Derby vs Sheff W (H) Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

26 minutes ago, nottingram said:

The trouble with your last paragraph is that appointing a new manager mid season just strikes me as horribly inefficient, unless you have the right structure in place that you’ll be appointing a manager who will be able to work with what we have.

This summer we are at a complete crossroads where we are likely to have new ownership and potentially a whole new squad. If we are only going to give Rooney a dozen games before pulling the trigger, it makes no sense to let him have input on recruiting the upwards of 10 players we will need. It makes more sense, if we are sticking with him, to ride out a rough start for the longer term, but that is only if those in charge have complete faith in him. I don’t see how they can, if I am honest.

Tricky position to be in and I don’t really know the answer. My suspicion would be that a fresh start across the board is best, with an upwardly mobile manager such as Ian Evatt who has shown capability of building good squads in the image he wants to play at, at two different levels in the last two seasons.

Yes agree with this post entirely. 

Perfect time for a new manager.

Wouldn't be disappointed in the slightest if Rooney doesnt lead us next season, just don't think he should be getting slated as badly as he is.

20 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Your logic is faulty because Rooney only has 1 bad season to actually inform our views of his ability, wilder has 5(I think)  good seasons of management which we can point to and say he'd be a reasonable bet to be a success. I don't know how this is difficult to understand quite honestly, if someone has successful tenures at multiple English clubs they've got a record we can point to and give reasons as to why they may be successful here. If we keep Rooney there is no success, only 33 games where his win record is comparable to Paul Jewell and has claimed 7 points from the last 45 available. 

So you are happy to quote Rooney's points from games this season but we should ignore Wilders because he did well in other seasons, we will also ignore that he spent £25m on a striker that hasnt scored a single goal, afterall its not like we are in desperate need of buying a good striker. 

Im afraid your logic is equally faulty, both Pearson and Cocu proved that your previous cv counts for little if you don't settle at a club and hit the ground running.

Anyway, as I said I wouldn't be that bothered if Rooney moves on before the start of the next season. 

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

So you are happy to quote Rooney's points from games this season but we should ignore Wilders because he did well in other seasons, we will also ignore that he spent £25m on a striker that hasnt scored a single goal, afterall its not like we are in desperate need of buying a good striker. 

Im afraid your logic is equally faulty, both Pearson and Cocu proved that your previous cv counts for little if you don't settle at a club and hit the ground running.

Anyway, as I said I wouldn't be that bothered if Rooney moves on before the start of the next season. 

You don't think past success can give us an idea on future performances? 

Actually it's not, I'm not suggesting past success guarantees future success merely it gives us an idea of what the manager can do in the right circumstances. Having data points to actually look at a manager's performance is a good thing as opposed to an unqualified rookie who you're simply hoping will do a good job. There is reasonable evidence to think chris wilder might do a good job for us, there is no evidence for Rooney. 

Pearson is a tricky one as I think if we'd have given him more time he would have probably been a success here. Albeit his appointment was odd given his style completely contrasted with what we'd been going for in previous seasons. Cocu didn't have experience in the English second division- he was successful with PSV in Holland where the conditions and players were very different from here. 

19 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

Am I missing something here? Why is he so bitter? 

He wears Canada Goose too so I have no sympathy for him. Awful company who massacre millions of animals ?

Still not over what happened yesterday....

what a rollercoaster 

Neither team all season had come from behind to win so when we went 2-1 up it was never going to finish like that likewise when it went 2-3, I’m just happy it ended in our favour for once.

it’s been a pretty awful season on and off the pitch so survival was massive for us as a club! 

As for the players celebrating after with the fans I don’t blame them a young squad that has been chucked under the bus a lot this season they deserved to celebrate in the end! 

4 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

Your logic is faulty because Rooney only has 1 bad season to actually inform our views of his ability, wilder has 5(I think)  good seasons of management which we can point to and say he'd be a reasonable bet to be a success. I don't know how this is difficult to understand quite honestly, if someone has successful tenures at multiple English clubs they've got a record we can point to and give reasons as to why they may be successful here. If we keep Rooney there is no success, only 33 games where his win record is comparable to Paul Jewell and has claimed 7 points from the last 45 available. 

Not too difficult to understand is it ?

5 minutes ago, Rampage said:

At that point we were as good as relegated and I firmly believed it but.... Super Waghorn

Putting Curtis on the bench and then putting him into the game was risky but ultimately brilliant decision by Rooney.  This added to the faith he showed by keeping faith in waggy got us across the line

15 minutes ago, Spanish said:

Putting Curtis on the bench and then putting him into the game was risky but ultimately brilliant decision by Rooney.  This added to the faith he showed by keeping faith in waggy got us across the line

Curtis needs another year or a job in Academy or Defence Coach for first team.

Anyone do what I did and not watch the game? Couldn't bring myself to watch it. I'm pragmatic and football is just football, but let's be honest it means quite a bit to many people.

Had a look around Sheffield forums and twitter feeds over the last 24 hours. Their fans are exactly how I would have expected our fans to be if we went down.

Other clubs fans and a few of ours are laughing at the "celebrations" after the game. I honestly believe this game could be a "sliding doors" moment for the club. I shudder to think what would have happened if we had gone down. I've kept my powder dry on finances and takeovers, but I cant see how we would not have been another Bolton, Wigan or Pompey if we had gone down. We still might be. Who knows. 

However it was done. However shambolic it may have been. However embarrassing it may have been celebrating. We simply had to stay up. Forget all the ifs buts and maybes. This season has been like watching a car crash in slow motion. Thankfully it is over and hopefully we can move forward.

Whys Warne so upset then.  Is it us agreeing to play them 24 hours after a game was called off to help them with their mismanagement of covid amongst the squad or is it giving them a player on loan for the season to boost their squad.

Back to League 1 you moaning Bamford and take that big mouthed gob poo with you.