So who would we have then?

Gerry Daly

It's a shame that we didn't use the January transfer window last season. But for missing that opportunity, and then subsequently picking up injuries and getting increasingly leggy towards the end of the season, we'd have been a shoe-in for the playoffs. Whilst I don't think we were one of the top 3 sides in the division, anything can happen in the playoffs, so who knows what would have happened if we had made it. 

This year, it's an easier league. No Plymouth, no Ipswich, no Sheff Wed, and somehow we're making it look like we're playing the likes of Man City and Liverpool week in, week out. The points return is, I'd say, a perfect reflection of where we're at, middle of the road. Unless something changes, and that isn't necessarily a change of Manager, it could be a change of tactics, a change of luck, a change in the quality of the officiating in our games, that's likely where we'll end up finishing the season. If that happens, then by any definition I don't think we can really class that as progress. We have a number of players out of contract next summer, I hazard to think who we'll be looking to bring in to replace those who'll end up going. 

Seems to me that we have a number of round pegs that Warne is trying to bang into square holes. That ain't going to work. I'd just look at the players we have and build the system around them. Shouldn't be that way around, but for some reason we've recruited players not ideally suited to Warne's system, and given we can't really change the players until January at least, then we can only change the tactics in the short term. 

The prospect of playing mediocre teams at home and being respectful to the point of surrendering the impetus to them, I'm not a fan of. Most of the teams in this league are s***. Disrepect them. We should be taking most of them to the f****** cleaners, not trying to hang on to 1-0 leads as though we're in the World Cup final. 1) We're no good at that. 2) The best way of defending a lead is from the front. 3) See my previous comment about most of the teams in this league being s***.

Full disclosure, I've had more than a few tonight, and that seems to have magnified my aggravation. 

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

If that were true you'd think Clowes would be getting even more jittery. Find it very hard to believe though, just doesn't ring true from how Clowes is about Warne?

Hard to tell I think. I find Clowes quite difficult to read. I think he'll say all the right things about Warne up until the point that he pulls the trigger.

4 hours ago, CBRammette said:

What happened to all the chat online couple weeks ago suggesting Wayne was going to replace him? Assume just twitter rubbish?

It was if Eustace went to Rangers.

Wayne is not doing so well in the US.

Someone put it brilliantly on this forum the other day:  "Rooney wasn't a great manager but he was a great figurehead, at a time when we needed a figurehead more than a manager".

DCFC for quite some time have been just awful at picking the right manager for the job and it just goes on and on. Mel was throwing money around and obviously desperate to get the club in the PL, but never went for the obvious choice of Warnock who would have more or less granted Mel his wish. Clowes probably thought like this about  Warne, but it's proven to be not so straightforward. To be considering another change of manager already seems ridiculous. 

7 hours ago, NOTSA74 said:

Hard to tell I think. I find Clowes quite difficult to read. I think he'll say all the right things about Warne up until the point that he pulls the trigger.

Yes I agree, I think underneath the pleasant exterior lies a hard-nosed business man. Well I hope so anyway because that is what football clubs need nowadays.

The dream team for DCFC for me has always been Mac and Clough ( not saying its feasible ) but both like to play football one has a very good eye on spotting a player and the other has good tactical awareness 

Would never happen i know but those 2 would be worth a 4 year deal because they would have us playing some good football and Nigel knows how to work on a shoestring

realistically though Mark Warburton would be my choice as hes a good coach and tries to play football on the grass 

8 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I remain in the Mac or Wilder camps, if either would come. I hope Clowes has asked them the question. You always need to be prepared with a plan for succession. 

I doubt very much if Clowes has “asked them the question” just yet unless he is seriously considering pulling the trigger. My gut feeling is that he’s not quite at that stage. He might well have ideas in his head but I don’t think he’ll start having conversations yet. If he did, I’d expect the names you have mentioned to say something along the lines of ask me again when you’re serious about it. 

I don't even care anymore who we have as manager, It's starting to feel how I do about England. I've done enough "we need this guy, we need that guy" but in reality, no manager has done the business since George Burley/Billy Davies, with the closest ones being Mac 1 and Lampard, but we still fell at the final hurdle. 

I just want Derby to play good football and make strides towards attracting good players, because at the moment, we are a bog standard league 1 team and nothing more. I said last year I really hope we don't end up being another Sunderland, but judging by where we are at currently, that's exactly what we are. We'll be league 1 for another 2 seasons I reckon.

Edited by SK47