Ed Dawes

DarkFruitsRam7

1 hour ago, Rev said:

I remember sitting outside a pub near Smithfield Market, when I read the news Colin had passed away. 

Pub full of Millwall, and me shedding a silent tear hoping they wouldn't notice.

Fox and Anchor, Farringdon?

Back in the late 1980's/early 1990's, I used to work at the Stock Exchange, and we used to have a 'team breakfast' there once every couple of months. The pub had a 'special' licence which allowed them to open at 7:00 am.

A huge plate of sausages, bacon, black pudding etc, washed down with a couple of pints of Fullers ESB - the perfect way to start the working week.

1 hour ago, B4ev6is said:

Radio derby was bearly on today just local scores and stuff like that.

21 minutes ago, winktheram said:

Rubbish. Full commentary with Dom. 

And Fletch doing the anchor.

Exactly this...or at least it was the regular full programme that I listened to. We won't let facts get in the way though. 

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

You know what the best thing about moving to London is? You can no longer listen to Radio Derby. Bliss.

The even better news is, you can.  Thanks to the clever people at the world wide interwebby thing you go on that and then to the BBC sounds app whotsit, scramble around a bit for local radio stations until you find Radio Derby, press a button or mouse thingy and Bob’s your uncle. Wall to wall Radio Derby.
You do have to slap DCFC a chunk of money if you want to listen to actual RD match commentary though, but even that’s possible, even from London.  Even better you can catch up and replay all those programmes you might have missed because you were doing something pointless. You can even do it in the car or when walking the streets paved with gold, if you are a streetwalker that is.
Hope that helps.

35 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

The even better news is, you can.  Thanks to the clever people at the world wide interwebby thing you go on that and then to the BBC sounds app whotsit, scramble around a bit for local radio stations until you find Radio Derby, press a button or mouse thingy and Bob’s your uncle. Wall to wall Radio Derby.
You do have to slap DCFC a chunk of money if you want to listen to actual RD match commentary though, but even that’s possible, even from London.  Even better you can catch up and replay all those programmes you might have missed because you were doing something pointless. You can even do it in the car or when walking the streets paved with gold, if you are a streetwalker that is.
Hope that helps.

But you can’t listen to match commentaries.

59 minutes ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

Graham Richard’s was both insightful and erudite a rare combination.

I do wonder how much Graham Richards has coloured our opinions of how good local radio presenters actually are.  I grew up with Richards as effectively the voice of Derby County, and obviously no commentator since has really measured up.  But I think that’s a sign of how genuinely oddball and great he was, rather than a judgement on everyone else.  Local radio guys are local radio guys, and at best they’re learning their craft before they get promoted to national BBC or wherever and that’s fine.  Ed, and Dom, and Chris, and Owen, and Ross and whoever else we’ve had are all basically fine, they maybe weren’t the best commentators while they were at Radio Derby but they certainly weren’t the worst, and I have no doubt that they were all decent people who were doing their best, and they certainly don’t deserve some of the crap that gets sent their way.  The majority of them that have left seem to have gone on to bigger and better things, and I think that’s a sign that Radio Derby are getting something right somewhere, so best of luck to the next lot.

1 hour ago, Ramdale said:

Find it unbearable to listen to Eric Steele. Blokes far too negative & critical. 

I like Steele as he often will call out players for not doing what they are supposed to do. And he very much sounds like he knows what he talking about due to long experience working on the coaching staff at clubs.

This means, he doesn't just continually blame the manager all the time, but puts responsibilty on the players.

Maybe other pundits, or posters, could take note.

Edited by ariotofmyown

10 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Obviously take this with a pinch of salt, but someone on Twitter said they’d spoken to him at a game recently and that it was something to do with Radio Derby “politics”.

Fair enough - it might be exactly as others have suggested I just felt it was getting far too personal when people didn’t really know the facts.

10 hours ago, SSD said:

If Ed didn't moan about referees so much and focused on the match, I don't think he'd get half the stick.

Loves Derby, did everything he could to report the latest news in our darkest hour, even if it was bloody difficult to get anywhere with those useless administrators.

Hope you're doing well Ed 👍

Nothing against the bloke but, to be fair, wasn’t that his job at that time?

9 hours ago, duncanjwitham said:

I do wonder how much Graham Richards has coloured our opinions of how good local radio presenters actually are.  I grew up with Richards as effectively the voice of Derby County, and obviously no commentator since has really measured up.  But I think that’s a sign of how genuinely oddball and great he was, rather than a judgement on everyone else.  Local radio guys are local radio guys, and at best they’re learning their craft before they get promoted to national BBC or wherever and that’s fine.  Ed, and Dom, and Chris, and Owen, and Ross and whoever else we’ve had are all basically fine, they maybe weren’t the best commentators while they were at Radio Derby but they certainly weren’t the worst, and I have no doubt that they were all decent people who were doing their best, and they certainly don’t deserve some of the crap that gets sent their way.  The majority of them that have left seem to have gone on to bigger and better things, and I think that’s a sign that Radio Derby are getting something right somewhere, so best of luck to the next lot.

Is it nostalgia with Graham? His voice was iconic and I can still hear him in my head commentating but do we remember him so fondly because he was doing it during our last period of sustained success under Smith? I might be wrong I just wondered whether that’s part of the reason people hold such strong memories of him. I wonder if it’d be the same if he was instead just commentating on us scrapping around the 4th division with no ‘WANCHOPEEEE’ moments. 

Personal opinion is that Ed Dawes is exactly how I’d be as a commentator because I’m a fan and in the moment my head is often led by my heart/my emotions. 

Think he doesn’t deserve half the criticism he gets from here and actually bbc radio derby have managed to spoil us in terms of the quality we’ve had at local level. 

Again he was pushing for the hard answers and working behind the scenes to find out what was going wrong whilst many other fans were sucking up to Kirchner because we were desperate. He didn’t let that desperation stop him getting to the bottom of Kirchner’s bollox.