Match Thread: Cambridge United (a)

Well the worst thing about home end is not not celebrating but not instinctively tutting or groaning when we lose the ball.  Their fans next me really did not like NML, Tommo, Ebou or Sibs showing they were good. The advantage of the home end was meeting lots of players and PW when they emerged. Not only does Collins work hard on the pitch but he carries very big bags to the bus

5 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Well the worst thing about home end is not not celebrating but not instinctively tutting or groaning when we lose the ball.  Their fans next me really did not like NML, Tommo, Ebou or Sibs showing they were good. The advantage of the home end was meeting lots of players and PW when they emerged. Not only does Collins work hard on the pitch but he carries very big bags to the bus

He's carried the rest of the team at times this season. He'll be used to it.

8 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Are you sure it wasn't Thommo in his carry-cot?

1 hour ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

If we can't beat Carlisle at home then we don't deserve to go up anyway to be blunt.

Jeez, do you ever say anything positive? We've just set a club record of points in a season and the most number of away wins and are on the verge or promotion, but you have to make a comment like that. How about getting into the spirit and enjoy the win? 

1 minute ago, Big Bad Bob said:

Jeez, do you ever say anything positive? We've just set a club record of points in a season and the most number of away wins and are on the verge or promotion, but you have to make a comment like that. How about getting into the spirit and enjoy the win? 

I think it’s meant as a positive! As in we’re defo going up and if we don’t is our own fault!

Solid win once again under tough conditions. Nathan Jones last week was telling the truth when the surface was rustic at best alongside the wind which did effect some of the distance on clearances/goal kicks. The ball was also getting some serious bounce near the sidelines. I think Wildsmith was a getting a bit flustered with the wind and that effected his kicking a tad but he made a top save in the first half so can't be too critical. Everyone put a shift in. One more game!

Edited by eddielewis

57 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I thought Sibley was great today, dangerous in attack, provided a real outlet when we needed it and but for a limp right foot he could have scored to ice his performance cake. 

True. But it was an awful pitch, the bounce was random and it took a little bobble. But did you see Jackson's miss for Chelsea, that was worse! 😄

PG Wodehouse from the directors box.

Ah, what a jolly morning it was, dear chum! The sun beamed down upon us as we indulged in the quintessentially English pursuit of punting, navigating the tranquil waters with the finesse of seasoned oarsmen. Our hearts lightened further as we repaired to the Botanical Gardens, where libations flowed freely, and the fragrant blooms provided a most agreeable backdrop for our conviviality. Ah, but I must confess, my good fellow, I found myself obliged to decline young Shaun Barker’s entreaty for a round of ten-pin bowling, lest I risked forsaking the tranquility of our day’s pursuits. Instead, we ascended to the exalted environs of the director’s box, where great expectations filled the air like the scent of freshly-cut grass on a summer’s day.

And lo, as the match unfolded before us, it was young Sibley who, with a flick of his hair reminiscent of a dashing hero from the pages of a romantic novel, delivered a pass of such sublime weight and direction that even NML, blessed with the accuracy of a marksman, could not fail to convert it into the winning goal, thereby securing for Derby the coveted three points that now lay within our grasp like ripe fruit ready for the plucking. Indeed, our destiny, like a ship guided by a steady hand upon the helm, now rested firmly in our own hands.

Yet, let us not discount the valiant efforts of our adversaries from Cambridge United, who fought tooth and nail to thwart our aspirations. Wildsmith, our custodian between the sticks, displayed a fortitude akin to that of a one-legged war veteran, kicking and flapping with a determination that belied his circumstances. Our nerves, I must confess, were sorely tested, akin to the frayed edges of a well-read novel.

But now, dear friend, our attention turns to the grand spectacle that awaits us next Saturday, where we shall once again take to the field, this time against the venerable Simmo and his stalwart band of disciples. A single point, so they say, shall suffice to elevate us to the sunlit uplands of the Championship, where glory and adulation await like eager suitors at a debutante’s ball.

It shall be a contest of wits and wills, where the bobble-hatted tactical maestro Warne shall endeavor to marshal his forces with the precision of a seasoned general. Let us rally behind him, dear comrade, for victory is within our grasp, like a well-struck ball sailing towards the goalposts of destiny.

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

True. But it was an awful pitch, the bounce was random and it took a little bobble. But did you see Jackson's miss for Chelsea, that was worse! 😄

I did not, will look for that. It was only a half joking observation on Sibley’s shot, I think he was probably knackered as much as anything following the epic shift he put in at both ends of the pitch. 

Collo is clearly not fully fit from his "season ending" injury, but what a performance he put in today defensively.

I can't imagine many of us had Sibs converting to a left wing back on our bingo cards for the season, but he's been immense to end the year.

Back three solid as ever, Bird showed a couple of glimpses of his usual class and Thommo ran himself into the ground once more.

Boxes ticked, now can this week hurry up already?!

1 hour ago, strawhillram said:

I think we need posh to get a win  by enough goals  in midweek to keep their hopes of autos alive going into the bolton game ?

Don’t want them to rest players or take it easy v Bolton

We don't need anything from any other, side, and that's how it's been for weeks bar a single blip matched by the other promotion candidates having their own wobbles.