Man Utd Preseason, the return of the fan

6 minutes ago, tombomb said:

How long do we persist with bird? Didn't have a great season last year. Not all the academy kids are gonna be good enough. It feels like he's been labelled as one of the academy successes without actually having done anything good on the pitch bar a brief spell when he was being bigged up by Rooney when he was playing next too him. I really think we need to improve on him and it really shouldnt be that difficult to find someone better. I think bird has found his level. I will get shot down by a few I'm sure, but some people need to take their rose tinted glasses off. Maybe a season on loan in league 1 would do him some good. 

Morrison looked like he could do a great job for us if we can keep his head right 

I think he might be worth persisting with for slightly more than than 70 minutes of a pre-season friendly.  

So far the second half demonstrates much of the same problems we saw last season. When pressure is applied to us we struggle to work the ball from the back and in midfield. The goals have both come from errors and sloppiness that again we saw last season. When given time on the ball we look like a tidy outfit even if we do lack a real cutting edge. But in the championship we're not going to get that time, we really need to work on beating a high press as we haven't demonstrated that we can do that really. 

Going forward, we're again using crosses and set pieces sometimes to good effect. We do seem to be again relying a bit too much on forwards to do a lot of the work with shots outside of the box without really carving out really good chances through open play coming through the middle. 

2 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

So far the second half demonstrates much of the same problems we saw last season. When pressure is applied to us we struggle to work the ball from the back and in midfield. The goals have both come from errors and sloppiness that again we saw last season. When given time on the ball we look like a tidy outfit even if we do lack a real cutting edge. But in the championship we're not going to get that time, we really need to work on beating a high press as we haven't demonstrated that we can do that really. 

Going forward, we're again using crosses and set pieces sometimes to good effect. We do seem to be again relying a bit too much on forwards to do a lot of the work with shots outside of the box without really carving out really good chances through open play coming through the middle. 

We need a creative midfielder. If we want better football, we need better players. It's as simple as that. Always has been and always will be.

4 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Need to sit down for a minute. A balanced, well thought out post without having to resort to knee jerk extremist prejudices. What is the world coming to.

Edited by Tyler Durden
Can't spell

1 minute ago, Rammy03 said:

We need a creative midfielder. If we want better football, we need better players. It's as simple as that. Always has been and always will be.

I think part of it is that and I definitely take that on board. But, I do think the primary issue is the movement on the pitch that with a bit of work could be addressed. If we look at CKR's goal (it was a great strike) but there was literally no-one making a run beyond him which is why he shot. It was similar to last season where CKR would score some fantastic low percentage goals and oftentimes it was because the movement beyond him wasn't there which meant he was forced into shooting. 

9 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

This is literally a team made up of youngsters - and I know derbys team has youngsters but these players are essentially from the u23s so I don’t think you can relate it to last season. 

My pet hate resurfaces. Sibbo (currently playing on the right) nicks the ball and wins a freekick 10 yards inside the opposition half. It's a decent attacking opportunity with 5 minutes to go. Instead of attacking, the freekick is passed backwards 30 yards and we end up losing the ball. It makes you want to bang your head against a wall.

1 minute ago, Ramos said:

This is literally a team made up of youngsters - and I know derbys team has youngsters but these players are essentially from the u23s so I don’t think you can relate it to last season. 

These issues were present in the first 15 minutes of the second half before we threw on all the youngsters.

11 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Got to hope Morrison is that player 

First half side we’re moving it quite nicely through the lines .. 2nd half side was as some have alluded to move like last seasons lot

16 minutes ago, The Key Club King said:

I think he might be worth persisting with for slightly more than than 70 minutes of a pre-season friendly.  

You take one sentence of my point completely out of context and ignore the rest of what I've said to try and be a smart arse? Max bird has been struggling defensively for a year now and offers next to nothing going forward. I would say we could find someone better to play that in that position. I'd hate to see his pass completion percentage on passes that go forwards. 

Played well Derby, Morrison surprised me he looked good maybe we will be 13th time lucky. Only worry is Bird I hope we are not relying on him to anchor the midfield this season.

3 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Played well Derby, Morrison surprised me he looked good maybe we will be 13th time lucky. Only worry is Bird I hope we are not relying on him to anchor the midfield this season.

Watch out speaking thruths here, some people don't take it very well 

1 minute ago, tombomb said:

You take one sentence of my point completely out of context and ignore the rest of what I've said to try and be a smart arse? Max bird has been struggling defensively for a year now and offers next to nothing going forward. I would say we could find someone better to play that in that position. I'd hate to see his pass completion percentage on passes that go forwards. 

Couldn’t agree any more on bird. He was class but not got any confidence in himself anymore. The bird from cocus first season was immense and now for some strange reason he offers nothing going forward or defensively and offers the odd sideways pass. I really want to see the bird from 2 seasons ago who came forward with the ball and was slick with his 1 2 passes but after last season we can’t carry anyone. Also from the first half shows we need more attacking options I though aluko and Morrison and even baldock offered what we need and add in jozwiak and ckr and Lawrence quite like the look of that