*IF* we do stay up....

IslandExile

If we do stay up, by winning or drawing our last game of the season against a team below us in the table, after the run of defeats we have had, then please do not let anyone claim this as a triumph for Rooney.

Rooney-ites will point out that we were bottom of the table when Cocu left. Without those few games where Bielik played and CKR was fully fit - something Cocu never had - we would be firmly bottom now.

Indeed, there are those who wanted Cocu out, saying that he should've done better with this squad, even with the entire forward line missing through injury - who are now using the poor quality of the squad and injuries as an excuse for Rooney.

The squad is weak but, not so weak that they should be fighting relegation on the last day of the season.

Rooney may be inexperienced but he has not inspired or organized the players. He has never settled on selection, formation or tactics - from one game to the next, we've been left guessing what the line up will be and whether we'll play hoofball or football in order to match the opposition. The substitutions he makes, both timing and personnel, are plain and simply bizarre.

If we stay up, it will be a blessed relief. It will not be a success.

COYR ?  

You're right, this shouldn't be viewed as a success.

But right now, I just want us to win on Saturday and ensure we'll be playing championship football next year.

Leave all this Rooney talk until after the season.

Stay up, wipe the slate clean and put it all behind us. Then focus on moving the club forwards again.

18 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Rooney may be inexperienced but he has not inspired or organized the players.

For me, this is Rooney's most inexcusable fault.  To allow his players to even contemplate dropping their heads when faced with adversity, that crucial time when they should and need to be fired up and raring to make their mark.  i have never understood that kind of mentality in players, nor the seeming tolerance of it.  Football is a war game, it is not for the weak, below or above.

Edited by ramit
typo

4 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I'd snap your hand off to have this discussion come Saturday evening.

Yeah, sorry, you're the second to say that I've jumped the gun with this discussion. Perhaps, you're right.

Just seems a long time until Saturday and then, whichever way it goes, people may not be in the right state of mind for a rational debate.

Edited by IslandExile

2 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Where were we when he was given the job? 
where were we at the end of the season?

success. 

I know this is a wind up, but I'll bite anyway. He took over after 7 games (if I remember correctly). It wasn't going to be reflective of where we would have finished even if we would have stuck with Cocu. 

3 hours ago, IslandExile said:

If we do stay up, by winning or drawing our last game of the season against a team below us in the table, after the run of defeats we have had, then please do not let anyone claim this as a triumph for Rooney.

Rooney-ites will point out that we were bottom of the table when Cocu left. Without those few games where Bielik played and CKR was fully fit - something Cocu never had - we would be firmly bottom now.

Indeed, there are those who wanted Cocu out, saying that he should've done better with this squad, even with the entire forward line missing through injury - who are now using the poor quality of the squad and injuries as an excuse for Rooney.

The squad is weak but, not so weak that they should be fighting relegation on the last day of the season.

Rooney may be inexperienced but he has not inspired or organized the players. He has never settled on selection, formation or tactics - from one game to the next, we've been left guessing what the line up will be and whether we'll play hoofball or football in order to match the opposition. The substitutions he makes, both timing and personnel, are plain and simply bizarre.

COYR ?  

I'm in complete agreement with this. Where we are now is not because of managerial nouse it's because of Bielik. He is the reason we're not already relegated, along with a fully fit CKR. 

Having said that, I'm not for sacking Rooney and would like to see him have the chance to bring in a few players this summer along with being able to implement a bit of an identity. Whether that be in league one or not. We have such a low level of confidence and lack of leadership, a couple of shrewd signings could make a huge difference, especially if we see Bielik back to his best and we see development in the academy lads, including those who have stepped into the first team this season. 

For now, focus needs to be on Saturday. If we go down, this season has obviously been a disaster that will shape the club for years. If we don't, its still been a disaster.

6 hours ago, IslandExile said:

COYR ?  

I don’t think you will have many coming on here defending Rooney should we get the right result. We definitely know of one individual but cant think who else would.

I backed him for a long time and felt the stick he was getting was premature as his record at the time did not justify it. Since the Luton game it’s been a complete shambles and the Preston game in particular was the turning point for me against Rooney.

If he is in charge next season he would have my backing simply because I want us to do well but my word he would need a good start because otherwise things could become toxic very quickly.

I personally hope we don’t see him next season and that Saturday is his last game whatever happens.

Edited by BramcoteRam84

If his remit, when he was offered the job, was to keep us in the division and he manages it, how can you say it is not a success?

Its a bit weird that you seem to want to discount the period when both Bielik and CKR were fit, and say we would have been bottom without it. Its just as easy to say that had they both remained fit we would be pushing for play offs.

For me, if Rooney keeps us up, he deserves a crack next season when hopefully he will be able to bring his own players in. 

Win, lose or draw on Saturday this has to be Rooney's last game in charge

He's shown nothing to warrant he deserves to be in charge next season & if I was the new owner I certainly wouldn't trust him with a penny of my money to fund the rebuild.

Can anyone name the last Derby County manager not called Paul Jewel who lost 6 on the bounce & kept his job?

Whatever division we are in we need an experienced manager with a proven system of play who knows the players he needs to make that system work

Forget all the Hollywood appointments lets make sure we get a manager who knows what he is doing whatever division we are in

Rooney still being in charge next season is a far bigger worry for me than whatever happens on Saturday

10 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

If his remit, when he was offered the job, was to keep us in the division and he manages it, how can you say it is not a success?

Its a bit weird that you seem to want to discount the period when both Bielik and CKR were fit, and say we would have been bottom without it. Its just as easy to say that had they both remained fit we would be pushing for play offs.

For me, if Rooney keeps us up, he deserves a crack next season when hopefully he will be able to bring his own players in. 

It's the way we lose games that worries me. It's the same things on repeat which tells me that the players and coaches are unable to fix our problems or unable to see them. 

Neither of those options are great and neither of them point to longer term success in my opinion. 

Edited by JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta

You could argue that with out the managerial bounce we appeared to have when Rooney took over, we could have been relegated a while back.

This season is no way a success whatever happens. 

But why are we blaming Rooney?????????????????

Cocu was sacked and Rooney was instilled in his place? Why? Money (he is already on the books? Poor management from the top there.

At least Rooney had the cahooners to take the job on, very risky when the team is at the foot of the table in your first tenure as a manager, this could seriously dent his stock for all time in that role.

Cocu in my opinion was dealt a very very very poor hand and if he was backed, he might have been a success. Yes I agree we can't play his style of football because we don't have the players. But at another club with funding, Perhaps he would have been a success. Was this his fault??? Maybe for not being adaptable to championship football but overall, no not his fault.

I have said this elsewhere, we have a team cobbled together from Cloughs days here, and every other manager in between. Pretty difficult to play a style when your team is built on several styles.

So going back to the original post, no this season will not be seen as a success, staying up will be a bonus but should not be seen as a success, but I feel it is a little harsh on Rooney who having been employed without his coaching badges, no experience or funding is very harsh.

9 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

It's the way we lose games that worries me. It's the same things on repeat which tells me that the players and coaches are unable to fix our problems or unable to see them. 

Neither of those options are great and neither of them point to longer term success in my opinion. 

But when it is 2 consecutive managers that have had the same problem (scoring goals) then maybe you begin to question whether it is the players?

I don't think Rooney has done a good job by any stretch of the imagination but dont see the harm in letting him have a go with his own players next season (whatever division we are in).

Its amazing that so many fans, who slate MM for firing managers, and demanding stability are also the ones that want managers fired at the first sign of adversity!