Match Thread: Wycombe (a)

Adams Park Stadium

Wednesday, April 10th – Kick-Off: 19.45

Still a full week to go before another match to savour, this time against a club who can sensibly lay claim to having the greatest car park in all of football. So, what is there to say about L1’s perennial not-so-nearly men? Well, they have a fantastic chairman don’t they! Who else would be magnanimous enough to name their ground after our legendary midfield destroyer, Ebou? More to the point, how did he even know Ebou was coming to Derby? Clever chap, I suppose, which is probably why he now owns more ambulances than the NHS. As for Wycombe the town, well some brief research shows that Wycombe is notable only for being surrounded by places that are not dumps. Also, for weighing its mayors to see whether they have been getting rich on the public pound. Oh, The Cornetto Trilogy too, for any Hot Fuzz fans out there.

Moving onto Wycombe FC, well what can I say?

No, really, what can I say?

Oh, alright then! Their Wiki bio states that Wycombe Wanderers Football Club is an English professional association football club based in the town of High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. Founded in 1887, they entered the Southern League in 1896. Despite being around forever though, they’ve won the square root of feck all and in 137 years, have only managed to accrue around 7,000 supporters. I’m no maths whizz, but by utilising my trusty abacus, I’ve calculated that at their current rate of growth, they will hit Derby levels of support in only 508.86 years. Something to look forward to, then.

Key Threats
Well they are two-fold and to be taken seriously; firstly, there’s the threat of legal action and secondly, there’s a very real possibility that they’ll attempt to hoof half our team into the stands. Fortunately for us, we’ve already paid them out, so they’re now feasting on the bones of other clubs in financial strife. Also, their stands are tiny and their team is rubbish, so if any Wycombe player does attempt to half-volley Liam Thomson into the North Stand, he’ll probably miss it altogether.

On the pitch, after a seriously deep dive, the only threats I’ve come up with are Luke Leahy who has amassed 8 goals and 6 assists this season from @40 starts, Dale Taylor with 5 and Joseph Low with 4. I was going to visit their forum to try to discern some interesting insider titbits for you lot; team strategy, injuries, pie quality and the like, but I immediately realised I’d rather eat my own vomit, so I didn’t bother. Feel free to have a gander yourselves though.

The Team
I think we’ll likely see the same starting 11, or very close to it. Fortunately, we now have the aforementioned Ebou Adams, so when they kick us, he’ll kick them back. Several times each, probably. That said, I think if we play our own game and don’t get sucked into Wycombe’s peculiar brand of anti-football, we may well win and win well.

And sadly, that’s all folks, as the pub beckons and in truth, I’d not really counted on us getting past both Blackpool and Pompey and have nothing else prepared. A final note though, for away supporters looking for things to do before and after the game, might I recommend a trip to Henley, Marlow or Windsor instead?

COYR
BE MORE B4

Physical approach to the game they have. However, if one of ours looks at one of theirs too hard, they will fall over, grab hold of a body part and roll around in agony. Free kicks and throws are generally taken very slowly to run the clock down and 15 yards forwards of where they should be taken. They aren't a footballing side so they rely on a stop/start strategy to ensure the opposition, in this case us, don't get the chance to build any momentum.

Historically, we have had difficulty combatting this type of football. I expect similar next Wednesday.

Matters might get complicated by whatever their result against Posh in the EFL Trophy final on Sunday is. They win, will they be lifted by it or still drunk on their success. Would defeat deflate them or spur them on? Extra time would be helpful to us, whatever the result at Wembley.

We'll need patience and self control but we ought to win, putting us a step closer to promotion. Posh are in Cup action this weekend, Bolton go to Bristol Rovers where we hope Coldplay does some damage to help us and Barnsley visit Charlton  who have drawn their last 3 and I wouldn't refuse them a 4th on the bounce.

21 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Physical approach to the game they have. However, if one of ours looks at one of theirs too hard, they will fall over, grab hold of a body part and roll around in agony. Free kicks and throws are generally taken very slowly to run the clock down and 15 yards forwards of where they should be taken. They aren't a footballing side so they rely on a stop/start strategy to ensure the opposition, in this case us, don't get the chance to build any momentum.

Historically, we have had difficulty combatting this type of football. I expect similar next Wednesday.

Matters might get complicated by whatever their result against Posh in the EFL Trophy final on Sunday is. They win, will they be lifted by it or still drunk on their success. Would defeat deflate them or spur them on? Extra time would be helpful to us, whatever the result at Wembley.

We'll need patience and self control but we ought to win, putting us a step closer to promotion. Posh are in Cup action this weekend, Bolton go to Bristol Rovers where we hope Coldplay does some damage to help us and Barnsley visit Charlton  who have drawn their last 3 and I wouldn't refuse them a 4th on the bounce.

Spot on Madamster. I've joked about the game, but it's one that makes me nervous. That said, we've improved a lot in how we deal with shithouses and I expect us to win the game. If we do, we're almost over the line IMO.

7 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Spot on Madamster. I've joked about the game, but it's one that makes me nervous. That said, we've improved a lot in how we deal with shithouses and I expect us to win the game. If we do, we're almost over the line IMO.

What I have noticed of late is that we, collectively, generally and at goalkeeper especially, we have started to perform shithousery of our own. I've lost count of the number of time JW has gone down when we've been under the cosh somewhat.

You're right, it's one of those that's not won until after the rotund bint's encore...

With the injuries currently throughout the squad, we’ve stumbled onto a formation that surprisingly works quite well. Collo getting another weeks training helps. Joe Ward is a wing wizard with an eye for goal. CBT looks like an actual player too. NML looks the odd one out though, not quite working through the middle (not that I’m suggesting he’s dropped, he’s still good, just maybe a bit injured?)

Defence has survived 2 matches without anymore injuries. 1 to go until Sonny the headless is back.

8 minutes ago, r4derby said:

With the injuries currently throughout the squad, we’ve stumbled onto a formation that surprisingly works quite well. Collo getting another weeks training helps. Joe Ward is a wing wizard with an eye for goal. CBT looks like an actual player too. NML looks the odd one out though, not quite working through the middle (not that I’m suggesting he’s dropped, he’s still good, just maybe a bit injured?)

Defence has survived 2 matches without anymore injuries. 1 to go until Sonny the headless is back.

Yep, beware!

IMG_1795.jpeg

5 minutes ago, simmoram1995 said:

Potentially Wycombe maybe Orient we might have Gayle and Bird back 

Would be lovely. I think Bird maybe, but I think Dwight will struggle and with Collo back in the fold, I'd be tempted to Gayle more time. I am wondering though whether he might be someone we look to secure for next season. On what I've seen of him, he still has the quality to be effective at Championship level and he seems to have taken to the club and vice versa. 

Personally I wouldn’t due to the risk. I’d be tempted to go after Langstaff, Cole or the guy at Stockport who I think might be able to make the step up. 

there’s lots of players out of contract too! 

1 minute ago, simmoram1995 said:

Personally I wouldn’t due to the risk. I’d be tempted to go after Langstaff, Cole or the guy at Stockport who I think might be able to make the step up. 

there’s lots of players out of contract too! 

Stretton 🙂