*IF* we do stay up....

IslandExile

2 hours ago, GenBr said:

Brian Clough finishing 18th in his first season with us would have been a better choice than Alex Ferguson who had success domestically and in Europe prior to going to Man Utd. 

I have no idea what Derby fans were saying about Brian at that time since I wasn't alive, but I have so far seen nothing from Rooney that suggests to me he will be a good manager. Perhaps fans said the same things about Brian back then and I'm happy to be proven wrong with Rooney, but personally I can't see him achieving anything with us.

As someone who had a season ticket during Brian Clough's first season  I could see that he was building something special and at no time did I feel despondent. It was so special to be a Derby fan in those days. 

4 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

Ferguson had been very successful prior to Man United, it's absolutely no comparison. 

A bad choice for showing that some managers need time to settle and build their own team, and that pulling the trigger early could be a bad decision?

I don't think today Jim Smith would have made Christmas in his first season,  very poor form and no sign of improvement until magically Igor signed and it turned around.  Today we wouldn't have been able to sign him in the November. 

8 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

I wonder where Man Utd might be today had they taken the same approach with Alex Ferguson...

The Alex Ferguson that had won European silverware as a Manager before managing Manure...that one ?????????????????????????

32 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

A bad choice for showing that some managers need time to settle and build their own team, and that pulling the trigger early could be a bad decision?

Yes, a ludicrous comparison, can’t think of a worse example ?

17 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Yeah, sorry, you're the second to say that I've jumped the gun with this discussion. Perhaps, you're right.

Just seems a long time until Saturday and then, whichever way it goes, people may not be in the right state of mind for a rational debate.

You may be a little bit previous but youve got over thirty likes which must be some sort of a record I reckon!

1 minute ago, Brammie Steve said:

You may be a little bit previous but youve got over thirty likes which must be some sort of a record I reckon!

I guess the feeling is strong.

We're all Derby fans - whoever we blame for the current predicament, and let's face it, there are a lot of factors at play.

But this has been one of the most frustrating seasons that I can remember and I go back to '68. So, I've endured some pretty bad times.

I just hope the future is a lot better than the present. That we can all start enjoying the football again, whatever division we're in, whoever the owner and manager might be.

We just want entertaining football that provides us with a respite from the toils of our daily grind.

COYR ? give us something to cheer.

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

The Alex Ferguson that had won European silverware as a Manager before managing Manure...that one ?????????????????????????

Yep, the Alex Ferguson that had Man United in 15th place after a bad run of results but was given time to turn it round and then went on to win everything going...that one.

10 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yep, the Alex Ferguson that had Man United in 15th place after a bad run of results but was given time to turn it round and then went on to win everything going...that one.

The reason we are laughing at your post is that Ferguson was no rookie at that time, he was an experienced Manager who had won European competitions at Aberdeen, so comparing him with the novice who has only managed 30 games or so is a tad silly don’t you think ?