Paul Warne

Day

As Warne said we won't play like that every week. But we had to.

People who question him tactically when he knows what he's doing.  Clearly did his homework and knew exactly how he wanted so set up stop Boro. Which we did. They had long rang shots and didn't create a massive chance.

Probably wanted more off us on the counter. 

Football isn't just about battering teams and playing them off the park. Defending is an art too and today we were absolutely outstanding defensively to a man. Shout outs to Ozoh, Elder, Nelson, Bradley, Nyambe and Vickers. All stand outs.

I'll stand by what I said about Bradley. He's a good defender and if he hadn't made a mistake on his debut people wouldn't be so quick to jump on him.

I remember Real Madrid winning at City 1-0 last season . Barely touched the ball all game, won 1-0. Defended and that was that.

Some of our fans need to have more faith.

Up the Rams!

2 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Cheer up you bloody misery!

I get his point tbh - it was a hard watch, but with a couple of decent additions before the window closes and PW saying we won’t always play like that I reckon that style will only be employed against the likes of Leeds/Sheff Utd etc. 

Well done Paul Warne and everyone at Derby County Football Club.

Boro always been a bogey team for the Rams and another result that goes against the grain.

Work hard together and believe in ourselves and we will carry on knocking other teams out and building the club back up to where we all want to go.

Up The Rams 🖤 🐏

It does make me laugh that people just think it’s ‘park the bus’ and it’s as easy as that. The amount of work that must go in to ensure the gaps between players isn’t there and manipulating the opposition from creating good chances is roughly 80% of tactical work that most managers focus on. 

Middlesbrough were a poor matchup for us, physically and technically. They are what I imagine Warne strives for us to be, quite simply we were outmatched and the off-the-ball work has been the difference. We had a better xG from open play than Boro today. Tactically, it was an excellently, well executed game plan. Huge credit to the coaching staff. 

I wouldn't call that a tactical masterclass.   Yes we defended well but we created  pretty much nothing.   

Not knocking the idea of defending deep but I would guess Warne will be pleased with that part but want more of a threat  and probably not to concede possession so easily when we did win it back.   We got lucky - yes we played well enough that a bit of luck was enough to give us the win.  No doubt we'll lose points where we deserve to win at times - today we got three where the performance probably didn't merit it.    

Edited by trappatoni

3 hours ago, Jayram said:

I reckon that style will only be employed against the likes of Leeds/Sheff Utd etc. 

Well if Warney can't outsmart one dimensional Wilder, I would be seriously concerned. 

3 hours ago, Jayram said:

I get his point tbh - it was a hard watch, but with a couple of decent additions before the window closes and PW saying we won’t always play like that I reckon that style will only be employed against the likes of Leeds/Sheff Utd etc. 

maybe I am a bit odd, but I didn’t find it a hard watch. It was a nerve wracking but interesting game. We got pushed back because they had some very slick and able players. All from resources we don’t have. Yet, our guys played a team game, worked for each other, defended well, tried to create. It wasn’t meek surrender it was a game and we were in it .. Oh and WE took our chance thus winning it. There will be more exciting, evenly balanced games as you say. (And I know you recognise it won’t always be like today ) not being awkward or wanting a spat but it was fascinating to me .. watching the tide coming in and our boys building castles and walls .. it’s part of the game and they didn’t breach the barriers. 

17 minutes ago, trappatoni said:

I wouldn't call that a tactical masterclass.   Yes we defended well but we created  pretty much nothing.   

Not knocking the idea of defending deep but I would guess Warne will be pleased with that part but want more of a threat  and probably not to concede possession so easily when we did win it back.   We got lucky - yes we played well enough that a bit of luck was enough to give us the win.  No doubt we'll lose points where we deserve to win at times - today we got three where the performance probably didn't merit it.    

I don’t know if it was a ploy by P W ,but we let Matt Clarke have all the time in the world on the ball. He was slow and useless. He made the game walking pace and only played the safe ball at all times . Hats off to the manager if it was a tactic. 

7 minutes ago, jono said:

maybe I am a bit odd, but I didn’t find it a hard watch. It was a nerve wracking but interesting game. We got pushed back because they had some very slick and able players. All from resources we don’t have. Yet, our guys played a team game, worked for each other, defended well, tried to create. It wasn’t meek surrender it was a game and we were in it .. Oh and WE took our chance thus winning it. There will be more exciting, evenly balanced games as you say. (And I know you recognise it won’t always be like today ) not being awkward or wanting a spat but it was fascinating to me .. watching the tide coming in and our boys building castles and walls .. it’s part of the game and they didn’t breach the barriers. 

Exactly how I felt, not a hard watch at all, really enjoyed how we defended and worked as a team. There were no passengers out there today. It was a fully deserved victory.

6 minutes ago, Sufferingfool said:

Exactly how I felt, not a hard watch at all, really enjoyed how we defended and worked as a team. There were no passengers out there today. It was a fully deserved victory.

Agree. Think we seem better as a team and fans (not just under PW) when we've been written off and have something to fight for. Bit like that against Bolton last year. Whereas in league 1 being a target we often struggled. BUT having enjoyed today esp as it was against Boro thats not saying I dont want us to strengthen upfront and pose more threat going forwards. 

55 minutes ago, jono said:

I enjoyed the game, I thought it was like a game of chess and we out-thought Boro.