So who would we have then?

Gerry Daly

I,m a Warne fan as a person and don't want him sacked but.....forget the results for a moment ...lets see some ruddy football played because the last game was shambolic....If Warne doesn't want us to play football and just wants aimless crosses into the box at every oppurtunity I think it will wear thin, we don't control games anymore, Oxford played some neat stuff around us especially in midfield, and we are looking more and more like an average L1 side , I want us to play better football and control games more, that won't happen with the tactics we seem to be carrying out

I don't mind losing 2-1 if I think we are going in the right direction but like so many others I'm worried ....

I remember under Mac we went to Brighton on a midweek away game very near the end of the season and played them off of the park and controlled the game and lost, On the train I remember hearing Brighton fans say " how did we win that ? and Derby are a very good side and opened Brighton up time and time again but lost "

Defeats like that happen and we had such a good method of play and to think some criticised Mac for not always having a plan B lol...

There's a massive difference losing where you think, we'll be ok we are playing some great stuff than losing and not seeing anything encouraging like the Oxford game.

I want to see some better more controlled football starting against Fleetwood with 4 at the back and Waggy and Wash up top please , lets go back to basics please Mr Warne 

There must be plenty of young foreign coaches who would do well so I'd like to think the club didn't  restrict the search to managers who "know the division".  As someone said on page 1 - the next Thomas Frank.  

If we are just looking at English managers who would come maybe Warburton - just left a coaching position to look for a managers job so available, a manager with a record of working with a club to bring through youth, think he plays a more modern brand of football than Warne.  I'm not saying he'd be my definite choice but worth looking at.  

10 hours ago, David said:

Whilst there is no escaping it's been a poor start to the season, I can't believe we're here already *checks date* 17th August throwing replacement names into the hat.

Just feels wrong you know, with no reports suggesting there is any possible departure on the horizon.

3 league games into a season where he's had chance to bring his own players, is that where we're at now, 3 games and any patience completely evaporates?

Let's say Warne was sacked today, we then have 2 weeks to find a replacement and make any adjustments to the squad before the window closes.

Oh, and figure out compensation for a whopping contract. It just makes zero sense unless Warne has completely lost the dressing room, do we honestly believe he has? 

Or is it just a case of a half a new team trying to gel together and put Warne's plan into place on the pitch, in which case give the bloke some time and climb down off his back.

I see you're trying to be a voice of reason, but the start to this season follows on the back of last season's catastrophic implosion. And the seeming drift of the team, with no redeeming features in how we're playing. If last season (admittedly an outlier, but potentially part of a new trend) is our guide, soon promotion will be out of reach. Two defeats already. In the entirety of last season, Ipswich only lost 4, Wednesday 6 and Plymouth 7.

In terms of the thread, I would take the return of the Mac. 

I'd take Chris Wilder. 

I'm sure there are others. 

47 minutes ago, trappatoni said:

There must be plenty of young foreign coaches who would do well so I'd like to think the club didn't  restrict the search to managers who "know the division".  As someone said on page 1 - the next Thomas Frank.  

If we are just looking at English managers who would come maybe Warburton - just left a coaching position to look for a managers job so available, a manager with a record of working with a club to bring through youth, think he plays a more modern brand of football than Warne.  I'm not saying he'd be my definite choice but worth looking at.  

I would take Warburton in a heartbeat, he's a good coach and tries to play football, I know we'd never get him if Warne did leave but someone like Graham Potter , a manager who plays good football and wants to build something sustainable.

Sustainable being the objective so a young side who will develop and be coached the correct way and would be a seamless transition into the championship, I don't think the team we are building is anywhere near good enough for the championship so why not go with youth and talent that needs a bit of coaching and development , Managers, coaches like Warburton, Potter etc are exactly the right fit for this type of project but of course money might be the stumbling block but there must be plenty of managers out there who try and play decent stuff and who have an eye for young talent

Whilst I can appreciate where some of the comments around giving him the full season come from, at what point do you cut your losses?

No manager has a season that's unconditionally supported. There's always a break point. A lot of it has to do with morale of the squad and at a certain point it gets really difficult for the same manager to break a team out of it and it needs to change.

Like do you realistically think Warne can survive say being on 10pts at the 10 game mark? 

Do you retain him if it means losing the likes of Bird and Cashin with maybe a couple signings coming in at a similar quality that has been done this window so far?

At a certain point retaining becomes chasing a sunken cost.

20 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Whilst I can appreciate where some of the comments around giving him the full season come from, at what point do you cut your losses?

No manager has a season that's unconditionally supported. There's always a break point. A lot of it has to do with morale of the squad and at a certain point it gets really difficult for the same manager to break a team out of it and it needs to change.

Like do you realistically think Warne can survive say being on 10pts at the 10 game mark? 

Do you retain him if it means losing the likes of Bird and Cashin with maybe a couple signings coming in at a similar quality that has been done this window so far?

It takes around about 10 games to get an idea of where we're going. If it gets to that point and we're still shocking with barely any points then yes it's time to go. But in my opinion we're nowhere near that stage yet, despite the poor start.

35 minutes ago, secretsquirrel said:

Can’t understand the support forSimpson -a manager who was sacked byRochdale,Preston,Shrewsbury,and Stockport -

Think as PW has proven there’s no guarantees on appointing a manager. Despite their history.

Agreed that PS history is maybe weaker than a lot. But he’s a fan favourite so get the link.

5 hours ago, brady1993 said:

Before losing Bird and Cashin (and Sibs?) having seen the quality of Warne's signings is the breaking point. Watching his excuse for football and all our homegrown youngsters gone - too much, way too much to bare.

12 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I see you're trying to be a voice of reason, but the start to this season follows on the back of last season's catastrophic implosion. And the seeming drift of the team, with no redeeming features in how we're playing. If last season (admittedly an outlier, but potentially part of a new trend) is our guide, soon promotion will be out of reach. Two defeats already. In the entirety of last season, Ipswich only lost 4, Wednesday 6 and Plymouth 7.

In terms of the thread, I would take the return of the Mac. 

I'd take Chris Wilder. 

I'm sure there are others. 

Not trying to do anything, just how I feel about it all. As I said, he gets a clean slate for this season from him, others may and are taking last season into account, I'm choosing not to as this is the first season he's really had a chance to bring in the players he wants. 

I'm not really sure looking at this season a a clean slate really helps matters. You can't even factor our good run from last season and any of the positive performances into your thought processes, otherwise it's not really a clean slate?

If the starting point is when pre-season began and the transfer window opened, ignoring anything and everything about the season before that just brings into focus just how how messy things have got in 2-3 months.

Giving him the benefit of doubt, is probably more like it.

Edited by Kokosnuss

16 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

I'm not really sure looking at this season a a clean slate really helps matters. You can't even factor our good run from last season and any of the positive performances into your thought processes, otherwise it's not really a clean slate?

If the starting point is when pre-season began and the transfer window opened, ignoring anything and everything about the season before that just brings into focus just how how messy things have got in 2-3 months.

Giving him the benefit of doubt, is probably more like it.

I'm finding it hard to take a clean-slate approach when the performances (particularly Oxford and Blackpool) look *very* similar to a bunch of performances from last season (particularly those early Warne games against Port Vale and Exeter).  It's a similar bunch of players, in a similar system, struggling in the same ways and making the same types of mistakes.

I'm not taking a clean slate approach at all. Last season told us plenty about Warne at Derby County. But I am very much hoping our latest injuries force him into playing a system more suited to our squad and therefore with more chance of winning.

30 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I'm not taking a clean slate approach at all. Last season told us plenty about Warne at Derby County. But I am very much hoping our latest injuries force him into playing a system more suited to our squad and therefore with more chance of winning.

Spot on,let's hope he stumbles onto something that works

11 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Before losing Bird and Cashin (and Sibs?) having seen the quality of Warne's signings is the breaking point. Watching his excuse for football and all our homegrown youngsters gone - too much, way too much to bare.

Def a step too far