Paul Warne

Day

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Paul Warne deserves credit for getting us promoted. Doesn’t really matter how, his goal was to get us promoted and he has achieved.

But he will need help this summer. This current side under Warne finishes bottom three next season.

If we stick with Warne, he will need seven or eight new signings to give us a chance.

It might surprise you to know that most of us know we have certain aging players in the autumn of their careers. You don’t need to be a genius to realise that going up a league will mean we need reinforcements and replacements. Are you after another medal for stating the obvious. ?

Your posts seem to have particular themes .. this is one of them : State the obvious like it is some revelation that the rest of us have never even considered. So condescending. Pssst quite a few of us have been around a while, played the game and watched it at many levels over a lifetime

Alex Ferguson once said .. The first rule of intelligence is to remember the other guy isn’t stupid. 

52 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

The reason why it’s more evident with Warne is because he won’t get more out of players. He isn’t a top coach like a Farke or Bielsa.

If our team is bottom three standard, then we will go down with him.

If our team is bottom six standard, then we will finish bottom six with him.

While some managers can get more out of players and have the team achieving more than their actual ability (Neil Warnock as an example), Paul Warne doesn’t fall into that category as shown by his Rotherham spells.

I’d argue his Rotherham spells indicate very much that he can get more out of players as his promotion seasons from league one all coincided with “bigger, better resourced” clubs (the likes of Bolton, Portsmouth, Blackburn, Sunderland) being in the league and yet he got plucky ol’ Rotherham up into the championship at their expense. 
It’s also clear that he’s not then done the business when he gets to the championship, that could be down to his ability as a manager/coach, it could be down to resource.
We will recruit in the summer, there are a number of players out of contract and loan players who will return to parent clubs. For every “duff signing” some folk will be at pains to point out, he’s also shown he can pick a player with the likes of Adams, Nyambe, Nelson, Ward and Wilson all looking like good additions. 
He’s earned a crack at the championship with Derby, provided we get there, but as I’ve said many times before…if we’re struggling when we’re in that league and fans turn then he’ll likely be shown the door, so these statements about being bottom 3 or bottom 6 and going down with him as he’s not a top coach almost feel like hollow hyperbole to me.
He’s the manager for now, he’s probably won promotion, he’ll probably get a crack and if it’s not working he’ll be replaced and maybe they’ll do better.

How did Watford and Hull get on in the end?

Of course the squad needs an overhaul, my concern is where the money is coming from.  DC is running a tight ship - and I approve of that, given the past few years, but if you recall the lean GSE years even they were pumping money into the club and getting nowhere.

You could argue that (assuming we finish the job next weekend) we've gone up too quickly - the squad needs a fair amount of surgery next season to compete and we're still a fair way from any youngsters coming through.  I don't envisage many signings as such, more freebies and loans again.

We we're warned at the fans forum a while back that if we do up we're looking at a couple of seasons of stability before we hopefully push on - to me that means avoid relegation/push for mid-table. Given that we've been in and around the top 6/top 2 for months and some people have still wanted to get rid of PW, unless we've got some 'god tier' scouting lined up next season is gonna be a tough and PW will come under pressure again from the usual suspects.  

Personally, unless we get some outside investment I'm okay with slow and financially prudent progression.

Warne may not be a tactical genius, or have the wherewithal to train a team to play the technical possession game which is most desired these days. However, I do think he's a great coach when it comes to man management and creating a positive club culture and that cannot be disregarded. Obviously you want a coach who does both, but Klopp ain't gonna drop down to Derby's level, lads. Maybe I'll change my opinion in 6 months time, but (for now) I'm happy to have a man at the helm who is trying to create a happy working atmosphere around a club which nearly dissolved 18 months ago and wants to bring in players who have a good attitude. 

2 hours ago, maxjam said:

Of course the squad needs an overhaul, my concern is where the money is coming from.  DC is running a tight ship - and I approve of that, given the past few years, but if you recall the lean GSE years even they were pumping money into the club and getting nowhere.

I suspect, without any actual evidence that Warne was appointed because he could get us up and keep us up on the reletive cheap. DC isn't rich, for a club owner, and we won't be chucking money at the problem like we have in years gone past.

I don't have a problem with going counter attack, we look so much more dangerous on the break. Warne will make a team with great spirit, energy, and we will suprise teams who underestimate and attack us. I'm not confident he can fashion a team that will break down teams that park the bus, but that isn't next seasons problem(unless we f*** up next week).

6 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I’d argue his Rotherham spells indicate very much that he can get more out of players

Since Ronnie Moore gave them 4 cobsexutive seasons in the Championship during the early 2000's, Rotherham have only survived in the Championship on 3 occasions.

14/15 (Steve Evans), 15/16 (thanks to Warnock's 24 points in 16 games), then 22/23 (Warne's 14 points in 9 games and Taylor's 36 pounts in 32 games).

Just a year after Warnock averaged 1.5 points per gane, Warne picked up just 16 in 28 games. The question here is how much damage Stubbs (6 points in 13 games) did to the squad in the summer to make it harder for Warne.

Warne's last 2 seasons at Rotherham also showed signs of end of season fatigue, where if the had maintained their early season form over their final 10 games, they would have won the league in 20/21 (finished 2nd), and stayed up in 21/22 at our expense (finished 23rd). The 19/20 season was cut short due to Covid.

Burnout is also something we experienced last season, picking up just 12 points from our final 10 games. Continuing early season form would have meant a 5th place finish. This season, whilst there are arguments for pushing players too hard, results over these final 10 games haven't suffered. Potentially due to having a bigger and better balanced squad than he's had previously?

6 hours ago, BaianoPOTY98 said:

Paul Warne barring a complete disaster has done his job, fair play to him and Clowes got it bang right 👌 but this is not the football I wanna watch week in week out, great that Warne has done his job and taken us up but sorry that’s not for me next year 😢

Lose Warne or lose you ,,,,,,, erm it’s a tough one 😂😂

I do think that Paul Warne will fall in to the category of you don’t know what you’ve got til it’s gone. 

Fair enough tactically there’s a question mark and in the transfer market there’s a smaller question mark (Adam’s and Gayle) have bought him back some credit. But his interviews are interesting in my opinion. Much rather listen to Warne waffle than the usual media trained cliches.

Warne has also clearly changed the culture in the club. We were suffering an admin hangover when he came in. Now we’re 1 point from promotion with admin far in the wing mirror. The players seem to love him as well. 

Assuming the nightmare scenario doesn’t occur next week I suggest everyone enjoys the promotion, sips or chugs a beverage of their choice and enjoy the summer.

6 hours ago, BaianoPOTY98 said:

Paul Warne barring a complete disaster has done his job, fair play to him and Clowes got it bang right 👌 but this is not the football I wanna watch week in week out, great that Warne has done his job and taken us up but sorry that’s not for me next year 😢

We dont know what sort of football we will be watching next season, so lets at least give him chance, not write us off before a ball has been kicked.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Since Ronnie Moore gave them 4 cobsexutive seasons in the Championship during the early 2000's, Rotherham have only survived in the Championship on 3 occasions.

14/15 (Steve Evans), 15/16 (thanks to Warnock's 24 points in 16 games), then 22/23 (Warne's 14 points in 9 games and Taylor's 36 pounts in 32 games).

Just a year after Warnock averaged 1.5 points per gane, Warne picked up just 16 in 28 games. The question here is how much damage Stubbs (6 points in 13 games) did to the squad in the summer to make it harder for Warne.

Warne's last 2 seasons at Rotherham also showed signs of end of season fatigue, where if the had maintained their early season form over their final 10 games, they would have won the league in 20/21 (finished 2nd), and stayed up in 21/22 at our expense (finished 23rd). The 19/20 season was cut short due to Covid.

Burnout is also something we experienced last season, picking up just 12 points from our final 10 games. Continuing early season form would have meant a 5th place finish. This season, whilst there are arguments for pushing players too hard, results over these final 10 games haven't suffered. Potentially due to having a bigger and better balanced squad than he's had previously?

Quoted part of what I said without the context I provided regarding how their promotions from league one suggest he can make a team more than the sum of its parts when Rotherham compare in size and stature to some of the other sides in the league in those seasons. 
I’m not saying he’s perfect, far from it, but it was stated as fact that Warne can’t get the best out of players (paraphrased slightly there) when I personally feel there’s some evidence he can.

Whether or not he’s able to adapt his tactics to keep a side in the championship is questionable, whether or not he can get the team playing the brand of football some would prefer over the more pragmatic approach we’ve seen is even more questionable, but the statement comparing him to the likes of Bielsa, Farke and Warnock just seemed odd to me. He’s not any of those, and isn’t trying to be, could we get a “better” coach and/or manager? Probably. However he’s what we’ve got for now, I don’t understand how people can’t reluctantly accept that and just enjoy the relative success the side is having at the moment. If he struggles at the next step, he’ll go, that’s how football is and everyone then gets a chance to see how our new wonder coach does instead. 

6 minutes ago, Kathcairns said:

We dont know what sort of football we will be watching next season, so lets at least give him chance, not write us off before a ball has been kicked.

Adams, Niambe, Nelson, Ward, Wilson, CBT, NML, Fornah .. he definitely favours an 'athletic' footballer. 

Generally strong, or at least tenacious....with pace preferably, especially up front.

What I struggle with is why he persisted so much with Hourihane? It was clearly where we struggled (in the middle) and yet he kept picking someone in that crucial role who doesn't really seem to be his kind of player.

Cashin and Nelson have got a bit of everything,  surely the best defensive partnership in the league.

Collins has been an absolute warrior this season... just think we need an upgrade there most urgently. 

1 hour ago, Kathcairns said:

I was going to make the same point. Warne was brought in because he knows how to get promoted out of this league and is doing a good job again. He's put together a squad and tactics to get us to second in league 1 and that was his objective. Fingers crossed we get it done next weekend.

What none of us know is how he would want us to play and what players he would like to sign in the championship, especially as he is likely to have a different budget to Rotherham in the championship. Pearce has already said that we wouldn't be there to just make up the numbers and money would be available. That and the lifting of restrictions, I actually look forward to seeing what Warne and his team can do. 

On 18/04/2024 at 23:30, MaltRam said:

You cannot play one touch 50 pass moves with league 1 players.

Just to put some facts in place here.

Derby have a pass accuracy of 75% on a good day. That means we have a less than even chance of stringing 3 passes together. To get ten the odds are about 1 in 20 attempts. We average 200 passes a game so once a game we may get 10 passes completed. The odds against 50 is 1 in 2million.

Even top teams say 90% accuracy will only achieve 10 passes about a third of the time.

I have always liked PW but at one stage I passed over to the just about had enough of this side of the argument after a negative spell but never stopped supporting and wanting us to win. But then I stopped doing the matchday prediction thread and Adams was signed. Not sure which had greatest effect! 

With the injuries he has had, especially to forward players, PW and his team have had a brilliant run-in. Hope we get the dream end next week with a win. Saw some idiot post thanks for promotion now bye bye on twitter. Words fail me.  On the injuries front couple of weeks ago heard a radio discussion on EPL and how many coaches were linking increase in certain injuries to the additional time being played and general delays in games this season. Sure this will be discussed more

Should have stuck with my initial view of PW that he is just what we needed post admin. Looking forward to him being the boss next season wherever we are.