Wayne Rooney

EdinRam

Freedom of Derby  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Yeah, the first half against Blackburn was bang on. If he'd have stuck with that as opposed to the mirroring idea he's got going on in his head then I'm fairly confident we wouldn't be where we are now. 

Who changed his mind.   

McClaren ?

12 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

You linked the wrong ones but ultimately it kind of proves my point- the essential parts of the squad are very similar- we have replaced bogle with byrne, hamer with marshall (deffo an upgrade), martin with ckr (the one area i do agree is a downgrade) the loans of edmunson and menghi are supposed to have beefed up the defence and are more than an adequate replacement for an injured davies and Roberts is just as good as jof who is now at rotherham. So where are the massive deficiencies that have led us to this position?

I agree with you mate.  One omission I'd add though is we haven't replaced Huddlestone .  We have no midfielder with any craft. I assume the thinking was Rooney could do some of the job with Bird improving in this regard with Bielik to come back.  Neither has happened as Bird is Butterfield on a bad day and Rooney spent 4 weeks of eating dominos everyday, then Bielik bust his knee. We perhaps have 4 goals from midfield this season.

In January we should have used any available resources to sign a decent midfielder on loan who could score and create allowing Shinnie to do his actual job and a striker with pace.  We wasted the last toss of the coin on quantity over quality.  Mengi hadn't kicked a first team ball. one was coming back from a hernia op, we got a lesser spotted Beningame, Roberts has one goal in 70 games and Boro had seen nothing from him and Gregory couldn't get a kick at Stoke and was the same player we had in Richards.  Gregory has done better than I thought to be fair but has gone the way you'd expect from a striker in his 30's who hasn't played for a year.

Ultimately when Rooney leaves, hopefully this time next week he will be gone, he can look back at why he failed. For me not bringing in an experienced number 2 (as the season went on he could of swallowed some pride and asked Mac), his tactics and substitutions were ill thought, failure to strengthen the squad in January (genuinely how many would we want permanently) and finally his failure to get the players fighting for him and the shirt.

Stay up he must go - if we stay up it will purely be due to others failing to take advantage

Go down he must go - 6 defeats on the bounce in our position is unforgivable

47 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Are we all in agreement that, if we are relegated next weekend, that he needs to go?

Be that resign or sacked?

Or are there any on here who would like to see him lead us into next season in League One? 

Not a loaded question. Just interested to see if relegation is the line we have drawn for him.

Whatever happens, relegation or survival, he needs to be gone. I'm not sure I can stomach another Rooney-led Derby County for another year, along with more talk of financial instability and ownership issues. 

1 hour ago, Nuwtfly said:

Are we all in agreement that, if we are relegated next weekend, that he needs to go?

Be that resign or sacked?

Or are there any on here who would like to see him lead us into next season in League One? 

Not a loaded question. Just interested to see if relegation is the line we have drawn for him.

Has to go either way. Us scraping to safety on the final day is not an achievement, it should have been a given. 

Not only do I not have faith he can get results, the football is hateful and there is a complete lack of ideas. 

I'm now beginning to think the main reason we hired and haven't sack Rooney is purely so we wouldn't have to bring anyone else on the pay roll. Any manger coming in would have wanted 2-3 of his own staff at least, no one would have come in on there own to work with a bunch on novice coaches. 

In fairness to Rooney he hasn't been able bring in any of the coaches he wants, imagine how Lampard would have done without Jody.

We sacked Cocu and his assistants and never replaced them, all we did was promote unqualified coaches who were already here.

Just now, BaaLocks said:

I'm with Simon Jordan on this - who made the point on Talksport that there is more logic in keeping him if we are relegated. He can learn his craft a bit and build his team. Many on here would say that's not possible (I can sympathise that if we lose seven on the bouce it's hard to justify keeping any manager) but it is fair to say if it's going to happen it can't be at this level. So, my conclusion would be that if we stay up he has to go, if we go down I'd give him till Christmas (but he might not want to stay anyway). The main point regarding keeping him is also if we can afford to lose him - another two years of wages piddled up a wall. We really are the softest touch going.

Oh, and those bemoaning rookie managers, take a look at Rangers - you can poo poo the quality but it didn't work out too bad for them did it?

I can see your point about League 1 being a better place for a manager to learn his trade, rather than the championship, but this approach would be effectively rewarding failure.  The evidence suggests that Rooney would struggle in League 1 also, so keeping him on would surely damage our chances of promotion.  League 1 is not an easy division, just look at Sunderland and Ipswich struggles to get back to the Championship for example.

I agree completely that he has to go if we somehow manage to survive, although the cost involved will be a problem as you say.

Obviously all rookie managers have to start somewhere, but comparing Rooney and Gerrard isn't really apt.  Gerrard had managed Liverpool's U-18s and was well on the way to completing his pro-license when he took over at Rangers, Rooney had no managerial experience at all and  hadn't even started his pro-license when he was given the job at Derby.  Also, I'm not having a go at Scottish football at all, but the Championship is a more competitive environment for Derby, than the Scottish League is for Rangers or Celtic. 

If we go down on Saturday I think it would only be fair for Wazza to pay back all the money he has had out of DCFC. It is reported he still makes £200k a week from his image rights . I am sure he can manage to finish his £20 mill extension out of that. After all it is Mel that is £200 mill out of pocket at the moment and it could get worse for him still.

1 hour ago, Curtains said:

Who changed his mind.   

McClaren ?

Doubt it was McClaren as he never did that for us and has always had a distinctive style and philosophy. My guess is the genius wayne came up with it as he's the one who has stated this is what we're doing for the last 7 games. I think he's trying to be too clever and as a result been incredibly stupid.

13 minutes ago, Highgate said:

I can see your point about League 1 being a better place for a manager to learn his trade, rather than the championship, but this approach would be effectively rewarding failure.  The evidence suggests that Rooney would struggle in League 1 also, so keeping him on would surely damage our chances of promotion.  League 1 is not an easy division, just look at Sunderland and Ipswich struggles to get back to the Championship for example.

I agree completely that he has to go if we somehow manage to survive, although the cost involved will be a problem as you say.

Obviously all rookie managers have to start somewhere, but comparing Rooney and Gerrard isn't really apt.  Gerrard had managed Liverpool's U-18s and was well on the way to completing his pro-license when he took over at Rangers, Rooney had no managerial experience at all and  hadn't even started his pro-license when he was given the job at Derby.  Also, I'm not having a go at Scottish football at all, but the Championship is a more competitive environment for Derby, than the Scottish League is for Rangers or Celtic. 

All good points except the last one, I think the pressure of taking Celtic's 'ten in a row' off them, plus their achievements in Europe, has been a more competitive situation than Derby have found themselves in this season. A W1D1L1 ratio would have been enough to see us safe weeks ago.

BTW - you first point is key, if we go down he will have lost seven on the bounce. I just don't see how any manager can expect to keep their job after that. Even Jewell had only lost six on the bounce in 2008.

20 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

If we go down on Saturday I think it would only be fair for Wazza to pay back all the money he has had out of DCFC. It is reported he still makes £200k a week from his image rights . I am sure he can manage to finish his £20 mill extension out of that. After all it is Mel that is £200 mill out of pocket at the moment and it could get worse for him still.

Don't be silly. 

57 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

twin peaks pete martell GIF by Twin Peaks on Showtime

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

Do we ask all the players to give back their wages too?

4 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

Second division clubs that have been in the playoffs for the past 8 years and then are in the relegation zone are no place for a rookie. If you're happy having an unqualified inexperienced player managing us that's fine but I'm not.  Part of being run badly is getting a player to with no qualifications or record to manage this difficult situation and has led us to this situation. 

Yeah and in that 8 years in the play offs (not factually correct but I will let It slide) didn’t we have a rookie manager in Clement setting us up for them and another rookie manager with zero qualifications in Fat Frank..? 
Rooney took on a total basket case of a club, we should be thankful he didn’t walk away himself 

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

Someone employed him, so more the fool them.

There's still the little matter of paying off the remainder of his contract too if he does get removed from his role, unless you think he should be waiving that too.

23 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Yeah and in that 8 years in the play offs (not factually correct but I will let It slide) didn’t we have a rookie manager in Clement setting us up for them and another rookie manager with zero qualifications in Fat Frank..? 
Rooney took on a total basket case of a club, we should be thankful he didn’t walk away himself 

No sure why we should be thankful he didn't walk off, we had Wassell who could of took over again, the results couldn't be too much worse ? if we go down and Rooney stays (which I admit is very unlikely) I imagine we would struggle badly to pay his wages and we might be praying he leaves. 

4 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Lol. The point was about who would save us THIS season. Hughton not doing much better at F*rest with a big squad with some big names!

LMFAO - Should we end up on away days to Accrington Stanley and the like next season, we can all console ourselves with the fact that Forest only finished mid-table.  I'm sure that'll come as a massive relief to the Derby faithful! ???

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

Don't be silly. 

Not only isn't it silly, isn't it true that we signed him as a player because he was low cost? If 32Red paid his wages, I think we probably thought we couldn't lose. Unfortunately I'd argue that deal could cost us far more than it cost 32Red. Honestly I wish we'd never let the media show take over - despite there being a really positive period where he was having a great impact. That was a long time ago now, and I can barely remember it.

12 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Not only isn't it silly, isn't it true that we signed him as a player because he was low cost? If 32Red paid his wages, I think we probably thought we couldn't lose. Unfortunately I'd argue that deal could cost us far more than it cost 32Red. Honestly I wish we'd never let the media show take over - despite there being a really positive period where he was having a great impact. That was a long time ago now, and I can barely remember it.

I agree on getting rid of Rooney and the media circus. The idea of Rooney paying money back is silly and unrealistic. We should just fire him and move on.