Derby County versus Northampton Town (H) Match Thread

S8TY

Re-watched the first half. I thought we moved the ball well. Better than it looked from my view in the East Stand near the away fans. What was obvious was the gap between our midfield players at times. Bird and Smith were pretty much push up against their back line, with Washington dropping to get the ball which was sticking to him. 

The above worked well, especially as Northampton just didn’t press at all so we could pick our passes. Didn’t need to be one touch. Against a better or more aggressive team, I think we need to reduce the gaps between the midfielders to successfully play through the lines , which I believe most fans want to see. 

Edited by HorsforthRam

12 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Most stats can be accessed from Whoscored

Number of crosses
image.png.8d51e65a3018e391418faef12a7391d4.png

Key passes (crosses)
image.png.d8bdd778a1bfb49539222013d4324643.png

Thanks for this. Took me a while to find the stats as there's a lot of tabs within tabs etc.!

The stats appear under "Detailed" as opposed to the other tabs ("Summary", "Defensive" and "Offensive") - are we sure that "cross passes" means attacking crosses - as opposed to just any lateral passes? Are they necessarily high or low, and over a certain distance?

What I am wondering is (a) whether these stats are definitely to do with attacking situations; and (b) how good they are as a measure of effective attacking play. They obviously use some sort of measure of how accurate a cross is, but that wouldn't (for example) necessarily weed out the accurate cross to a marked player which is difficult to control and also on his wrong foot, from a pinpoint cross on to the head of a top marksman who's prolific in the air, etc.

My feeling (not well represented in stats) is that we might put in a lot of plays technically recorded as crosses but we're not brilliant in terms of useful accuracy and we don't take full advantage even when we are. But as I say, it's hard to put forward a clear-cut case without stats.

Can we not all just enjoy the win and the performance? We can talk about how poor Northampton might have been but I for one have been calling out for entertainment and we got that but rather than enjoying it some still want to dismiss it.

We won, it was good, time will tell if it’s a corner turned or not but enjoy it for what it is. 

34 minutes ago, WilkoRam said:

Can we not all just enjoy the win and the performance? We can talk about how poor Northampton might have been but I for one have been calling out for entertainment and we got that but rather than enjoying it some still want to dismiss it.

We won, it was good, time will tell if it’s a corner turned or not but enjoy it for what it is. 

I think 99% of people are, aren’t they?

35 minutes ago, WilkoRam said:

Where did posters say they didn't enjoy it? Some are capable of enjoying a game and also consider what it might mean for other games. 😄

Edited by RoyMac5

34 minutes ago, WilkoRam said:

Yes, of course. I thought we were doing that.

Is it OK to hold simultaneously the belief that other teams will give us much harder games than Northampton did and that we might have to do a lot more to win those games? (I promise not to enjoy last night's result/performance any less 😉)

15 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Most confused, after seeing all the recent posts from the Warne out section, that is his football is boring clueless hoof-ball, lacking in sparkle.

So why am I seeing words like treat, enjoy, great entertainment, amazing and playing through midfield, from people describing tonights performance? Could the call for the sacking of Warne, be a little premature?

Should we show the same faith, that Clowes has in Warne and give both our full support?

He will undoubtedly earn that when the sorts of performances that we saw last night becomes the norm....week in week ou, rather than us salivating that this is a new dawn after 15 games of the season.

Up to now, each ray of light has been quickly blotted out by more dire football, often but not always resulting in defeat.

5 hours ago, WilkoRam said:

Typically in life I don't enjoy 'punching down' but that's what Tuesday felt like.

I enjoyed the quality of our goals, but there's only so much joy one can get from watching a team who are expected to easily beat certain opposition do just that.

The whole point of watching and enjoying your team play well for me is that you're proving yourself better than someone who could be considered an equal, better yet you're playing so well you beat teams you're not expected to.

League one is f****** boring to me, we should not be playing at this level and it's only because of Mel Morris that we are.

16 minutes ago, Jram said:

I don’t think Northampton defenders knew the rules for the first goal 😂 they work hard to keep Bird goal side and then appeal vociferously for offside as if his being behind the ball is irrelevant 

I think they were appealing that Washington was offside with the previous pass, which he might have been. 

6 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

Typically in life I don't enjoy 'punching down' but that's what Tuesday felt like.

I enjoyed the quality of our goals, but there's only so much joy one can get from watching a team who are expected to easily beat certain opposition do just that.

The whole point of watching and enjoying your team play well for me is that you're proving yourself better than someone who could be considered an equal, better yet you're playing so well you beat teams you're not expected to.

League one is f****** boring to me, we should not be playing at this level and it's only because of Mel Morris that we are.

I expected us to win 1-0 with quite an uninspiring performance. 

We genuinely looked a level above a team that we probably are a level above and that is a small step in the right direction. 

Winning 4-0 v a team who haven’t lost by more than 1 goal all season too was a surprise. 

Agree I want to see us take it to teams like Pompey and Bolton like we did Tuesday but I was entertained Tuesday night because the way we played was better than it had been for a while. We’ve played other crap teams (Cheltenham etc) and haven’t managed to play football like we did Tuesday so I’m clinging onto the positives