Derby County versus Northampton Town (H) Match Thread

S8TY

A decent win last night, but I didn't come away buzzing and I can't say it has changed much unless we do it on a consistent basis. Northampton were woeful and while you can only beat what's in front of you, the game was over in half an hour. Lose at Crewe and it's back to square one and Warne your football is s***

However, some positives:

A good game for Bradley to get 90 minutes in as he hardly had to do anything and his confidence will hopefully improve. 

Washington looked better than he has done.

Good to see Brown, he should be ahead of Collins in the pecking order for now so we can get a better look at him.

Bird and Barks get better the fitter they are becoming after his long lay off.

Northampton fans did well in the face of a pathetic performance, particularly the last 20 mins. 

There was a small group of South Stand fans who were having a go at other South Stand fans last night, and then at the drummer. Interesting. I wonder if this is the same collective who hate Warne when we let in a goal and adore him when we score. 

14 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Loving all the comments about how bad Northampton were, but you can only beat what's infront of you.

Maybe Northampton were that bad because we were that good! 

How many other teams have hammered them the way we did last night?

I expect the Northampton fan would say how awful they were, wouldn't want to credit us.

25 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Loving all the comments about how bad Northampton were, but you can only beat what's infront of you.

Maybe Northampton were that bad because we were that good! 

How many other teams have hammered them the way we did last night?

They were 4th bottom in League One before the game last night so it’s fair to assume they are not world beaters. That said I loved our performance.

Northampton were bad, because Northampton were bad. Whether they've played better in other games this season or not, it doesn't take away from how poor they were last night. You only have to listen to their fans to know that. I've also seen mention of an injury 'situation' which is bound to hit harder for a team at the bottom end of the league and low on quality in reserve. Their manager has pointed out that the size of our pitch worked against them, so perhaps other teams they've performed better against have been on smaller, tighter pitches?

They're a team who got promoted from League Two last season scoring only 62 goals (1 more than the other two automatically promoted teams score) so their lack of attacking threat shouldn't be a surprise.

We were good because we were good. No amount of Derby being good, though, can account for their constant awful attempts at making use of any space they found themselves in them, with anything more than the most basic of passes and long balls forward going 10 yards astray of or 15 yards in front of their intended target, the latter easily mopped up by Bradley.

It's the sort of stuff that I'd sit there with my head in my hands silently screaming at if it was my team playing to that standard. Watching it from my seat all I could do was shake my head and laugh.

Whilst it's true that "you can only beat what's in front of you",  we went through all of this last season with results like

Derby 4 - 0 Forest Green Rovers
Derby 4 - 0 Accrington Stanley
Derby 5 - 0 Morecambe

All games we won at a canter playing some attractive football, and all games in which the the above mantra was repeated to anyone who pointed out how poor the opposition were.

I don't think anyone has got carried away declaring last night to be evidence that we're going to win the league or anything like that, but it has been used to try to 'shut down' dissenting voices.

All I'm saying is, perhaps something can be learned from that experience?

Edited by Kokosnuss

1 hour ago, VulcanRam said:

And sorry, I might have missed this as have not spent time on here recently, but when did Cashin become the new hate figure?  Ridiculous. 

Yeah a lot of peopoe on here saying we should drop him for Bradley.... Bradley who's had 1 good game and Cashin who's probably only had 1 bad game 

Bit harsh on Cashin really, or is it people have already decided they'd rather the money for him in January, not that long ago there was a thread about how everyone was relieved that he finally stayed with Derby County

We are very reactionary it seems..

UP THE RAMS 🐏 ️ 

Edited by TheRamOfSwad

8 minutes ago, Jayram said:

They were 4th bottom in League One before the game last night so it’s fair to assume they are not world beaters. That said I loved our performance.

I don’t think anyone (in their right mind) is getting too carried away by last nights game but, @ossieram does have a point. No one else has beaten them by more than a single goal in the league this season. I’m not going to read anything (good or bad) into our next two games but the game against Barnsley (unbeaten and the best away record in the league) will be the chance to prove we have improved (hopefully).

21 minutes ago, oomarkwright said:

I hope that Northampton fan comes on and gives us his opinions on the game like he said he would. Be interesting to get their take on how we played. 

Do you mean @LoadofCobblers? Page 29 of this thread.

1 hour ago, VulcanRam said:

And sorry, I might have missed this as have not spent time on here recently, but when did Cashin become the new hate figure?  Ridiculous. 

I wouldn't think he has, that would be daft. Bradley did bring some calmness to the defence which was good. He also played excellent passes into midfield which was a positive. 

The good thing is that assuming that Cashin goes in January, there is more comfort in playing Bradley after his dodgy start. The bad thing is that Mr Warne thinks that he can he can play three centre backs again and we are back to square one.

5 minutes ago, bcnram said:

I wouldn't think he has, that would be daft. Bradley did bring some calmness to the defence which was good. He also played excellent passes into midfield which was a positive. 

The good thing is that assuming that Cashin goes in January, there is more comfort in playing Bradley after his dodgy start. The bad thing is that Mr Warne thinks that he can he can play three centre backs again and we are back to square one.

Agreed, Bradley played well last night and gave us a glimpse of what he might bring. Equally he won't have an easier league game ever I wouldn't have thought, so we need to see whether he's put his early season jitters to bed in a far tougher environment. It was good to see him play though, we need him and an up-to-speed Bradley will be a real asset.

But there seems to be a polarised view among some that if we think Bradley is great and we kept a clean sheet it must mean Cashin is rubbish (along those lines), or that he seems to have been singled out for some our poorer disaplys; some of the criticism I've seen of him on here and on socials seems really unfair. I think, for a young player in only his second season of regular football, is doing really well. 

I'd love Cash to stay, I'd love it if Bradley had an epic rest of the season, and Nelson keeps up his form. I'd also love it if we could keep Nyambe after January. With Foz always solid, that's a very good defence. 

And to your last point, I'd like to think that if he goes back to a three after seeing Bradley there earlier in the season and the difficulties he had, then he'd need to have an almighty good reason for doing so. 

5 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

There have been loads of comments and threads about whether this squad is good enough for promotion. Some have said no, citing the awful performances so far, and others, myself included, have said yes, but we rarely see it. Until last night! 

As The Last Post has just said, I suspect that there was a lot more to the meeting between owner and manager than we were led to believe, such that the undying support fir Warne from the club was conditional. 

So was last night the result of Warne putting his hands up and just letting the boys “do their stuff” instead of imposing his “masterplan” on them. In fact the only bit of Paul Warne influence we saw last night was bringing Collins on when it should have been Browne.

Admittedly Northampton were the worst side to appear at Derby, although I didn’t get to see Finn Harps all those years ago. But as someone said earlier, Northampton haven’t lost by more than a goal or two till last night, emphasising just what our team can do if allowed.

A big shout out to Smith for his tackles and interceptions, and to Barkhuisen, who was the catalyst for so much last night, including a superb interception in our own area early doors. He could have been man of the match if Bird hadn't been so good, although has anyone else wondered if he had strayed slightly offside for the first goal?

And all four goals were superbly made, with the last one being absolutely ruthless - they made a mistake just outside our area and in a flash we had put it in the net at the other end. Marvellous!

The guy stood next to me last night described the match as “ a bit like clubbing a seal”! And we could do that to most teams in this league, so pray that we don’t revert to form and go “hoof it long to no-one” again. All the fans have wanted is for the team to play to it’s strengths. Who knows what might happen if we play like that against the Stevenages of this world!

Re Bird goal from my perspective he was careful to remain behind/level with Wash before he crossed. Their defenders were irrelevant to that....

3 hours ago, jameso said:

Can't go along with that. It's a tactic which Cashin uses repeatedly (presumably under instruction) and Bradley used last night, and definitely not only when under pressure or no shorter pass available. It's a tactic either to stretch the play, or to play the percentages. Cashin used to have some success with it and it didn't work out too badly for Bradley yesterday (partly because Northampton didn't wake up until after the final whistle).

In the point you made later, are you saying that watching our 23-24 goals to date shows we don't just play down the wings ad nauseum as @RoyMac5 had claimed? If so, on the one hand you're logically correct, but on the other it doesn't prove that we haven't been playing down the wings ad nauseum because there could be loads of examples of doing that which haven't resulted in goals - right? Or did I misunderstand your point?

FYI, despite some teams having played more games than us, we currently rank 3rd for most crosses, but have a higher success rate than those two sides. We top the list for key passes from crosses by some distance too

16 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

FYI, despite some teams having played more games than us, we currently rank 3rd for most crosses, but have a higher success rate than those two sides. We top the list for key passes from crosses by some distance too

My comment was to do with whether the evidence logically supported the claim being made, but nevertheless I am surprised at those stats - where can they be viewed? (Or could you post them here please?)