So who would we have then?

Gerry Daly

21 minutes ago, Anon said:

90% of the suggestions in this thread are ex Derby players/coaches. I understand why people like the idea, but we need to ditch this mindset. There's no evidence to suggest that people with previous connections to a club are any better suited to managerial/coaching roles than anyone else.

Warne must be given the season. I don't like what I'm currently seeing, but as a club we made the call to invest in him and sign the players he wanted. Constantly changing managers for years and having to sign a whole new set of players to suit them landed us in financial trouble. We should at least learn from the experience.

We aren't spending money like with Mel at the helm. Why shouldn't a good manager be able to adapt to a squad of players? Warne almost did just that - and now he's improving that squad isn't he?

13 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

Several people have said similar - that Warne has assembled some sort of a route 1 squad, or a squad suited to pressing and 3 at the back etc. I disagree. He has assembled an old squad by adding predominantly old players to a squad that was already old. I think our squad is better suited to playing a slower possession game - and certainly 4 at the back. I don't particularly fancy Darren Moore either. I think a short term appointment to get us organised and sort this mess out, somebody experienced. Dare I say Neil Warnock? I bet he would absolutely love to have one last stand at Derby      

Interesting points!

I must say though I’m not sure I see the point in this thread as not only is Warne still very much our manager but I get the impression there is absolutely no chance Clowes will be parting with him

9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

We aren't spending money like with Mel at the helm. Why shouldn't a good manager be able to adapt to a squad of players? Warne almost did just that - and now he's improving that squad isn't he?

We aren't spending big money at the moment. What the would the cost be if we paid off Warne, appointed a new manager and then allowed that manager to sign the players they felt they needed?

A good manager should be able to adapt to a squad. All to often at Derby they haven't been asked to. Mel Morris' philosophy was to back his new managers and spend whatever was necessary to tailor the squad to them.

It's too soon to say whether Warne is improving the squad. That's why I'm advocating for him to be given time. I completely understand why people have reservations about Warne though, given the performances of his "improvements" thus far.

We're not an attractive club - not even for Ian Evatt. Only attendances look good, and they will soon dwindle when the weather turns.

We appear to have a serious lack of ability in the squad and the better players want out. The only players queuing up to play for Derby will be non-league, but we've never managed to develop of good scouting system unless its for kids aged nine and under.

If there wasn't a transfer deadline Warne could be given the benefit of the doubt for a few months, but in two weeks time the door for new signings will be shut and he's not really given the fans any confidence with what he's brought in. So assume Cashin and Bird leave, were as good as done until January where we will be even less attractive than we already are.

Last season was a free hit. We couldn't sign anyone. But you'd have thought it would have given the club time to really address its problems and weaknesses. Instead we've developed them into something worse!

This is why teams get stuck in the lower divisions for years.

Least the away kit is nice.

Moore isn't my favourite choice either. But he took Wednesday up on 93 points, with the lowest budget that the club had in 10 years.

The narrative that he somehow bought promotion is absolutely false. His signings were freebies, same as ours. Offloaded high wages. Did a fantastic job all things considered, especially with that nutter of a chairman.

I've seen the argument here that anyone would have gone up with their budget. It's not a reflection of what actually happened, and makes us sound small time in comparison. It's the kind of thing the Accrington chairman would say.

1 hour ago, TomTom92 said:

Warnock’s with Huddersfield isn’t he? 

To be fair as a short term thing to steady the ship, he isn’t the worst choice. One year to see if he can poo house us up. If not appoint someone in the summer.

Warnock is clearly someone everyone hates, unless hes your manager and then hes guaranteed entertainment + results.

We've missed the boat with him on many occasions.

1 hour ago, Nuwtfly said:

Interesting points!

I must say though I’m not sure I see the point in this thread as not only is Warne still very much our manager but I get the impression there is absolutely no chance Clowes will be parting with him

Well the point of the thread is simply to see what people think, speculation is interesting. What I would say though is I don't think you have any evidence whatsoever for your impression as far as I can see. We have absolutely no idea what DC is going to do. Has he come out and said something supportive? No. I think if I was him and intended to see this purely as a rough patch and that we are in it for the long haul with Warne I would be inclined to say something. He will know the level of feeling, and it could probably do with dampening down. 

I don't recall many managers and teams are Derby getting booed actually during the match, let alone at half time/full time. In fact the only time I really remember it happening was Phil Brown and Stern John. I can remember boos breaking out after yet another inept sideways pass from Stephen Pearson that went straight into touch as well. It may have happened during Nigel Pearson's tenure I can't remember. But nor many other times and when it does happen the manager is in big, big trouble  

I would like to see us hire someone who would be a good fit for the football club, evidently someone with an understanding of the size and magnitude of expectation is critical and someone who has made a strong impression as a coach

Lee Carsley would be an obvious choice, but understand he's probably got higher aspirations than us at the moment - and rightly so. 

Dean Smith would be a pragmatic choice, think he would do a good job. Chris Wilder is a coach I've always admired, but don't feel like it would be a good fit. I would worry it would feel very similar to Warne. Moore is obviously a lot more pragmatic as a coach, he's a sensible short-term choice considering our squad but not sure he would be the long-term answer. 

Wildcard for me would be Ryan Mason at Spurs - even he might have higher aspirations to be honest. It's difficult to know who would be available to us. 

Anyway, needless to say: Frank Lampard and Jody Morris to run it back? I'd be 100% behind that! 

8 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I would like to see us hire someone who would be a good fit for the football club, evidently someone with an understanding of the size and magnitude of expectation is critical and someone who has made a strong impression as a coach

Lee Carsley would be an obvious choice, but understand he's probably got higher aspirations than us at the moment - and rightly so. 

Dean Smith would be a pragmatic choice, think he would do a good job. Chris Wilder is a coach I've always admired, but don't feel like it would be a good fit. I would worry it would feel very similar to Warne. Moore is obviously a lot more pragmatic as a coach, he's a sensible short-term choice considering our squad but not sure he would be the long-term answer. 

Wildcard for me would be Ryan Mason at Spurs - even he might have higher aspirations to be honest. It's difficult to know who would be available to us. 

Anyway, needless to say: Frank Lampard and Jody Morris to run it back? I'd be 100% behind that! 

The problem they face is Frank’s 13 wins from his last 55 games in charge and Jody’s 4 from his last 18. 

Whilst there is no escaping it's been a poor start to the season, I can't believe we're here already *checks date* 17th August throwing replacement names into the hat.

Just feels wrong you know, with no reports suggesting there is any possible departure on the horizon.

3 league games into a season where he's had chance to bring his own players, is that where we're at now, 3 games and any patience completely evaporates?

Let's say Warne was sacked today, we then have 2 weeks to find a replacement and make any adjustments to the squad before the window closes.

Oh, and figure out compensation for a whopping contract. It just makes zero sense unless Warne has completely lost the dressing room, do we honestly believe he has? 

Or is it just a case of a half a new team trying to gel together and put Warne's plan into place on the pitch, in which case give the bloke some time and climb down off his back.