*IF* we do stay up....

IslandExile

Seem to remember Frank fans in the media hailed his success by finishing where we did the season before without the 3 star loans. However happy for the media to do it again and anything else they want if we can somehow just stay up. That is all that matters. Cone on Derby please!!!!!!

Whether we stay up or get relegated it should just be seen as an opportunity rather than negative or otherwise labels. I am seeing. 
Our priority is to bring in some decent experience with the right mentality on the field. The club have been totally unfair on the development of our young players through over selection. I don’t blame Rooney for this as he has tried to rest them but has little alternative. if we have to sell some young talent to raise funds then this is what we have to do. 
whatever the result on Saturday, it is onwards and upwards having cleared out a weak bunch of players. 
I am looking forward to the next phase. ?

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

But when it is 2 consecutive managers that have had the same problem (scoring goals) then maybe you begin to question whether it is the players?

I don't think Rooney has done a good job by any stretch of the imagination but dont see the harm in letting him have a go with his own players next season (whatever division we are in).

Its amazing that so many fans, who slate MM for firing managers, and demanding stability are also the ones that want managers fired at the first sign of adversity!

I'd like some stability too but I don't believe Rooney is the man to provide it because to put it bluntly, he is not qualified for the job in terms of experience, current performance or actual qualifications. He might well go on to become a very good manager, but why should we be his proving ground where he is allowed to make damaging mistakes before taking a more competent version of himself somewhere more glamorous?

Based on his performance so far he has not done a good job and I think it's riskier to give him the new owners cheque book than it is to find a different manager. If he goes out and buys half a squad then gets himself sacked four months in to the season we are back to square one saying "oh well this isn't our current managers squad, if only we'd got someone decent in sooner and given them the money".

Edited by JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta

8 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I'd like some stability too but I don't believe Rooney is the man to provide it because to put it bluntly, he is not qualified for the job in terms of experience, current performance or actual qualifications. He might well go on to become a very good manager, but why should we be his proving ground where he is allowed to make damaging mistakes before taking a more competent version of himself somewhere more glamorous?

Based on his performance so far he has not done a good job and I think it's riskier to give him the new owners cheque book than it is to find a different manager. If he goes out and buys half a squad then gets himself sacked four months in to the season we are back to square one saying "oh well this isn't our current managers squad, if only we'd got someone decent in sooner and given them the money".

You make some very good points, I do think whoever we entrust to spend what money is in the budget has to be someone we can see being here in say 2-3 seasons time, that for me is not Rooney.

I know a long shot but I'd be trying my utmost to bring in Wilder or Howe IF...we stay up ....fingers crossed for saturday but we haven't won a game in weeks and this is our last chance saloon ......

8 hours ago, ramit said:

For me, this is Rooney's most inexcusable fault.  To allow his players to even contemplate dropping their heads when faced with adversity, that crucial time when they should and need to be fired up and raring to make their mark.  i have never understood that kind of mentality in players, nor the seeming tolerance of it.  Football is a war game, it is not for the weak, below or above.

Now you’ve mentioned it, every time the camera goes to the bench when we do concede Rooney just looks bewildered and disappointed with his own head down, a good manager would be right up against that touch line shouting encouragement and trying to pick them back up.

I said early on that I find it incredibly difficult to support Rooney mainly from a moral view.

I can't overlook several things. His performances as a player, his fight and desire as a player. Keeping himself in shape. He was entirely disrespectful, to his manager, his players, the club and the fans by not looking after himself. He had the talent and experience to be our star but he was the opposite.

He was given the job, he was who the prospective new owners wanted. Maybe we only chose him for financial reasons. He wasn't a reluctant hero, he wanted the job, he believed with no experience he could lead us. He believed he could lead us with no fitness on the pitch. Pure arrogance.

I don't like that he blamed it all on Cocu, I don't like that the club was classless in the everyone is happy and smiling training stories. He said he knew what to do, he said these players should be nowhere near the bottom 3. Well, look where we are.

Everything about him is inconsistent, his line ups, his tactics, the way he treats his players. I thought Whittaker was handled very badly, he should have hated scoring past us, but he didn't.

I can appreciate this has been a tough time, I think this would have been a tough season whoever was in charge but it has not been good enough for a long time.

There really isn't much to like about football currently. There isn't much to like about this club anymore. And now I see our next prospective new owner is being a fool on twitter. Arrogance. Somehow despite our position we still reek of it.

The sooner the Rooney story ends at this club the better. 

14 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

There really isn't much to like about football currently. There isn't much to like about this club anymore. And now I see our next prospective new owner is being a fool on twitter. Arrogance. Somehow despite our position we still reek of it.

This. This sums up my feelings exactly.

1 hour ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I wonder where Man Utd might be today had they taken the same approach with Alex Ferguson...

17 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

Ferguson had managed before. Successfully aswell for many years.

12 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

He'd had managerial success prior to getting that job. He didn't hang his boots up then walk straight in to it. 

Fair comments.

How many managers that reach the top level start out managing in a level lower than the Championship?

Havent we tried experienced managers in Pearson and Cocu?

There is no set formula for who makes a good manager.

Sure there are ones out there that will probably guarantee results but they tend to be ones with a style that our fans think we are above (see Gary Rowett).

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Fair comments.

How many managers that reach the top level start out managing in a level lower than the Championship?

Sure there are ones out there that will probably guarantee results but they tend to be ones with a style that our fans think we are above (see Gary Rowett).

Brian Clough finishing 18th in his first season with us would have been a better choice than Alex Ferguson who had success domestically and in Europe prior to going to Man Utd. 

I have no idea what Derby fans were saying about Brian at that time since I wasn't alive, but I have so far seen nothing from Rooney that suggests to me he will be a good manager. Perhaps fans said the same things about Brian back then and I'm happy to be proven wrong with Rooney, but personally I can't see him achieving anything with us.

13 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Fair comments.

Fair points, every appointment carries a level of risk but I believe that a more experienced hand would be less of a risk than sticking with Project Rooney at this time although I'll freely admit I don't know who that could realistically be.

I base that on the state of the club off the pitch as much as on it.

Edited by JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta

59 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Brian Clough finishing 18th in his first season with us

Brian Clough had begun his mangerial career coaching the Sunderland youth team, followed by Hartlepools Utd in the old Division 4, who were consistently the worse club in the league in those days.

His partner, Peter Taylor had managerial experience, with some success in the old Southern League with Burton Albion.

Both of them had seen how tough it was at the bottom, encouraging, cajoling, bol**king players, before moving higher up to a bigger club.

Rooney shouldn't be in charge of the club at this juncture nevermind next season so it's laughable to even countenance what an absolutely unmitigated disaster that would be. 

And there's posters saying he deserves a go next season if he keeps us up, can't get my head around that have to say. 

He's actually contrived to do his best to get us relegated, not purposely before anyone starts on, but he's down to his 9th life on Saturday. The Rooney experiment should have been put to a stop weeks ago.