Derby County versus Northampton Town (H) Match Thread

S8TY

First of all, really enjoyed the way we played tonight, back 4 excellent, played through the midfield , players running into space, a absolute  pleasure to watch, Bird outstanding, 2 very well taken goals to boot, Washington ran his wotsits off, scored one, and set one up, then second half, Mendez finished a very well worked goal, could have been 7, great evenings entertainment at PP tonight , it was definitely a treat, hope those who missed it, will return against Barnsley at home on the11th of November, which will be a bigger test, so the team, will need every Ram behind them, it's in our DNA. 

2 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Must confess I did enjoy watching that. Clearly the opposition were very limited but that's not Derby's fault.

What struck me tonight was how comfortable we looked with the ball - pop passes, plenty of movement & patience when in possession. That mentality gave us control of the game very quickly & thereafter they couldn't stop us slicing through them. We have the players to play this way regularly & I want us to have the same principles away from PP with oppo midfielders closing down quicker than Northampton's did tonight - not the hot potato rubbish we've seen in recent weeks.

Shout out to Conor Washington who I thought was very good with his movement, touch & work rate - great finish too. A deserved MOM for Max Bird though who looked like a mini Frank Lampard that first half in particular. Two immaculate finishes & maybe the start of a breakout season for him in terms of goalscoring.

Pleased also for Dajaune Brown getting his first minutes of first team action & hopefully his debut sees him kick on to be a regular first team squad member.

Regarding playing away from home, the players s*** themselves at small grounds on the ball I think. Granted only been to Shrewsbury but on poor pitches at a low level kind of atmosphere and ground I think we go into hit it long mode.

Edited by Marriot Ram99

1 hour ago, ram59 said:

Northampton were poor tonight or was it that Derby were really good? They haven't lost by more than one goal all season and have played against the 4 teams directly above us, actually beating Peterborough. So they weren't cannon fodder going into tonight's game. Remember, non of the goals were the result of defenders mistakes, all four were crafted by Derby. What percentage of goals have we conceded this season because of individual errors?

Big shout out to the officials, clamped down one bad tackle in the second minute but then allowed a proper man's game by letting the game flow with a few niggly 'fouls' for either side being ignored. Washington's booking was justified for stopping a potentially dangerous break.

Aha nice to read a balanced perspective. 

Stevenage are in a play off position but the away defeat by them was greeted by some with a variety of wailing and gnashing of teeth. 

Just back. Well what a difference a great performance makes to the drive home. Almost didnt go as been rubbish week for all sorts of reasons but so glad I did. Enjoyed that especially the first half. Great passing football and work effort for a team "not playing for manager." Surprisingly good atmosphere from the off but early goal helped! Their fans showed some humour too. 

So much to enjoy tonight but my personal highlight was nyambes shorts being about 3 sizes too small for him. What a player he is by the way. Him, Nelson and Bradley strolled through that game.

Fair play to smith who was ratting and scratting all night winning little tackles to rob the ball in tight positions which almost goes unnoticed.

Wildsmith could have been subbed at half time and we still would have kept a clean sheet.

Nelson is a fantastic signing. My pick for player of the season so far.

Wards delivery makes Beckham look like a pub player, shame collins had his trick or treat Toblerone sellotaped to his head.

13 minutes ago, KBB said:

So much to enjoy tonight but my personal highlight was nyambes shorts being about 3 sizes too small for him. What a player he is by the way. Him, Nelson and Bradley strolled through that game.

Fair play to smith who was ratting and scratting all night winning little tackles to rob the ball in tight positions which almost goes unnoticed.

Wildsmith could have been subbed at half time and we still would have kept a clean sheet.

Nelson is a fantastic signing. My pick for player of the season so far.

Wards delivery makes Beckham look like a pub player, shame collins had his trick or treat Toblerone sellotaped to his head.

Yes shorts were certainly a highlight! Ref's fall also a top moment. Good shout out re Smith. 
Bradley's performance for me summed up in a cool little header over everyone scrapping for the ball towards the end. Hope he continues to get his confidence back. 

Most confused, after seeing all the recent posts from the Warne out section, that is his football is boring clueless hoof-ball, lacking in sparkle.

So why am I seeing words like treat, enjoy, great entertainment, amazing and playing through midfield, from people describing tonights performance? Could the call for the sacking of Warne, be a little premature?

Should we show the same faith, that Clowes has in Warne and give both our full support?

7 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I felt it was an exceptional performance for the first 60 mins, with the defensive side of our game being very good throughout, especially with winning the ball back in midfield. 6 different players with goals/assists is also a very encouraging sign.

The only real downside for me was the yse of subs. Momentum was lost when we made our changes, with less emphasis on playing through the middle and getting it wide, especially after Bird cane off and we went with 2 up top.

It was a shame Brown couldn't be brought on earlier before changing our system. It's also a shame that Suboey is back to the bench after 2 goals and 1 assist in less than 300 minute of action, with only 120 of those in his best position.

Yes, I wanted to see more of Brown too, but on reflection 15 minutes wasn’t unreasonable. The system at that point didn’t provide him with much in the way of chances but he looks a real unit for 18. I hope we see more of him. 

Sibbs is a useful player and capable of a magic moment but I have come to the conclusion that L1 stars are like the football, inconsistent…. as is Sibley.

That's more like it! Let's see another performance like that on Satutday.

Sonny Bradley's best game so far, showing his quality at last.

Washington has a great turn on the ball, love to see it, and now he's adding some goals.

NML, Bird, Hourihane, Wilson, Nelson, Nyambe, I thought they were all excellent.

Would have been good to see Brown come on at 60 minutes instead of Collins. He looked really good in the last 15. I can't fathom the point of bring JC on at 4 nil, we all know what he can and can't do. i. e. he can run around and miss headers.

Missed the game , in Morocco playing golf but the highlights this morning look spot on , got to get a run going and get in those play off spots ,

I really want warne to succeed here and the reason being that he really deserves a shot at a bigger club , he has earned it with his record at Rotherham and it’s a nice change from the likes of lampard and Rooney who got the job without ever having managed a club before ,

its a step up but maybe clowes is of a mind to understand that perhaps warne may take a little time to adapt and is prepared to give him every chance 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Archied

9 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Well, that was better. Went to pot as soon as Collins came on, but c’est la vie.

Can’t wait to lose to Crewe on Saturday now when we revert to goofball.

I call it good game management. The game was all but won at that point, so bring off the performers and save them for the next game.