Keogh Sacked

Nuwtfly

7 minutes ago, Norman said:

He had 21 months left on a 1.3 million a year contract. 

So basically he's got his full wages. 

Injured for 15 months of that. 

Also, was the insurance invalidated by the cause of injury?

10 minutes ago, Rambam said:

He wasn’t guilty of serious misconduct?  Was captain, got blind drunk and accepted a lift off someone else who was blind drunk. To save on a taxi fare. Which meant he was unavailable for a season, but wanted paying in full. 

But then didn’t sack the bloke that drove him or the one that crashed into him or fled the scene of the crime and left the captain of the team in their cars.

Out of all three he was the least guilty but because he was no longer and asset and we couldn’t claim on the player insurance he was sacked. 

(FWIW I think morally all three should have been sacked but financially I’d have kept them all. I think Mel just gambled on sacking him hoping he might not have to pay the wages, but if Keogh appealed and won he hasn’t lost really as he had nothing to loose) again another embarrassing situation made more embarrassing. 

Really don't get this - he goes out, he gets hammered, gets into a car with another hammered player, and gets injured such that he can't play for the rest of the season.  Ignored Derby's offer of transport.  Ignored all common sense.  All his fault.  My only thought here is there must not have been some conduct style clause in his contract that Derby could enforce to sack him, hence the compensation award.  If that's true someone needs shooting.  If I turned up for work drunk, looked at p0rn or several other such misdemeanours then I'd be sacked, with no recompense.  World's gone mad. 

2 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Firing someone who is sick is really difficult. Your reasons for doing so have to be watertight. I guess the tribunal thought otherwise.

If only they'd left it when Mason was being sick down the bog and decided to call it a night...

Being sick is one thing, but being unable to do your job through actions of your own is another. We should get Keogh's lawyer to help with our EFL case.

This is painful but actually costs no more than honouring his contract in the first place. IMO he was guilty of gross misconduct in most other forms of employment. I also assume we will be able to spread the payment but not sure.

6 minutes ago, roboto said:

If only they'd left it when Mason was being sick down the bog and decided to call it a night...

Being sick is one thing, but being unable to do your job through actions of your own is another. We should get Keogh's lawyer to help with our EFL case.

Saul?

Just now, roboto said:

The problem is that footballers are off sick routinely. Usually that's through something in training or a match. Occasionally, it is through some other kind of accident - Dave Bessant dropped a bottle on his foot. It would be difficult to make the case that Keogh was sacked because he caused himself injury.

Given that the club didn't fire either Lawrence or Bennett, who committed far more serious offences and ended up in front of the beak, Keogh's sacking could not have been the result of his actions that night.

So what were the reasons?

Really don't agree with this. The man's an adult. His own actions rendered him unable to fulfil his contractual obligations to play for Derby, through no fault of the club. He hasn't injured himself in the performance of his duties (i.e., while playing). He went out, got drunk, and got into the back of a car where the driver was drunk. For me, that makes him culpable.

Any of us lot did the same and rendered us unable to work, I'd expect we'd be sacked on the spot too. 

32 minutes ago, Rambam said:

He wasn’t guilty of serious misconduct?  Was captain, got blind drunk and accepted a lift off someone else who was blind drunk. To save on a taxi fare. Which meant he was unavailable for a season, but wanted paying in full. 

However we once again failed to win an open and shut case

3 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

The problem is that footballers are off sick routinely. Usually that's through something in training or a match. Occasionally, it is through some other kind of accident - Dave Bessant dropped a bottle on his foot. It would be difficult to make the case that Keogh was sacked because he caused himself injury.

Given that the club didn't fire either Lawrence or Bennett, who committed far more serious offences and ended up in front of the beak, Keogh's sacking could not have been the result of his actions that night.

So what were the reasons?

Assume it has something to do with the fact that Keogh was unable to fulfil his contractual duties due to self-inflicted injury? Dunno, but may be the reason that the tribunal found in his favour (does that classify as gross misconduct or would it come under some other charge?)

Interesting that this case has again gone through the EFL's own regulatory systems rather than the standard employment tribunal that serves the rest of us mere mortals. 

It's like they are a breed apart from the law that governs the rest of us.

I have had no sympathy for Keogh since he refused to accept a reduction in wages, or at least negotiate something with the club. I still think he let his club down that day by not behaving as a captain should and taking some responsibility for the safety of the younger players and himself. Surely the £24,000 per week he was getting paid conveyed some expectation of maturity with it? 

So, he's got his full wages plus whatever he's been paid by MK Dons and Huddersfield since. I hope it makes him happy. Not.

Edited by angieram

18 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Also, was the insurance invalidated by the cause of injury?

I'd guess so. Unless it was explicitly stated. F1 drivers need permission to go skiing etc.

Car insurance would have been void because the driver was over the limit. 

So I'm guessing all insurance was void. Nice one Lawrence etc. 

Blunder by the club, blinder by his agent.

What utter cocks Keogh and his agent are, saw an opportunity to financially benefit from a situation he'd put himself into and went for it.

Show no remorse, refuse to accept a reasonable punishment, and force someone's hand against you (also forcing a damaging split in the dressing room) all in the aid of being a greedy, reprehensible see you next Tuesday and not facing up to your own actions.

Pure mercenary twit - none of this 'great servant to DCFC' crap should ever apply to this banker.

The bloke's dead to me, not that he cares.

7 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Id love to know the logic of how MM gets blamed for this one.

Derby Fans: we are sick of MM spending money

Also Derby Fans: pay Richard Keogh £2.3m even though he is incapable of doing anything for the club 

It was handled poorly regardless of who made the decision to sack him. We've ended up paying him anyway and now have a load more bad press to chuck in with all the other bad press floating around. Players talk to each other, if we get a reputation for messing players around it could cost us in more ways than we think.

Edited by JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta

4 minutes ago, Eatonram said:

This is painful but actually costs no more than honouring his contract in the first place. 

It's this simple for me too

In this kind of situation the risk is outweighed by the potential reward

Risk - We either pay a player £2.3m for sitting around at the training ground, pay for his travel, food and rehab and maybe get a couple of month out of him towards the end of his contract - Or we lose the appeal and pay him the same £2.3m later

Potential Reward - You don't have to pay him anything

Seems an easy choice to me - Worst case he's costing you £0 extra and there was a potential to recoup £2.3m