Match Thread: Wycombe (a)

2 hours ago, Jourdan said:

NML can always make something happen and he has been our best attacking player this season, so in Warne’s eyes, almost definitely.

He is as important to us this year as McGoldrick was last year.

Up to four games ago that is completely true. Since then he’s effectively been a passenger as an attacking force.

I love Nat as a player but we have to be honest…. True, he can’t be expected to ‘do it’ every game but five games without output at this stage of the season is fatal… and yes, that does show how important he is to us as a team…

Poor game but I don't think this is the disaster people are making it out to be.

Personally I was always slightly worried about this fixture and on my predictor I had us drawing this game and we still go on to make automatic promotion.

If we win the last 3 games Bolton will have to win all their 4 to go above us including beating portsmouth and peterborough.

It's not in our hands right now but it could all turn again after saturday. We just need to be in pole position come the last game of the season.

I still back us to do this.

6 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I really don’t get this “they deserve to go up” mullarky. Whoever goes up will deserve to simply because they have accumulated more points than at least 22 other teams in the league (or have a better goal difference). That might be because they ended the season well, started the season well or were consistent throughout. 

Obviously…

But it’s a way of trying to rationalise the disappointment of yesterdays result. 

Plus Bolton have only won 6 in a row once this season. To do that in October is one thing, to do it when the pressure is in is another.

6 hours ago, Jourdan said:

CBT is the worry for me.

He looked very bright v Blackpool and then played his best game so far for us v Portsmouth. Then tonight he regressed.

I really thought tonight would be the night he came to the party. He won’t get a better chance.

He is clearly a confidence player and he is clearly playing within himself much of the time since joining us. Perhaps he is overwhelmed by the pressure to impress. There is certainly a feeling of that.

I am not often critical of Warne and the coaches, but perhaps they could be managing him better, because something is not right.

Thought everything was ramping up nicely for him to be the main man for the final few matches. 

CBT missing that open goal is the worst player it could’ve happened too. As you say, looks a real confidence player. With NML on his back legs and Barkz only just back fit, we really don’t need CBT feeling sorry for himself.

4 minutes ago, Abu Derby said:

He is doing - starting Saturday. 

Not sure how adding Bradley helps in any logical way.

Our problems are in attack. We have a selection of forwards who either aren’t fully fit or otherwise just aren’t good enough.

Smith and Adams battled manfully in midfield but they desperately need a third player they can rely upon. Ward provided that briefly. Bird’s return would help massively.

We have the version of James Collins who runs around a lot without being creative and Washington who gets behind defences and then….nothing.

NML looks cursed. I have never seen a player kick the ball into touch as often.

We know CBT can be good, but does he?

What surprised me last night was our willingness to pump the ball in the air again, letting Wildsmith take long free kicks when creativity was needed. I hope that they will practice in training the slick first time passing which can produce the three wins we need.

I half expected that and, I’m glad we didn’t lose.  I was nowhere near as nervous through the game as I was against Pompey because while we didn’t look like winning, we didn’t look like losing either.  That said the performance was not where it needs to be.  Again, too many off days at the same time.  Abject is probably a good description. 

If CBT’s chance goes in, we would probably have gone on to win comfortably but I think that affected not just him but the team too.  And NML at least has to make the keeper make a save.  I have some sympathy with Washington’s chance as the ball was bouncing and difficult to control.

My glass half full position (and helped by sleeping on it) is this happens, even to Liverpool!!  When we slipped up at Northampton, no-one else took advantage.  I had this as a draw and Pompey as a defeat, so 1 point up.  I think Pompey will beat Bolton win both promotion and the league, that’s come at a good time for us.  Posh will slip up in the next 5 and away to Oxford on Saturday isn’t easy.

3 wins, and I believe we can do it 🐏.

FWIW I thought Wycombe actually tried to play and were not as industrial as we've seen them under Ainsworth, played some neat football at times and could've won.

That miss from CBT was really quite poor, we now move on to the O's who whenever I've seen them this season have played some nice football so won't be easy, we need PP rocking on Saturday I still think 3 wins will get us over the line 

9 hours ago, S8TY said:

This is correct …there were times when we got forward and I saw 1 maybe 2 players in the box …with 4/5 Wycombe players …why aren’t our players busting to get into the box….if we don’t go up please let’s get someone else in ffs because we are embarrassing at times …that total c*** up at the back with Wildsmith just about summed us up …

Adam’s was the only player for me tonight who I thought really put his body on the line …Smith and Cash were also good enough tonight but the rest were awful including CBT 

Not tactics that didn't get bodies in the box, just very poor from our front 4, knackered, not fit or just not good enough, take your pick,  but all that said, 3 if the 4 should all have scored in the 1st half.... so tactics can't have been that bad.

Re the c*** up at the end, totally Cashins fault, what was he doing faffing at the touchline with seconds to go anyway? And you say he was good enough? It was a 5 out of 10 from him last night

7 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Hourihane was taking a free kick and Wildsmith ambled towards him like a tortoise and Hourihane ushered him back to goal.  A whole minute nearly.  At that point my eyeballs began to bleed.

This has been happening for a few games now . Warne says Jaded - or is it Jitters . Are half the  team worrying that they will be out the door if we get into the Championship?

I've always thought psychologically the pressure is more on when you have something to lose. Some people saw yesterday as a point gained, not a theory I subscribe to myself. If we were in Bolton or Posh's position with that game yesterday then a draw is a disaster, you go in with the mindset beforehand that every game is a must win. Even the games at the weekend for both of them which are tricky, if they get a point that probably is going to end up 2 dropped not 1 gained. I just don't see a scenario where that point yesterday gets us promoted unless we pip Posh on GD. We'd have been no worse off for the loss and significantly better off for going for the win. We need this must win mindset from now on. There's a psychological thing about losing being the worst scenario but mathematically unless you are playing a 6 pointer then losing is marginally worse than a draw, both are significantly worse than a win. 

Edited by TheTinMan

9 hours ago, Grumpy Git said:

I'd let Gayle start next week in a plaster cast and crutches. He'd still have scored the CBT chance tonight with his todger.

CBT was angry the ball wasn’t released to him earlier. Meant that instead of getting a pass along the ground with the keeper stranded he gets a fizzy cross that misses the defender by a whisker and is not easily redirected

Edited by kevinhectoring

8 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

It's 43 pages of the merits and contractual position of my shiny new DFS motorised recliner........

Wish now I'd got it on loan and could send it back. Sadly the returns window has closed.....

I might have known! 🙄
I should have put "... hinted towards a negative aspect to the result or ridiculously off-topic recliner-related puns like NML playing like a Laz-y-boy, or us needing a cushion before the Carlisle game.  Or even how have we got sofa up the table playing this rubbish, or Warne can go swivel, etc!"

To be fair, the latter would have been well worth having a catch up on here, and more preferable.  Sod it... lets do it anyway!  I'll try to think of some!    🤣🍻

5 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

CBT was angry the ball wasn’t released to him earlier. Meant that instead of getting a pass along the ground with the keeper stranded he gets a fizzy cross that misses the defended by a whisker and is not easily redirected

I agree the ball should have been better but it was still an absolutely shocking miss.

6 hours ago, CapeTownRams said:

The first season when he was getting used to the PW style of play I can understand. But after a full pre-season he should surely be fully fit now and able to complete a full season .

I think NML can complete a full season - despite being 31, having a big frame and being a high intensity player. but not if he’s overplayed. It a question not of too many matches, but of too many minutes. 

I was there last night and my god it was a hard watch. The constant Wildsmith to Nelson, Nelson to Wilson followed by the ball being lumped up the line invariably to a Wycombe player made my eyes bleed. A lot of people on here blaming CBT for the early miss but Washington was clean through and should have buried that himself. On the extremely rare occasions where we kept the ball on the deck we cut through them but of course that’s not the Warne way so it was back to lumping it. Not one player looked on it last night just like at Northampton. 
It is just so dispiriting to see us floundering in a match like that at such a crucial stage of the season.