Current Form 

A Bristol Rovers    L   1-2

H Leyton Orient    D   2-2

A Bolton Wanderers  L   1-2

A Shrewsbury Town   L  0-1

H Reading   W   3-1

A Exeter City  W 2-0

Top Goalscorer - Sam Hoskins - 8 Goals 

My first attempt at a Match Day Thread and we go into this important game in hand on the back of a disappointing result and performance away to the mighty Stevenage where it seems Mr Evans done a proper job on us .

This has now become a must win game for many and in some ways we couldn't have picked better opponents as the Cobblers are on a poor run of form failing to win in there last 4 League 1 outings.

There Top Scorer Sam Hoskins looks the most obvious threat currently on 8 Goals which is a good return barring in mind that the Cobblers are sitting 20th and just outside of the drop Zone

I'm personally hoping we really go for it in this one and as far as know only Waggy is definitely missing together with long term absentee TJJ 

Don't know what to expect line up wise but with Ward now back could we possibly go with Warne's preferred 3-5-2 with Nyambe ( who's looked very good ) switching to RCB and Ward coming in at RWB

A big game in many ways and 3 points is a must really  and a good  confidence building performance would be nice and propel us back up to touching distance of the play offs  

This is where our run begins so get used to my MD Threads  ( Big Crossing of Fingers ) 

COYR - 3 points please 

Shame Waghorn isn’t fit.

I’d go with 

Wildsmith   

Nyambe    Nelson   Forsyth 

Wilson                                         Sibley

Ward      Bird    Hourihane 

NML         Washington 

How do we waghorn is not fit? 
I thought warne said he wasn’t playing as a precaution?

My team would be

Wildsmith 

Nyambe Nelson Bradley Forsyth 

Fornah

Bird   Houraine 

NML          Collins          Barks

Think cashin could do with a break after a few shaky displays.

Fornah to sit infront of back 4 which gives freedom for bird/houriane to get forward

we have to start this game on the front foot from 1st whistle

53 minutes ago, Paultheram said:

How do we waghorn is not fit? 
I thought warne said he wasn’t playing as a precaution?

My team would be

Wildsmith 

Nyambe Nelson Bradley Forsyth 

Fornah

Bird   Houraine 

NML          Collins          Barks

Think cashin could do with a break after a few shaky displays.

Fornah to sit infront of back 4 which gives freedom for bird/houriane to get forward

we have to start this game on the front foot from 1st whistle

I think Cashin will be having a break, he’s suspended after picking up his 5th booking of the season isn’t he?

Hi Derby fans, I know you have bigger fish to fry in terms of wanting Warne out, but thought I would provide a little information on the current Northampton side to provide you a little context before tomorrows game.

We are very much a yo-yo side between L1 and L2 and as most expected we are struggling this season. We have not lost any game by more than 1 goal but that is not helping our points tally at all. Injuries have been a massive issue the last 12 months or so, its rare we have had less than 8 out injured. Whilst injuries are part and parcel of the game, when you already have a squad expected to struggle it creates a bit of an impossible task.

We are unlikely to have any of of injured bodies back for Tuesday, which means our best CB and best striker are injured. Considering both boxes is where we need to improve that is not good news! 

Our manager Jon Brady has lived in the area for decades since moving across from Australia. Played for lots of clubs in our region and then got the permanent managers job after managing the U18's. He is extremely passionate (maybe too much so as gets booked so often), but he is also passionate about the club and area which really has built a link with the fan base. He has also done a fantastic job so far in my opinion, developing our style away from just pure long ball which we have endured a lot of over the last few decades. We are not total football by any stretch of the imagination but have the ability to retain the ball far better now. That being said he is clearly getting frustrated at the lack of available bodies and the low budget he has to work with in L1. Despite our lowly position he is still pretty much universally backed by the entire fan base.

In terms of danger man you are right to highlight Sam Hoskins. He has gone from a player who was very much a marmite player amongst the fanbase to a club legend. He has always worked extremely hard and has played in every outfield position for us during his time here. The problem was his work rate would often mean that he was seemingly undroppable which meant he was an easy target. However Brady has recognised that he is comfortably our best finisher, meaning he is now less involved in build up play but much more in the final 3rd which has seen his goal tally rocket. He was the first player to score 20 goals for us since the early 90's and is now top 10 all time in appearances and goals.

Two other players that stand out for us (that are currently fit) are defenders Sam Sherring and Marc Leonard. Sherring is a young defender who is comfortable on the ball and is continuting to develop, i have no doubt he will go onto bigger and better things. Leonard is on load for the second season in a row here from Brighton and is arguably the best natural talent I have seen in the CM for us. We have had Matt Grimes and Matt Crooks here in recent years but Leonard just keeps things ticking over effortlessly.

I wonder if we may set up with a back 3/5 (I know not popular here!) Something along the lines of....

Burge 

Willis Sherring Monthe

Odimayo                               Brough

Mcwilliams Leonard

Pinnock                                  Hoskins

Simpson

I am going for a narrow 2-1 loss which is very much the story of our season. A point would be massive for us but despite your recent troubles there are still several levels between the sides.

Looking forward to being back at Pride Park and will post my thoughts after the game. Enjoy the game and rest of the season!

Edited by LoadofCobblers
Update.

8 minutes ago, LoadofCobblers said:

However Brady has recognised that he is comfortably our best finisher, meaning he is now less involved in build up play but much more in the final 3rd which has seen his goal tally rocket.

So the complete antithesis of Collo. I love his passion but I just want Collins to stay between the widths of the goal posts, particularly if we’re playing Barks and NML.

12 minutes ago, LoadofCobblers said:

However Brady has recognised that he is comfortably our best finisher, meaning he is now less involved in build up play but much more in the final 3rd which has seen his goal tally rocket.

What plenty of people have been saying about James Collins (minus the comfortably best finisher bit) but most of the time he's still everywhere except the penalty area when chances emerge. I think he'd be a much more effective finisher and player for us if he was told to cut out the build up the play, which he's not that good at anyway, and goal hang a bit more.  

25 minutes ago, LoadofCobblers said:

Hi Derby fans, I know you have bigger fish to fry in terms of wanting Warne out, but thought I would provide a little information on the current Northampton side to provide you a little context before tomorrows game.

We are very much a yo-yo side between L1 and L2 and as most expected we are struggling this season. We have not lost any game by more than 1 goal but that is not helping our points tally at all. Injuries have been a massive issue the last 12 months or so, its rare we have had less than 8 out injured. Whilst injuries are part and parcel of the game, when you already have a squad expected to struggle it creates a bit of an impossible task.

We are unlikely to have any of of injured bodies back for Tuesday, which means our best CB and best striker are injured. Considering both boxes is where we need to improve that is not good news! 

Our manager Jon Brady has lived in the area for decades since moving across from Australia. Played for lots of clubs in our region and then got the permanent managers job after managing the U18's. He is extremely passionate (maybe too much so as gets booked so often), but he is also passionate about the club and area which really has built a link with the fan base. He has also done a fantastic job so far in my opinion, developing our style away from just pure long ball which we have endured a lot of over the last few decades. We are not total football by any stretch of the imagination but have the ability to retain the ball far better now. That being said he is clearly getting frustrated at the lack of available bodies and the low budget he has to work with in L1. Despite our lowly position he is still pretty much universally backed by the entire fan base.

In terms of danger man you are right to highlight Sam Hoskins. He has gone from a player who was very much a marmite player amongst the fanbase to a club legend. He has always worked extremely hard and has played in every outfield position for us during his time here. The problem was his work rate would often mean that he was seemingly undroppable which meant he was an easy target. However Brady has recognised that he is comfortably our best finisher, meaning he is now less involved in build up play but much more in the final 3rd which has seen his goal tally rocket. He was the first player to score 20 goals for us since the early 90's and is now top 10 all time in appearances and goals.

Two other players that stand out for us (that are currently fit) are defenders Sam Sherring and Marc Leonard. Sherring is a young defender who is comfortable on the ball and is continuting to develop, i have no doubt he will go onto bigger and better things. Leonard is on load for the second season in a row here from Brighton and is arguably the best natural talent I have seen in the CM for us. We have had Matt Grimes and Matt Crooks here in recent years but Leonard just keeps things ticking over effortlessly.

I wonder if we may set up with a back 3/5 (I know not popular here!) Something along the lines of....

Burge 

Willis Sherring Monthe

Odimayo                               Brough

Mcwilliams Leonard

Pinnock                                  Hoskins

Simpson

I am going for a narrow 2-1 loss which is very much the story of our season. A point would be massive for us but despite your recent troubles there are still several levels between the sides.

Looking forward to being back at Pride Park and will post my thoughts after the game. Enjoy the game and rest of the season!

So you will have the fun of the A14 on a wet Tuesday evening, 2 of us are coming up from Suffolk for the game, not looking forward to the drive back if you score first it will be toxic atmosphere in the ground.

If we score first it will be a different game I think....Cmon you Rams!

24 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Wildsmith
Nyambe   Nelson   Cashin   Forsyth
Fornah
Mendez-Laing   Bird   Sibley   Barkhuizen
Waghorn

Subs: Bradley, Wilson, Ward, Smith, Hourihane, Waghington, Collins

Cashin is suspended and it appears Waghorn may still be out according yo others on here

Thanks for making an effort with the thread @S8TY

A poor performance and/or result and the atmosphere could become unpleasant. Fingers crossed we put in a much improved display involving passing the ball on the ground and overall control. My preferred 18: (no chance of it I know)

Wildsmith

Nyambe      Nelson     Bradley       Forsyth

Fornah

Bird                    Hourihane    

NML                                        Barkhuizen

Brown

(Vickers, Jeffcott, Sibley, Smith, Ward, Wilson, Collins)

I know it's been discussed elsewhere about the gap between U21 level and L1 but I fail to see the harm in at least trying Dajaune Brown up top. He is guaranteed to offer more pace and mobility than the other options and basically can't be much worse than Collins or Washington. The potential upside though, both in terms of actual overall team performance and a boost to the fans' enthusiasm levels, is significant enough to justify giving the young lad a crack.

Edited by Rampant

Will he go with Bradley or move Nyambe inside and start with Ward....

Suppose it may depend on their physical presence up front, if they are mobile and pacey I wouldn't like to see Bradley replacing Cashin, or maybe a curve ball with Forsyth moving inside and Elder coming in from the cold if he's fit

You never know, this might be the game we both get a reaction to Saturday and things start to click with the team.

Maybe we've already been as bad as we can be this season and things start to get better.

OK,it's hope more than expectation but as it seems we're on it for the long haul with warneball we can all choose blind faith, although, if there is a loving God, why, why does he let what's happening in the world happen?

1 hour ago, Rich84 said:

Cashin is suspended and it appears Waghorn may still be out according yo others on here

Update:

Wildsmith
Nyambe   Nelson   Bradley   Forsyth
Fornah
Mendez-Laing   Bird   Sibley   Barkhuizen
Collins

Subs: Vickers, Wilson, Ward, Smith, Hourihane, Waghington, Brown

Edited by Ghost of Clough