Wayne Rooney

EdinRam

Freedom of Derby  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We have never lost 6 in a row at this level of football we have never scored so few goals at this level of football.

It’s just a freakish season with no fans. People are trying to fathom the unfathomable. Don’t bother just give it up to bad luck. It may change at the weekend it may not but this season just is what it is.

Rooney is just the unlucky bloke in charge.

17 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

And think to themselves, no wonder that poo squad nearly went down. Silk purse out of a sows ear, can't be done.

Or think to themselves, yes they were poo but surely a half decent manager would have got a bit more fight out of them and not thrown away the chance they had when they'd lifted themselves clear.

You're doing a sterling job of standing up for Rooney but I'm not sure you're convincing many.

39 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I believe the stats (except for very recently) are very good when we score first?

What happens when we concede first and/or otherwise should tell us something about the players we needed. I think it's a very difficult task for any manager to turn around a squads mindset, especially without transfers. Whenever we've had what seems like an opportunity we have suffered some bad luck. Eg we only have one goal-scorer, find another and they get injured. 

I'm not convinced many managers could have done better than Rooney has. Look at how well the managers above us have done, eg Hughton - can't believe the squad he has to choose from. Rooney may not have always got it right but then lots of other managers also haven't got it right at times.

Here's hoping he gets some good luck, every manager needs it. #COYR

That's why I think Rooney is the wrong person to be manager right now. It's a hard task and it needs a proven manager to get the mentality right. Is Rooney able to do it? Maybe, maybe not - maybe it's beyond any manager.  But I would rather trust a manager with a record of trying and succeeding than a manager who we can see hasn't managed to turn it round and has never been successful in management.

Do you think (like him or hate him) that Warnock would inspire more belief in his team than the current Derby team have in themselves?

31 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Or think to themselves, yes they were poo but surely a half decent manager would have got a bit more fight out of them and not thrown away the chance they had when they'd lifted themselves clear.

You're doing a sterling job of standing up for Rooney but I'm not sure you're convincing many.

Name me a half-decent manager that would have come here, other than Cocu. ?

@GboroRam who do you think might have come here then - people wanted Hughton but he struggled at F*rest. Oh yeah Rafa he was coming... I think we would have ended up with a cheap version of Allardyce! Edit: Warnock would have struggled without any big strikers here surely? (I've previously been in favour of him 'doing a job' for us and then changing things, but that wasn't popular!)

Edited by RoyMac5

2 hours ago, Abu Derby said:

Give him good footballers - see what he can do then. 

Give me good footballers and I'd probably be able to pick an 11 to win matches.

What makes a good manager is when someone takes a bunch of misfits and turns them into a unit. Dare I say Billy. We had 1 main striker in Howard yet he managed to take us up.

Paul Cook and Wilder are modern examples of managers who can make a team from a rabble.

What confuses me is that when he first got the job, he said we have to go back to basics to get results. Which he did, results started to come in and we began to pull away from the bottom 3.

So why hasn’t he gone back to basics in the last 5 or 6 games. Why does it appear he has continued with zonal defending.  Adam Bolder saying on RD during the Swansea game that he is personally not a fan of zonal defending as it causes confusion at the back. 

10 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

@GboroRam who do you think might have come here then - people wanted Hughton but he struggled at F*rest. Oh yeah Rafa he was coming... I think we would have ended up with a cheap version of Allardyce! Edit: Warnock would have struggled without any big strikers here surely? (I've previously been in favour of him 'doing a job' for us and then changing things, but that wasn't popular!)

Howe, Evatt, Simpson, Eustace, Jones, Cook, Hassellbaink, Terry, Pardew, Warnock, McCarthy, Hughes, Hughton, Allardyce, McClaren... They've all got a few badges too ?‍♂️ 

I'd have taken any of them lot over Rooney and his clueless cabal.

21 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Roy serious question - do you actually believe what you are progressing on here as like other posters have already commented it's not convincing at all and your arguments are wafer thin.

The hackneyed argument well name me someone who would have done a better job than so and so is such a tired and redundant argument as it's instantly unable to be justified by any party in the argument, which says to me a lot of this is just bedevilment.

4 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Howe, Evatt, Simpson, Eustace, Jones, Cook, Hassellbaink, Terry, Pardew, Warnock, McCarthy, Hughes, Hughton, Allardyce, McClaren... They've all got a few badges too ?‍♂️ 

I'd have taken any of them lot over Rooney and his clueless cabal.

They were beating a path to our door. We saw the quality of other applicants didn't we, some young boy! I thought Pep might see it as a challenge but I understand him and Mel don't see eye to eye over Catalonian independence.

26 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Steve McClaren did come here!!

5 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Roy serious question - do you actually believe what you are progressing on here as like other posters have already commented it's not convincing at all and your arguments are wafer thin.

The hackneyed argument well name me someone who would have done a better job than so and so is such a tired and redundant argument as it's instantly unable to be justified by any party in the argument, which says to me a lot of this is just bedevilment.

It's sooooo easy to say another manager would have been a better appointment, didn't we have a better appointment in Cocu and he was floundering?

This is all akin to which ever player is out injured when they come back we'll see how they are world-beaters! 

Whether I think any of the aforementioned managers would have done a better job - and I repeat look at how Hughton struggled and look at his squad - doesn't matter. I don't believe that any manager of quality would have risked their reputation joining the club in the state we are in, financially and footballing wise. Wake up and smell the roses mate, we are not a good draw for managers!

More signs of fan entitlement. ?

Edited by RoyMac5

23 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

You said the squad is failing from confidence, and Rooney is doing as good a job as anyone could. I don't see any reason why you'd think that. 

Yes, lack of strikers would trouble any manager, but that's not what you were talking about. 

We are one different result from being out of the danger zone. I'm saying if a manager could have improved the squad mentality, surely we could have picked up one more result from the last half dozen games? 

Rooney was the wrong man at the wrong time. 

I'd argue we could have brought in mac3 as manager instead of Rooney (after all he's come here anyway, on a different basis). I don't know the commercials but I suspect the 32 Red sponsorship deal has been our downfall. If we declined the offer, Wayne never joins us and I guess we finish about 15th, even if we had Wassell in charge. 

All ifs buts and maybes but I still believe Wayne has failed to get the players performing to their full potential. 

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

They were beating a path to our door.

Yes they were. And if they hadn't been, we should have been beating a path to theirs. Employing a bunch of utter novices without a proper qualification between them, made no sense at all, as has been unequivocally proven.

You're only still waffling on about how everything is down to Cocu and Morris with Wazza utterly blameless because after you spent months going on about Rooney's 'wonderful footballing brain' you're now in danger of looking completely clueless.

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

It's sooooo easy to say another manager would have been a better appointment, didn't we have a better appointment in Cocu and he was floundering?

This is all akin to which ever player is out injured when they come back we'll see how they are world-beaters! 

Whether I think any of the aforementioned managers would have done a better job - and I repeat look at how Hughton struggled and look at his squad - doesn't matter. I don't believe that any manager of quality would have risked their reputation joining the club in the state we are in, financially and footballing wise. Wake up and smell the roses mate, we are not a good draw for managers!

More signs of fan entitlement. ?

But that's where you undermine your whole argument as yes it is easy as Rooney is doing such a diabolic job with the players he has at his disposal. 

32 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Give me good footballers and I'd probably be able to pick an 11 to win matches.

What makes a good manager is when someone takes a bunch of misfits and turns them into a unit. Dare I say Billy. We had 1 main striker in Howard yet he managed to take us up.

Paul Cook and Wilder are modern examples of managers who can make a team from a rabble.

We have a club built on sand at the moment, no stability, players being paid late, lots of injuries, players who aren’t ready for the first team, players who are out of contract very soon - Alex Furguson, never mind Cook or Wilder would make much from this house of straw.