Is Warne living on borrowed time?

9 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Coming out and saying this seems worrying

Why have they? You won't be holding them hostage then? How many?

If their heads have been turned they must be unhappy with where they are ? That's the worrying bit for me , perhaps the style of football? perhaps the fitness regime ? perhaps the cultural environment?

1 minute ago, Tamworthram said:

Well don’t.

Whether we all like it or not, I think there is zero chance of Warne being sacked (or leaving by mutual consent or whatever it’s labelled) for at the very least the next three months unless we happen to lose pretty much every game in that time.

I’m not particularly happy about Saturday’s game (fortunately I didn’t go last night) but it’s way too early to talking about changing managers.

I’m not saying we’ll do the same or suggesting the circumstances are the same (I don’t know how similar they are) but I did remind folk on another thread about Plymouth’s start to last season. Lost their first league game, then lost at home to a relegated Championship team in the EFL cup, only picked up 3 points from their first three league games and their third game was a 5:1 hammering at Charlton (albeit they did have a player sent off when it was only 1:0).

What do you mean “well don’t” it’s a forum, the whole point is to make comments and I’ll continue to do so. Up until I say something that goes against the forum rules I have as much right to my comments as you do.

You really want to give three months? By that time the season could be gone.

I want Warms to succeed but his comments last night gave me the impression of someone that is completely out of his depth. Yes, he’s managed and been successful in this league before but he’s never done it at a club with such a large fan base and with such a level of expectation.

What also concerned me from the little I saw or last night is the same issue that happened on Saturday, a massive defensive gap which any half decent team will exploit, happened again.

I don’t care what formation he picks, I care how he chooses to apply it and so far, all be it from two games, but t hasn’t been impressive at all and the problems are blatantly obvious.

I have watched his after match interview and to be honest I don’t think he wants to be here. He says a lot of things were wrong in terms of how we played, which begs the question around pre-season.

Why haven’t we utilised the premier league loan market? We should have two exciting young talents with us for the season. Yes, I know we may have tried and failed but I doubt it.

It seems Warne has one way of playing and one formation. If that doesn’t work then he doesn’t know what to do.

Liam Rosenior wasn’t right for us, we gave him a chance out of loyalty, and neither is Warne. This is my opinion only. There is a chance Warne is gone by the end of September and by Christmas he will be back at Rotherham.

21 minutes ago, 8Leeds said:

Chris Wilder and Dean Smith are free at the minute. Just saying

I don’t think there’s any real chance we could afford the demands managers like that would want.

If we did end up changing manager, which I don’t think we will, then Darren Moore would be the nailed on favourite in my opinion.

1 minute ago, Kernow said:

I don’t think there’s any real chance we could afford the demands managers like that would want.

If we did end up changing manager, which I don’t think we will, then Darren Moore would be the nailed on favourite in my opinion.

You’re probably right. Though the idea of Wilder with this squad is intriguing.

Don’t know what the big deal is? Birds played like he’s downed tools ever since he broke into the team? 
Can someone tell me what he does on a football pitch for saying he’s a “footballer”?
I thought a footballer could tackle, create chances and score goals and he does neither and never has? Can’t run on top of that 

4 minutes ago, Mick Brolly said:

If you take our last one game we'd be on zero points that would put us bottom 

Ps other pointless stats are available 

Judging on 1 game is pointless. A 20 game run tells a different story. Very few managers chasing promotion will survive spells matching half a season with (almost) relegation form.

His overall record with us isn't too bad. Last night means his ppg record in now in between Lampard and Mac2, and a win record a fraction better than Clement.

9 minutes ago, Shuff264 said:

Just to give another angle to this, if you take our last 20 games in all competitions our record is:

6 wins, 5 draws, 9 losses.

That would be 23pts, which after 20 games last season would have us 18th.

True but I don’t see why you should include cup games when trying extrapolate league position. Also, 20 games is a rather convenient cut off as that starts when our good run ended. If you look at the last 25 league games it’s won 12, drew 5 and lost 8. Our last 8 was W3, D3 and L2. 

What I’m trying to say is that the line can be drawn at different places in order to prove different points. None of the examples are anywhere near where we want to be (or think we should be) but there are two above that don’t paint quite such a bleak picture as you’ve called out.

I think that was a horrendous error suggesting players have had their heads turned. Max Bird is a Derby lad and loves the club and most commentators think he’s capable of playing at a higher level. Notwithstanding he’s still with us and I don’t for a minute believe that he’s not trying or his mind is not in the game. He strikes me a a consummate professional.

I suspect that since Max is such a laid back character he will not have an issue with what Paul Warne has said. However, tbh, if it was me, I would be giving him both barrels if he’d said that about me and my character. A low trick and very very disappointing. If anything is going to make a player turn his head it’s this kind of behaviour from his manager. I just hope Warne apologises to the player and they can all move forward. 

Edited by Malty

9 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Apparently he then went on to say (something like) he might have been 'uber paranoid'. WTF this is all about him not us/Derby.

Phobia of a taxi ? 
Dreadful performance last night, but we are still 3-4 players short. Can’t be judged until we have a full squad unfortunately.

Just now, 8Leeds said:

You’re probably right. Though the idea of Wilder with this squad is intriguing.

Wilder is off the back of a failed job. With a club like Derby in League One, there’s only one real way you don’t fail, given our current restrictions that’s a big risk for someone.

If you look at the other clubs around our size to get “stuck” here for multiple seasons, Ipswich had Paul Lambert then Paul Cook. One hasn’t managed since, the other is in the National League.

Sunderland had Phil Parkinson and Lee Johnson. One dropped into the National League and the other is in Scotland.

It’s not an easy job and it risks hindering the progress of a manager’s career if they don’t succeed.

1 minute ago, McMuffin said:

Don’t know what the big deal is? Birds played like he’s downed tools ever since he broke into the team? 
Can someone tell me what he does on a football pitch for saying he’s a “footballer”?
I thought a footballer could tackle, create chances and score goals and he does neither and never has? Can’t run on top of that 

He holds his position, receives and makes passes. He’s a ‘tidy’’ footballer.

The issue we have is he is one of three pretty similar midfielders and that doesn’t work.

1 minute ago, Tamworthram said:

True but I don’t see why you should include cup games when trying extrapolate league position. Also, 20 games is a rather convenient cut off as that starts when our good run ended. If you look at the last 25 league games it’s won 12, drew 5 and lost 8. Our last 8 was W3, D3 and L2. 

What I’m trying to say is that the line can be drawn at different places in order to prove different points. None of the examples are anywhere near where we want to be (or think we should be) but there are two above that don’t paint quite such a bleak picture as you’ve called out.

Thats fair, and my own bias probably led me to draw the line where I did, but still pains a grim picture.

I included cup games as it was only the game last night, which felt relevant against as promotion rival.

5 minutes ago, McMuffin said:

Declan Rice doesn’t score goals and seldom creates any. I don’t think he tackles that often either. Does that mean he’s not a footballer either?

The problem is that Max is a CDM and we have two other CDMs in the same team. Take out hourihane and Smith and play a couple of players who are more comfortable going forward and have bags of energy and Max will look a different (much better) player.

6 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Judging on 1 game is pointless. A 20 game run tells a different story. Very few managers chasing promotion will survive spells matching half a season with (almost) relegation form.

His overall record with us isn't too bad. Last night means his ppg record in now in between Lampard and Mac2, and a win record a fraction better than Clement.

This was broadly my point, yes its only 2 games into the season but Warne has managed us for 46 now.

We cant afford to start slowly either, after 20 games last season the final top 6 were all inside the top 8.

16 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

I can't believe the over reaction to the interview. Especially from some posters who I normally agree with.

He called a few players out. Said they looked disinterested, head turned etc. A lot of the usual suspects would be moaning if he ran out the usual platitudes about 'unlucky, we go again Sat'.

I'm sure in the dressing room, on the training ground this week etc he will be working his way round them, getting them in the right frame of mind for Sat.

Two disappointing performances is a bit of a worry. Him pointing it out isn't an issue for me.  Obviously a lot of people disagree but he knows how the players will react and will live and die by that which I'd prefer to him just accepting poor performances and glossing over them. He took his own responsibility  and drew attention to how poor it all was - not sure why anyone would be opposed to that.

Did you go to the game?

The combination of watching that and then listening to his interview is what caused such a reaction in even sensible posters.

8 hours ago, i-Ram said:

There is a big, big difference to giving players critiques/bollockings behind a closed door of a changing room, and questioning their commitment publicly on a BBC Radio station.

Agree, but He would have done it from the city centre with a megaphone if we had been good enough for people to care 😂

27 minutes ago, 8Leeds said:

Wilder didn’t have a war chest to spend and Sheffield United when he got them out of league 1.

Yes, managers fail but both mentioned have also built reputation through previous achievements. 

Wilder plays a style and formation that would suit the current squad which is why I’ve mentioned his name. 

Spent money at Boro took them from top 6 contenders to fighting down the bottom, went in at Watford temporarily and did nothing although hard to hold that against him. He’s not the manager now he was at Sheff U.