Wayne Rooney

EdinRam

Freedom of Derby  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

45 minutes ago, RammingStone66 said:

No sure why we should be thankful he didn't walk off, we had Wassell who could of took over again, the results couldn't be too much worse ? if we go down and Rooney stays (which I admit is very unlikely) I imagine we would struggle badly to pay his wages and we might be praying he leaves. 

Wassall..! You remember some of the posts on here when we had him in charge...!?

24 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I agree on getting rid of Rooney and the media circus. The idea of Rooney paying money back is silly and unrealistic. We should just fire him and move on.

I mean, if we never paid him in the first place, how can we ask for it back? We only signed him because someone else funded him so "we couldn't lose" 

3 hours ago, DCFClks said:

I'm now beginning to think the main reason we hired and haven't sack Rooney is purely so we wouldn't have to bring anyone else on the pay roll. 

Could't afford not to give him the gig - i suspect the hand of the 32red deal was behind the thinking. I mean, if you have a deal that effectively saddles you with him for economic reasons and his football playing powers have fallen off a cliff then what do you do?

tbf, we should not condemn with hindsight, he was offered a temporary gig and put together a decent run before he got the job on a permanent in January (and I said at that time he had done enough to earn the role). Those were all sensible steps and he appeared to be learning well then.

Now his brain appears to have turned to puree and fallen out of his ears.......

3 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Yeah and in that 8 years in the play offs (not factually correct but I will let It slide) didn’t we have a rookie manager in Clement setting us up for them and another rookie manager with zero qualifications in Fat Frank..? 
Rooney took on a total basket case of a club, we should be thankful he didn’t walk away himself 

Clement had held coaching positions at Real Madrid amongst others and was fully qualified so that's totally irrelevant- I believe frank was the exception to the rule but was further along with the badges than Rooney and had some under 23 experience to boot? But if you look at the spine of that frank lampard team the fact he secured fewer points than Rowett did kind of also makes my point for me. Personally, i'd have loved it if he walked away 5 games ago and gave someone else a chance. 

Edited by Leeds Ram

34 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Could't afford not to give him the gig - i suspect the hand of the 32red deal was behind the thinking. I mean, if you have a deal that effectively saddles you with him for economic reasons and his football playing powers have fallen off a cliff then what do you do?

tbf, we should not condemn with hindsight, he was offered a temporary gig and put together a decent run before he got the job on a permanent in January (and I said at that time he had done enough to earn the role). Those were all sensible steps and he appeared to be learning well then.

Why did they give him an 18 month deal instead of just to the end of the season? and who was the "they"?

There's a debates as to who actually was the reason behind that good run, Rooney or Bielik? I think it was Bielik personally. 

Just now, DCFClks said:

Why did they give him an 18 month deal instead of just to the end of the season? and who was the "they"?

There's a debates as to who actually was the reason behind that good run, Rooney or Bielik? I think it was Bielik personally. 

Risky gambit. If we do well it's insurance against another club nicking him. On the other hand, if he's complete dog toffee you've screwed yourself. 

58 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

The galling thing was his 'playing' contract was up in the summer so assuming no automatic extension, I believe we could have parted ways then

Not unreasonable for Mel to believe Rooney could've offered value as a manager & most on here supported his decision to give Rooney the permanent job in January. No doubt he thought at that point Rooney would soon be in demand hence the length of the contract but I wonder what thought was given to the possibility that things would go wrong - especially as we'd not yet had a bad run under Rooney (i.e how would he react), with him being totally new to management & with him being so expensive.

It would be interesting to know if there were any provisions written into the contract i.e. what happens if we get relegated? Reports suggest that our players have relegation wage reduction clauses - I really hope the similar measures were also written into Rooney's managerial contract.

7 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

Let’s be honest now, at the time we were flying, you’d be hard to pressed to find many posters on here he didn’t think he should have been given the job permanently. We were winning games, keeping cleaning sheets (remember all the posts about how we’d gone so many games without facing a shot on target?) and more importantly we were gradually moving away from the relegation zone. Whats happened since the new contract though is the key injury to Beilik and the complete over complication of tactics in approach to each game.

2 minutes ago, Carnero said:

I've got some bad news for you...

"The 35-year-old takes up the position on a two-and-half-year deal which will run until the summer of 2023." ?

This ended any chance of Mel walking away with his credibility in tact. If it was down to the fake sheik, no contract should have been awarded prior to receipt of cleared funds. If it was down to Mel... 

It's a horrible end to his tenure, especially when you consider the financial costs and the toll it's taken on his health and it saddens me greatly that we've come to a place where both the club's commercial standing and Mel's reputation have been so markedly damaged.

8 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Let’s be honest now, at the time we were flying, you’d be hard to pressed to find many posters on here he didn’t think he should have been given the job permanently. We were winning games, keeping cleaning sheets (remember all the posts about how we’d gone so many games without facing a shot on target?) and more importantly we were gradually moving away from the relegation zone. Whats happened since the new contract though is the key injury to Beilik and the complete over complication of tactics in approach to each game.

But why a 2 year deal? would he not have accepted a contract until the end of the season? Or did he know we had no other choice and forced us to give him a 2 year?

Were we flying though? we won 6 out of 10  but lost the other 4, and before that we had a run were we went unbeaten for about 6 games but 4 of those were draws. 

It's just typical of Derby to go all in based on such brief good spells. Just like when when we sign players based of half a season of good form.