Lee Buchanan - Gone to Werder Bremen

Sean

16 minutes ago, David said:

The EFL will make us send him, pay for his wages for the next season and deducted us 12 points for upsetting the Germans. 

Disappointing thing is if true, this sounds like he wants out. They wouldn’t pursue this if he is happy to stay at the club.

Can't help but believe this is agent shenanigans at play.

1 minute ago, StarterForTen said:

Can't help but believe this is agent shenanigans at play.

Yeah, free agent = better signing on fee, probably more money in the agents pocket as well.

Year down the line, that signing on fee would be less as he’s a League 1 player.

This should all be pretty much straight forward.

Did the club take up the option in the correct manner on time, and did the EFL approve it. If so we have nothing to worry about.

43 minutes ago, David said:

Yeah, free agent = better signing on fee, probably more money in the agents pocket as well.

Year down the line, that signing on fee would be less as he’s a League 1 player.

This should all be pretty much straight forward.

Did the club take up the option in the correct manner on time, and did the EFL approve it. If so we have nothing to worry about.

There being the problem. ??

I’m not a big fan of Buchanan, I’d like to see him sold this year anyway, but EFL shouldn’t really be stopping us taking up options for the good of the club. As long as we get a fee I’m happy 

1 hour ago, David said:

The EFL will make us send him, pay for his wages for the next season and deducted us 12 points for upsetting the Germans. 

Disappointing thing is if true, this sounds like he wants out. They wouldn’t pursue this if he is happy to stay at the club.

Genuinely  believe if Fozzy had played more at the end of the season we’d have had a a few more points. He gave us an out ball when that Buchanan can’t. 

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

He'd be the perfect LCB

Yep, he's a very good LCB in a back 3. I don't think he's got the prowess to be a LB high line/attacking team. His crossing isn't amazing and he's not quick enough.

This sounds like it's motivated via Buchanan and his agent, more so than Werder Bremen. I can't blame him wanting to move to the Bundesliga over sticking around in League One. I actually think the EFL will fight our corner on this, because they will want to look to protect assets from leaving the Football League. It would definitely be a bigger problem if it was a club in this country. 

I'm sure there is a reasonable outcome for all involved. A fair price for Buchanan, albeit lower than we would want, but a player who wants out gone as we continue to rebuild. 

I'm expecting good things from Lee. His form has not been at the level of that when he burst on the scene, but it seems nearly all of the young'uns experience a dip or two early on, Knight and Bird being examples, and I still believe that Buchanan can prove himself a big talent. Notts Forest aside, some decent clubs have been sniffing around so it's clear he's held in high regard.

3 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

I'm expecting good things from Lee. His form has not been at the level of that when he burst on the scene, but it seems nearly all of the young'uns experience a dip or two early on, Knight and Bird being examples, and I still believe that Buchanan can prove himself a big talent. Notts Forest aside, some decent clubs have been sniffing around so it's clear he's held in high regard.

This. I don't really get those who want to get rid when we're about to play in L1, unless we get a respectable fee. He's got plenty of room to improve, but he's shown he's adaptable and tough. He should be more than good enough for L1.

Just now, Crewton said:

This. I don't really get those who want to get rid when we're about to play in L1, unless we get a respectable fee. He's got plenty of room to improve, but he's shown he's adaptable and tough. He should be more than good enough for L1.

It's really odd, isn't it. It's almost like some are watching different games / players. I think some folk overlook the pressure these kids have been playing under the last season or two. Even seasoned warriors like Curtis and Jags have mentioned how hard it's been, but somehow our kids are meant to be impervious to it all.

I'm probably glass-half-full but I do expect all of the kids to take a big step forward with the shackles off the club and not every game being akin to a cup match. Even Max and Jason who are already at a very decent level. In recent years the academy has been key to our fight for survival. I'm more than hopeful it will now prove key to some modest success.

6 hours ago, Oldben said:

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/werder-bremen-interested-in-derby-player-despite-recent-contract-update/

Great news, happy to see him move on for 8 million plus, not a bad fee for a defender.

Yes, it's possible they'd want to offer less, and I definitely wouldn't sell him for less.

I'm keen to see a decent return on players, and international clubs should pay more.

A year from now they valued him at 30 million.

£8m?

Divide by 4 then take a third off because he will only have a 1 yr contract,

you would hope someone in the club, looking at the future strategy, is already planning to offer him a new contract. Extending his current deal by 1 year is wise, but not as wise as tying him down to a nice 4 year contract with a promotion bonus.

I'd imagine he's still on a pretty unspectacular contract given it's effectively his breakthrough season and there's not been any opportunity to reward him for breaking through.

1 hour ago, sage said:

£8m?

Divide by 4 then take a third off because he will only have a 1 yr contract,

Good job your not our manager, you'd bankrupt us with your decisions.

He will not be sold for that derisory amount.

17 minutes ago, Oldben said:

Good job your not our manager, you'd bankrupt us with your decisions.

He will not be sold for that derisory amount.

Stephen Pearce is still here mate, he'll go on transfermarkt to get the fee and sell him for 50k.