Is Warne living on borrowed time?

5 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

I was one on this forum against having Warne as the Manager when Rosenior got elbowed out the door. I'm not going to state we could have done better with Liam, that we will never know. My biggest moan was forum members were all bleating on about his 3 promotions with Rotherham, but failed to mention the 2 relegations. They had a team that basically were good enough to compete at the top end of League one but got found out in the Championship.

Now that Warne's been a manager for approx 6 years and seems to have one style of play (3 at the back with wingbacks), it looks like other coaches know how to beat it. When Warne first took over at Derby, with the squad he inherited he could not play 3 CB's and played more often with 4 at the back. We shot up the league, looked odds on to finish easily in the top 4 positions. Then he tinkered with the team and we finished 7th.

I for one, was gobsmacked that he was appointed with a 4 year contract, getting rid now or later this season will cost the club (financially). I will still follow and support the team and hope we do get promotion come the end of the season, but this manager needs to have a plan B when his high press energy game with 3 CB's is'nt working in certain games.

Fair points. 

Clowes doesn’t strike me as a man who is in the business of sacking a manager with 3 years on his contract. He’s not a typical football owner and seems to have a good relationship with Warne, so this is definitely a thread very wide of the mark. Look, from the fans point of view, anything less than promotion this season is a sackable offense and so it should be - I’m just not sure Clowes will be the one that instigates it. I feel there will be an amicable parting of ways at the end of the season if the club are still a League One side. 

Unless there is a good system in place at this club, it likely gets relegated from the Championship anyway. We have the benefit of having the biggest budget in the league at this level this season, but it would be one of the smallest in the championship. 

Just now, Loughborough Ram said:

Personally, I don't think that sacking Warne is the answer.

This is his team and out of the four goals conceded we have gifted three of them to the opposition. He can't control individual mistakes. Two of them were from two players that almost our entire fan base was delighted to have signed.

If there is no improvement after a dozen or so games then David Clowes has a decision to make, but right now is a time for patience.

The goals didn't come out of the blue. In the last 2 games, we have survived three 1 on 1s.  Other than Wigan's second, the goals weren't against the run of play.

Does anyone else not really bother listening to manager's interviews or it is just me? I think I've only heard Warne's voice about twice.

I know this is sacrilegious in modern football. I also don't really follow transfer gossip either. Give it a try if you find yourself worrying more about manager interviews more than the football.

4 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Does anyone else not really bother listening to manager's interviews or it is just me? I think I've only heard Warne's voice about twice.

I know this is sacrilegious in modern football. I also don't really follow transfer gossip either. Give it a try if you find yourself worrying more about manager interviews more than the football.

Me too

10 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Clowes doesn’t strike me as a man who is in the business of sacking a manager with 3 years on his contract. He’s not a typical football owner and seems to have a good relationship with Warne, so this is definitely a thread very wide of the mark. Look, from the fans point of view, anything less than promotion this season is a sackable offense and so it should be - I’m just not sure Clowes will be the one that instigates it. I feel there will be an amicable parting of ways at the end of the season if the club are still a League One side. 

Unless there is a good system in place at this club, it likely gets relegated from the Championship anyway. We have the benefit of having the biggest budget in the league at this level this season, but it would be one of the smallest in the championship. 

Yes, it would be the best for the club if we fail to get promotion that Warne and his coaching staff just sever their contracts and walk away.

1 hour ago, NottsRam77 said:

I think ur right

i think we should get rid of him after brining in 8 players that have now 2 competitive games together and restart the mel morris merry go round of manager a season a see if we cant get even closer to going out of business by stock piling old managers players and brining in a whole brand new shiny bunch we can boo at after only 3-4 games 🤦🤷

Thanks...finally someone has seen the light 

3 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I very much doubt sacking PW is anywhere near the front of Clowes mind at the moment. On the other hand, if we have a disastrous autumn (I mean really bad. Not just only being just outside the play offs) it might well be something he'll think about.

I also don’t think failing to get us promoted this season should automatically be a sackable offence. It all depends on the nature of that failure. Reaching the play offs and missing out (especially in the final) would be enormously disappointing but not a reason to sack him (IMO). Finishing in the bottom half of the table though could be a different matter.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Coming out and saying this seems worrying

Why have they? You won't be holding them hostage then? How many?

I'm pro Warne but this is a massive mistake. If he means Bird and Cashin (and who else could he mean?) they were our two best players tonight and were completely committed to the course. The problem was with the players Warne has signed, most notability Wilson who did a very credible impression of a rabbit in the headlights.

No. Early days.

Opening day is always a lottery, most teams come out of the first 3 or 4 games with mixed results

A weakened/unfit/reserve team underperformed in the cup

Everybody is psyched up because of pre-season comments about promotion so it seems worse, plus the fact these games were at home

Transfer window is still open, and we're still chasing 2-3 players so its not a finished squad

Warne knows how to get out of this division. Once players have gelled with each other and the system, and are playing with a target man (who may still be Collins) we can properly become his team and get playing as he thinks can get us out of here.

Signings don't look great so far but are we really judging by just a competitive game or so on the pitch, if almost all your team is underperforming, it must be hard to have your best game.

I will say though that after the hyperbole about being leaders, standing up and being counted, and driving the team on, that was was seriously lacking tonight

21 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I must have missed an interview somewhere, has someone got the link?

In the one I've listened to he said several times that he is just as much, if not more, responsible.

I heard him say the players and the coaching staff need to take responsibility which is true. I didn't hear anyone, specifically named or not, being hung out to dry. 

I don't know what industry you have worked in but unless it's one where your manager is interviews immediately after, and asked to commenf on, a poor team performance and result then I'm not sure it really compares. 

As I say, maybe there's another interview knocking around.

Was just thinking the same thing. Lots of posters on here obviously with first hand experience of been in a profesional sports team by the sound of it. They know exactly what the manager should and shouldn't do. 

Were football fans always such drama queens or is a modern disease. Were people sending notes on pigeons calling for Clough (Brian) out after a few games? Were people faxing Radio Derby after we were thrashed vs Tranmere under the Bald Eagle?

Does anyone remember a recent owner who kept sacking managers?

I just don't understand this mentality. We already have fans calling for the manager to go 2 games into a season, and no doubt if it happened many of those fans would be giving it the whole 'the Derby County circus is back in town.'

As I've said before, people talk about how difficult it is being lower down the league system and how it's not going to be easy to get back to where we were but I'm increasingly inclined to say they don't actually believe that deep down. It's just something they think and say at surface level - in reality they expect us to waltz the league.

2 minutes ago, strawhillram said:

I’m hoping there isn’t a knee jerk reaction and Brent brings in more journeymen to fight the fire. He seems to lack vision and has no idea on how to beat semi decent teams who have (better) tactics and a game plan

The Brent joke you keep making isn't landing. Repeating it over more threads doesn't make it more funny. Change the record. 

17 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

You can't have a big club like Derby having a 4 year project wating to get out League One. The crowds will drop and lose heart if we have to spend next season in the same League.

Ignoring Warne as the manager for the moment, or if Rosenior had stayed, or if Stevie Mac got the band back together or whatever managerial circumstance. I’ve always been accepting of the fact it could take a while to get out of this league, the club was left in a horrific state and the rebuild is ongoing, there were never any guarantees of promotion at the first, second or even third attempt. Maybe it’s easier for me to say as I’m an armchair fan due to geography and that, but I’ve long accepted the next few years may not be a smooth ride regardless of who the manager was or is. 
As for the original post, I don’t think Warne is on borrowed time as yet. It’s clear the fans more opposed to Warne are becoming more vocal and emboldened in their stance, and some more neutral fans are starting to question the project more, I get the impression from what’s been said in his interviews that Clowes will stick to his guns more than some fans will.