Derby County versus Northampton Town (H) Match Thread

S8TY

7 hours ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Think the back was amazing tonight which gave the front four a platform to go an express themselves by playing more fluid football. Amazing to think that the back four were at four different clubs last season, they looked like a cohesive unit. Bradley will be a great player for us once all the rustiness leaves him. 

I am told he hardly played at the end of last season and was no where near match sharp, then he had those eff ups at a new club. Huge mountain for him to climb personally, but last night he looked excellent. 

6 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Aha nice to read a balanced perspective. 

Stevenage are in a play off position but the away defeat by them was greeted by some with a variety of wailing and gnashing of teeth. 

8 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Unhelpful and unnessary comment I can imagine only to artificially stoke some imaginary fire.

6 minutes ago, derbydaz22 said:

Where has this been? Much improved playing it on the floor and excellent movement off the ball. Washington led the line well and Bird and our 2 wide players were a real handful. Northampton were probably the worst team I’ve seen at Pride park though but still a good performance.

Yes Washington drops off his marker at times and comes for the ball to feet and at other times is prepared to stretch there back line in behind 

his finish was excellent last night and I really think give this line up the chance to keep the shirt including. Cashin 

I’ll probably get pelters for this but sometimes Cash has to make last ditch blocks and tackles etc but there are times it’s because he has not been in correct position to start with ….still a good player but if he’s going I’d give Bradley the chance now to keep the shirt ….would be unfair now to drop Bradley after a good performance and he’s waited long enough for a full game 

Regarding match thread 🤔 

I did say this is the start of a long unbeaten run lol

do I just do the league match days ? As happy if someone else wants to do the cup games but will go with the unwritten rule 

This is where our season starts ..keep playing like last night please as any loss will not then seem like a disaster 👍🏻

1 minute ago, S8TY said:

Regarding match thread 🤔 

I did say this is the start of a long unbeaten run lol

do I just do the league match days ? As happy if someone else wants to do the cup games but will go with the unwritten rule 

This is where our season starts ..keep playing like last night please as any loss will not then seem like a disaster 👍🏻

You've got to do 'em all mate. No good trying to escape now. That's you until the end of the season and you'd best not let us down.

Really enjoyed last night. Moving forwards though that has to be the blue print. We have to be trying to play football. 

No reverting back to crap just because a team is a bit better than Northampton. We try this against every team - we’ll win more than we lose and the fans will broadly be on board. 

Much more like it yesterday, an entertaining game with 4 very well worked goals. For the first half especially it was like attack v defence with a poor Northampton side happy to give us the ball to attack again 7 -0 would not have flatters us. 
The support was still muted, it will take a run on consistent performances before Paul Warne’s B&W army and Warney give us a wave are trotted out with any enthusiasm but two convincing home wins is a distinct improvement.

Good performance and some very encouraging input from Bird, Hourihan, Washington and Bradley. Begs the question where (with the exception of Bird) they've been for the rest of the season but if they kick on like that we've got the signings we thought we got (and I say that for Conor as well who has been, pretty much without exception, extremely disappointing).

Pushed from the off and it was a good performance but there were still worried in there. Northampton were the most inept team at Pride Park since first half Shrewsbury last season. Yet in the first half they cut through us a couple of times like nobody was there, a couple of more precise passes and it could easily have been 1-1. After the second and third they lost heart but there were moments in there were we showed once again completely lack of desire to close players down.

End of the day we won 4-0 but there is still much to be concerned about.

Connor Washington came across really, really well in his interview. Smart, sensible comments and came across as a bit brighter than the average footballer. Seemed to talk, albeit briefly, about aspects of the game that PW just doesn't but perhaps that's just a style thing - i.e. PW says it in a more... layman's fashion whereas I think as fans, we actually want to understand more about the tactical side in detail.

Anyway, CW - gone up in my estimation.

Collins however - missed some sitters.

Definitely better last night, although has to be caveated that Northampton are comfortably the worst side we've played this season.

Performance was good and created plenty without ever looking exposed at the back.

Challenge is the same as last week, can we build on it and put a couple results together whilst maintaining performance level.

Lots of players put in really good performances, perhaps only concern is average age of the starting 11 was 30.3.

27 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Good performance and some very encouraging input from Bird, Hourihan, Washington and Bradley. Begs the question where (with the exception of Bird) they've been for the rest of the season but if they kick on like that we've got the signings we thought we got (and I say that for Conor as well who has been, pretty much without exception, extremely disappointing).

Pushed from the off and it was a good performance but there were still worried in there. Northampton were the most inept team at Pride Park since first half Shrewsbury last season. Yet in the first half they cut through us a couple of times like nobody was there, a couple of more precise passes and it could easily have been 1-1. After the second and third they lost heart but there were moments in there were we showed once again completely lack of desire to close players down.

End of the day we won 4-0 but there is still much to be concerned about.

They've been booting the ball wide and then into the box, ad nauseum, is where they've been. 

31 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

One of the Conors is going to be reading this forum today and getting unnecessarily upset because you meant the other one. 

Not that I'm trying to make you feel guilty.

OK folks...why was it so different, Did the fact that Cashin didn't play, That we what looked to be a 4-2-3-1, That PW gave the midfield carte blanche to play, That we had a forward midfield that was actually...forward, FWIW I'll tell you, There's been words by both the players and owner, I don't fall for this "the meeting was called ages ago" DC knew there were rumblings of discontent and pretty heavy talks were had, Also Hourihane being the captain would be duty bound to talk to PW with the players concerns...abuse/uncomfortable playing.

Whatever the meeting...last night shows what can be done if the minds of the players and the manager merge into one, We all are aware that we have talent in this squad...it's getting the best out of them that's the hard part, I'm not going to piss on any ones chips as there's still 31 league games to go, Rome wasn't built in a day...remember Blackpool away, So take note DCFC...fans do have a say in how things go on the pitch 😉

4 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

I'm not bothered if the average age of the starting 11 is 40.3 if we play like that every game.

No but it does have ramifications over the course of the season and beyond that means they probably can't play like that every game.

Also doesn't help the narrative that PW doesn't trust young players.

Excellent performance, passing on the grass to each other, retaining possession instead of a percentage lump forward, crosses with pace instead of a looping effort to nowhere, varying the way we attacked and a forward playing like a forward. 

I hope that the penny has dropped with our management that we don’t need to worry so much about what other teams do. The players were enjoying the way we were playing; it was entertaining and positive. 

5 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

OK folks...why was it so different, Did the fact that Cashin didn't play, That we what looked to be a 4-2-3-1, That PW gave the midfield carte blanche to play, That we had a forward midfield that was actually...forward, FWIW I'll tell you, There's been words by both the players and owner, I don't fall for this "the meeting was called ages ago" DC knew there were rumblings of discontent and pretty heavy talks were had, Also Hourihane being the captain would be duty bound to talk to PW with the players concerns...abuse/uncomfortable playing.

Whatever the meeting...last night shows what can be done if the minds of the players and the manager merge into one, We all are aware that we have talent in this squad...it's getting the best out of them that's the hard part, I'm not going to piss on any ones chips as there's still 31 league games to go, Rome wasn't built in a day...remember Blackpool away, So take note DCFC...fans do have a say in how things go on the pitch 😉

I broadly agree and credit where it's due because we looked very good, but we didn't even need to hit top gear because Northampton were very, very bad. And whereas they could have been bad but hungry/dirty... they were just bad.

As others have said, the next away game versus a team who give us no time on the ball will be the test of whether this means much. But 3 points and a nice warm glow are not to be sniffed at.