Keogh Sacked

Nuwtfly

13 minutes ago, Asheville Ram said:

It is the club as the employer who are liable not Mel and one interesting point, if the club went into admin or liquidation, would not be allowed back into the league unless all outstanding player wages/settlements paid in full.

Who made the final decision the sack him? I'd be very surprised if it wasn't Mel. He's the Owner and Chairman. He and Pearce alone make every decision. I know he wouldn't be obliged to but I would like him to pay it. If he doesn't, where else is it coming from? 

I hope it's not true, but could it be Mel sacked him and hoped he'd be out the club by the time Keogh won the payout, instead of paying his wages in the mean time?

3 minutes ago, Coconut said:

I don't think either of them are / were playing for us through love of the club, but then I've never come out with a statement such as yours.

However I do genuinely believe that if all the roles had been reversed then neither Lawrence or Bennett would have sought compensation in quite the same way as Keogh has.

Of course they would,this is their livelihood and the money they make in their short playing careers is what they will most likely use for the rest of their lives.

Mel should have followed the law in dealing with Keogh and as usual Derby county and its reputation sinks lower because he didn't,never mind the extra cost of comp we can't afford 

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

1 minute ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Another Mel rooster up by failing to abide by employment law and thinking he's above it.

What a mare

Whats the rooster up exactly? Only now paying him what we would have had to anyway.

Isnt this an EFL ruling rather than employment law?

I'm pretty sure in any normal walk of life if you were unable to do your job because of an alcohol related incident you would be sacked or placed on SSP.

34 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

It's this simple for me too

In this kind of situation the risk is outweighed by the potential reward

Risk - We either pay a player £2.3m for sitting around at the training ground, pay for his travel, food and rehab and maybe get a couple of month out of him towards the end of his contract - Or we lose the appeal and pay him the same £2.3m later

Potential Reward - You don't have to pay him anything

Seems an easy choice to me - Worst case he's costing you £0 extra and there was a potential to recoup £2.3m

And what about all the legal costs incurred, on top of Keogh's compensation?

7 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

So reduced terms on his contract ie what he was offered but turned down you mean?

Why wouldn't he turn it down? he knew his own contact wouldn't let us sack him. For all he knew his career could have been over. Why didn't we know his contact wouldn't let us sack him?

Just now, Ambitious said:

Fair enough. Mel is having a DAY! 

If there was any risk that we would have to pay him anyway, I really can't understand why we've even gone down this route? I guess it pushed the payment back into a different set of accounts, but just seems daft. 7

Fair play on Richard getting his money anyway. 

think the red mist appeared in front of Mel's eyes, absolutely no defence.  Lots of us have to get rid of staff and what you don't do is get angry.  What you do do is get advice, and take action within the legal framework available.  This was pure competency, it is not like he was injured whilst playing football is it.  He made himself unfit to work just don't get how that case could not be pleaded

3 minutes ago, Coconut said:

However I do genuinely believe that if all the roles had been reversed then neither Lawrence or Bennett would have sought compensation in quite the same way as Keogh has.

I wouldn’t be too sure.......footballers have an expensive lifestyle to finance, and Bennett hardly even likes Derby.

3 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

Why wouldn't he turn it down? he knew his own contact wouldn't let us sack him. For all he knew his career could have been over. Why didn't we know his contact wouldn't let us sack him?

So your advice was that we should have handled this correctly by not paying him, knowing that he would not accept that, so what do you think would have happended when we didnt pay him?

11 minutes ago, SparxTheRam said:

I think if you got into a car with a clearly drunk driver who technically is under your care as he was captain, were drunk yourself, didn't put your seatbelt on and got injured and couldn't work for 6 months you be severely disciplined, you might keep your job but you wouldn't get paid, you'd be on SSP and if you then kicked up a fuss demanding to be paid i suspect you would be out the door.

I wouldn't want you, not would I hire you for any other position as your judgement is clearly abysmal, the fact he's had two transfers since and got a wage he should be bloody grateful and leave it at that 

You can argue the moral's but the fact is he was entitled to appeal the decision and reject the reduced wages. We were the one's who gave him the contract that allowed him to do this. He made one bad choice in 7 years here (off the pitch) and should have been punished.

But my main point is, why did we not seem to know that his contract meant we couldn't get away with sacking him?

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

So your advice was that we should have handled this correctly by not paying him, knowing that he would not accept that, so what do you think would have happended when we didnt pay him?

No I didn't say that. But his contact clearly wouldn't have allowed us to sack him, but we did it anyway. We obviously don't know the details of his contact, but the club should know every detail out all our players contact, and should have known the harshest possibly punishment we could have given him.

I hope ever penny of the compensation he spends brings misery to him. *********, absolutely stealing a living for years, got wasted and unable to do his job through no ones fault but his own...

the only good thing about it is that without doubt if he had stayed we would have 100% gone down this season.

7 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

You can argue the moral's but the fact is he was entitled to appeal the decision and reject the reduced wages. We were the one's who gave him the contract that allowed him to do this. He made one bad choice in 7 years here (off the pitch) and should have been punished.

But my main point is, why did we not seem to know that his contract meant we couldn't get away with sacking him?

I'm sure he was entitled, and that's what's entirely broken about the ways these overpaid, overprotected butt monkeys are treated 

You would never be allowed to do this in the real world.... That he has now had all his wages backpaid is simply mind boggling.....

I lose more and more interest in football by the hour due to the arrogance of players, owners and the media....

It's so funny to see so many of you raging about this. You have been told again and again on here that Keogh had a solid case, but refused to see beyond your outrage. Maybe you should send him a tweet calling him a greedy git? I'm sure he'll be devastated.

1 hour ago, Hathersage Ram said:

To be honest, this is the outcome I expected. I have no idea who is advising our club, but in all honesty considering the difference in retrospective actions taken against the other protagonists it was the only outcome possible. 

Nail on the head for me, they set themselves up to fail with their inconsistent punishments.