Rooney Out!

Birdyabroad

Pointless debates about Rooney as a player. The generation aspect will always make it difficult to compare. Rooney was the best of his generation, no doubt whatsoever, not just his incredible goal scoring record but his overall contribution to the team. His workmate for United was phenomenal.

Shearer was similar, worked his socks off and contributed to the team.

Players like Lineker, Greaves, maybe even the greatest England forward of all time, Steve Bloomer, were out and out goal scorers, poachers, hitmen, predators, goal hangers, whatever you want to call them. quick as lightning over ten yards, intelligent, read the game well and found themselves in dangerous positions by instinct. I'd put Bobby Davison in that sort of group, (not saying he was as good as those but he had that instinct).

So, Rooney as a player? Pretty faultless, up there with the best as a prolific goalscorer but also contributed numerous assists and defensive work to his teams. Created a lot of his own goals.

Rooney as a manager? He most certainly must want to be a manager. He's a multimillionaire yet he's spending his time in cold, empty stadiums trying to get players who are a million miles below his standard to perform as a team under horrendous circumstances.

He faces the flak in interviews, doesn't hide, he seems to understand the responsibility and the expectation of managing a club like ours.

He's taking it seriously and prepared to put the hard yards in, do his apprenticeship and learn his trade.

He'll keep us up and make us competitive next season imo.

25 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Pointless debates about Rooney as a player. The generation aspect will always make it difficult to compare. Rooney was the best of his generation, no doubt whatsoever, not just his incredible goal scoring record but his overall contribution to the team. His workmate for United was phenomenal.

Players like Lineker, Greaves, maybe even the greatest England forward of all time, Steve Bloomer, were out and out goal scorers, poachers, hitmen, predators, goal hangers, whatever you want to call them. quick as lightning over ten yards, intelligent, read the game well and found themselves in dangerous positions by instinct. I'd put Bobby Davison in that sort of group, (not saying he was as good as those but he had that instinct).

So, Rooney as a player? Pretty faultless, up there with the best as a prolific goalscorer but also contributed numerous assists and defensive work to his teams. Created a lot of his own goals.

Rooney as a manager? He most certainly must want to be a manager. He's a multimillionaire yet he's spending his time in cold, empty stadiums trying to get players who are a million miles below his standard to perform as a team under horrendous circumstances.

He faces the flak in interviews, doesn't hide, he seems to understand the responsibility and the expectation of managing a club like ours.

He's taking it seriously and prepared to put the hard yards in, do his apprenticeship and learn his trade.

His workmate for United was phenomenal...........................is what you said.............and the Ginger Magician and I agree!

Edited by Inverurie Ram

On 05/04/2021 at 22:48, MuespachRam said:

You mean scoring half the amount of goals we did last season without the greatest ever English goal scorer in our team.? 

I think you'll find that Chris Martin hasn't pulled any trees up at Bristol either! ?

Edited by richinspain
Spelling

3 minutes ago, PendineRam said:

The Tanned one back eh, must come cheap! 

"Brown went on to lead The Tigers to Championship safety and the following season Hull City won promotion to the top level of English football for the first time in the club's 104-year history, by beating Bristol City at Wembley in the Championship play-off final on 24 May 2008. "

More than many managers have done.

5 hours ago, DesertRam said:

I do believe Rooney will take us to the promised land, if not next season, 22/23. 

He has definitely won me over, all he needs now is the backing - and I think we will have that!

I’ve never heard League One referred to as the Promised Land before.

Well, other than by Mansfield Town supporters, anyway.

Assuming we get to safety this season (and I know it's an IF) and assuming Alonso actually has money to spend, we're really going to find out if Rooney has the chops or is getting chopped.

This season, I can take the needs must and I can take the lack of thrills. All that matters is finishing above the bottom three. This season since becoming manager, Rooney has shown some ability to the job, made some mistakes (pretty clumsy ones too). I'm up for giving him the shot with some actual backing and ambition beyond survival.

On 06/04/2021 at 23:16, uttoxram75 said:

Great post mate, agree with this 100 percent, was a great player, and he is doing all he can for our great club, lets get behind him, and hope to see Rooney and the players back at PP, for the start of next season still as a championship club. Once A Ram Always A Ram. 

Edited by Derby blood