Match Thread: Wycombe (a)

51 minutes ago, ap04 said:

There is nothing perplexing, if anything yesterday was better. Portsmouth -2.5 chances agg, Wycombe +1.5, difference between Portsmouth and Wycombe give or take 3 chances. Both amazing first halves, poor second but decent overall and bang in line with what was expected. Everything else is kneejerk, bandwagon and outcome bias.

Did you actually watch both games? If so, are you seriously suggesting we played better against Wycombe than we did against Portsmouth?

You seem to be obsessed with statistics and ignoring the fact that 1) Portsmouth were a much tougher proposition than Wycombe and 2) our good chances against Wycombe came quite early on but for most of the game we were pretty awful. Against Pompey, we may not have created as many chances (but then you wouldn't really expect us to away at the team sitting top of the table) but we played better than we did against Wycombe. The first half against Wycombe certainly wasn't "amazing".

Wow, was at the game last night first chance I’ve had to catch up on here

Screaming The Help GIF Some of you  really got in a state didn’t you, yes the performance wasn’t great but we still got a point , yes it gives Bolton and Peterborough hope but we are still second, the lads need all our support at the minute , the fans at Wycombe last night were magnificent btw, we all knew it was going to be a rollercoaster and there are some twists left 

The manager and players know what they have to do and I would rather be in our position than the other two , on to Saturday and with a few more bodies back I expect a reaction to last night , all is not lost , let’s all do our best for our club COYR

1 hour ago, MadAmster said:

It's all theoretical though, isn't it? Their "advantage" includes beating both Pompey and Posh. As Wycombe showed last night, sides with "nothing to play for" other than pride can surprise you. That game had a flow to it. Little to none of the stop/start lack of tempo our previous, and only, 5 games against them had.

No "easy" games going forward for Posh, Trotters or us. It's going to be hard going for all 3 clubs.

I think Bolton might win all 4 games.  Of course I hope not 

43 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

There was nowt wrong with the pass...imo, It found it's target...CBT, He was unable to do what in 99% of the time he would score...imo, 

I saw Roger Davis miss an even easier at Stamford Bridge decades ago, It happens, But what makes it look bad is that we drew, But even if he'd had scored it was no guarantee of a win. 

Finding it’s target doesn’t mean it’s a good pass, the pass was abysmal, it needed rolling across the floor,  CBT could have sat down had his dinner and still got up and scored if the pass was what you’d expect.
The fact is the pass was dreadful along with an attemt at a finish. 
All said and done you’d expect CBT to score he didn’t , and it could be costly.

28 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Just as an aside, I watched the match on the Wycombe channel last night as Rams TV was buffering. 

They had 2 commentators who sounded like 2 guys from the pub.

They kept saying how impressed they were with Conor Washington 😵‍💫

They also said how much we have improved since they saw us earlier in the season.

Absolutely astounded by both comments.

Yes I watched on the Wycombe channel and thought how much they were "bigin us up" I thought are they seeing what I am.

If anyone is interested in the odds they still have us as decent favourites.

Currently Derby 1.61, Bolton 2.75 and Posh 8.00. From memory before yesterday I think we were about 1.40 and Bolton were about 3.00. It was not a disastrous result really, just a bit disappointing.

Pompey are the best away team in the division and Posh are the 4th best home team. If Bolton take 4 points from those we need to win all 3. If they win both we’re stuffed, but fair play to them if they manage either of those.

Think the annoying part was the lack of urgency. Also seemed obvious we were struggling to get higher up the pitch and play in their half. Waghorn and Collins on together might’ve helped with that.

NML was awful, but guess we have to cut him some slack! CBT wasn’t much better.

If we play with two spoilers in midfield and wingers have bad games then is not going to go well for us.

41 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Did you actually watch both games? If so, are you seriously suggesting we played better against Wycombe than we did against Portsmouth?

Yes, and yes.

1) Portsmouth were a much tougher proposition than Wycombe

I already touched on this, the estimated difference between the two is 3 chances at best.

2) our good chances against Wycombe came quite early on but for most of the game we were pretty awful.

Forgetting that at Portsmouth after our early-ish second goal we were equally 'awful', allowing 4 big moments and essentially creating fa.

The first half against Wycombe certainly wasn't "amazing".

You reckon 3 or 4 chances to 1 (including on top of the obvious ones 2/3 killer corners in case you missed those), in one half alone, away, against a mid-table side, is not amazing and top of the league stuff? Not sure what you are expecting in order to be amazed then.

59 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

Screaming The Help GIF Some of you  really got in a state didn’t you, yes the performance wasn’t great but we still got a point , yes it gives Bolton and Peterborough hope but we are still second, the lads need all our support at the minute , the fans at Wycombe last night were magnificent btw, we all knew it was going to be a rollercoaster and there are some twists left 

The manager and players know what they have to do and I would rather be in our position than the other two , on to Saturday and with a few more bodies back I expect a reaction to last night , all is not lost , let’s all do our best for our club COYR

GOT IN A STATE ?  we have  put Bolton and Peterborough an advantage , its in they hands to get second, we are now hoping for them to slip..... allowing we don't slip up again which is possible 

the players and manager new yesterday what was needed, we need shots ON TARGET and a simple tap in to an open goal we could be here with different STATES 

we could have f***** it up last night  but the last game of season with automatic promotion on a tight rope........  any thing can happen 

53 minutes ago, Hector was the best said:

Yes I watched on the Wycombe channel and thought how much they were "bigin us up" I thought are they seeing what I am.

i had to watch on the wycombe channel, they thought Washington had a good game and how you rigjht bigin us up all way through

27 minutes ago, ap04 said:

Yes, and yes.

I already touched on this, the estimated difference between the two is 3 chances at best.

Forgetting that at Portsmouth after our early-ish second goal we were equally 'awful', allowing 4 big moments and essentially creating fa.

You reckon 3 or 4 chances to 1 (including on top of the obvious ones 2/3 killer corners in case you missed those), in one half alone, away, against a mid-table side, is not amazing and top of the league stuff? Not sure what you are expecting in order to be amazed then.

So I repeat the question. Did you actually watch the games and, if so do you genuinely think the first half against Wycombe was “amazing”? There were a few corners that created challenges for their keeper but they were hardly “killer corners”. Amazing for me would have been to play good football and actually convert a chance or two (or at least force a save).

I reckon, if you took a poll of every Derby fan that watched the game last night, the total that would describe our performance in the first half as amazing would amount to one.

We weren’t awful against Pompey after our second goal from my recollection. 

Edited by Tamworthram

4 hours ago, Ram-Alf said:

Why would any footballer want to control the ball with the goal only a couple of feet away and empty? CBT just fluffed a great opportunity, I fear that miss will hang heavy on the player 😉

he didn't need a touch he literally just needed to steer the ball in with one touch even with your less favoured foot I'd expect that to hit the open goal which is was really 

it was a very easy opportunity and i thought a good ball from Washington, no excuses about taking a touch it was a poor execution like he took his eye off of the ball 

2 hours ago, angieram said:

Not trawled through all the matchthread (gave up around p40) but I think last night was a game that has summed up our season.

Take both those early chances and we would have been celebrating another "get the job done" win and admiring a disciplined second half defensive performance. 

But we all know to score two, we need six chances, not just two or three.

To create six chances, we need the football to flow. Ward makes that happen in recent games. He's injured, so we replace that role with Collins, playing out of position.  He's a striker, not a midfielder. We leave Tommo on the bench, who would have been the natural link between our deep sitting midfield two and the attack, would have been available for the pass from Wilson and Sibley (who were both desperately looking for feet to play into and finding no-one there) and who can press and harry just as well as Collins.

Warne needed to select either Washington or Collins, not both, and play an attacking midfielder. If he doesn't rate Thommo, he could have put Hourihane in there. 

He didn’t,  and we faltered. I wish Warne would stop trying to create new systems and patterns and just do the simple stuff sometimes. 

Footballers are a bit simple too. They play instinctively in patterns that are ingrained from an early age.

Take them out of their natural positions, play them in different systems and they have to think more quickly in order to be successful.  It fails more than it works. 

Add in the factor that our forwards aren't world beaters, we need to be giving them all the help we can to play their natural games. 

I think we were one player choice away from that routine win last night. So disappointing. 

Sounds like you know a bit about football. Don’t let Paul Warne read this or he’ll have you banned from the forum.

1 hour ago, Premier ram said:

They knew what they had to do before last night and before Northampton, but didn’t do it.