Is Warne living on borrowed time?

6 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Sounds like me May. Have. To. Find. The. Money.

Sounds like he has lost the plot and/or dressing room to me.

Hey, don't listen to me, ask Max Bird, Derbys number 8, how he feels about Warne??

That's not how these financial business plans work. You'll be the first to moan if we sack Warne that we don't sign anyone in January as we used all of our remaining funds up. 

Max Bird hasn't said anything about Warne that would indicate any issues, unless you claim to know differently? 

7 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

Its called taking responsibility 

hes the first one to blow smoke up their arses and lavish praise on them publicy and he then reserves the right to bring them down a peg or two

i played for a former forest youth team coach back in the day. 
he was one of brian cloughs right hand men… end of every game he would sit us in the dressing room and go round the room. He would critique us all infront of our team mates.

if u got a bollocking u got a bollocking .. hed make u feel like a mouse infront of all ur mates but if u got praised hed make u feel like a god amongst men

to this day 30 years on .. i would run through brick f****** walls for him every day of the week

its about character and what u choose to be 

Agree with the sentiment but not everyone is the same. Obviously that style worked for you (it works for me - I'm a direct person) but it might not work for the next man. Personally, I think there's only any point in saying things like that if good comes from it. I'm struggling to see (but happy to be proven wrong) what good could come from saying some players have had their head turned. 

It suggests disloyalty and if it wasn't said deliberately then it's probably a bad move. If it was the plan and he wants whoever it was aimed at to 'have it out' then fair enough but it feels a rash move to say it publicly. Feels like it could have been said in the changing room amongst the people it directly impacts.

I hasten to add, give PW a chance chaps. 

Edited by Raich Carter

What can we realistically do though? If we binned him off and his coaching staff, we will more than likely will end up in the financial black hole of doom and having to promote Bucko as manager (love Bucko but he clearly demonstrated he wasn't ready to manage Burton). 

As much as I really don't like Warne's way of playing football and his current lack of ability to defeat our rivals in our division, we need to stick with it and show support, even if like me it will feel infuriating to watch. We can't go back to sacking managers left right and centre. Warne knows the score, if we don't win promotion then he'll be out of the door. As long as we're not in a relegation battle, I believe he'll end up staying around this season. This is why I'm trying to stay level headed.

4 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

Oh my god,,,,,Really? How many times do reactionary fans go on a rant every time we lose a game.

Isn't it the constant changing of management that is partly to blame for the situation we ended up in?

He is building HIS team, never going to click immediately for gods sake give him time

They do but its their view and I ignore them. It is partly to blame. He is but I am concerned for the first time tonight based on the interviews particularly as Paul looked really done in as I think he really does care so much and take it to heart and the comments on the match thread from posters who were there and who are the opposite of reactionary. I hope PW can regroup and turn things around as I like him and there are many examples of fans calling for managers heads to be proved wrong. There is one down the road who was odds on favourite to be sacked last season who kept them up as well as the bile Arteta got early on. To me the worrying thing is what has happened from the optimism pre-season inc from bookies to get to PW's seeming despair last night?  Its some shift 

8 hours ago, plymouthram said:

I was one on this forum against having Warne as the Manager when Rosenior got elbowed out the door. I'm not going to state we could have done better with Liam, that we will never know. My biggest moan was forum members were all bleating on about his 3 promotions with Rotherham, but failed to mention the 2 relegations. They had a team that basically were good enough to compete at the top end of League one but got found out in the Championship.

Now that Warne's been a manager for approx 6 years and seems to have one style of play (3 at the back with wingbacks), it looks like other coaches know how to beat it. When Warne first took over at Derby, with the squad he inherited he could not play 3 CB's and played more often with 4 at the back. We shot up the league, looked odds on to finish easily in the top 4 positions. Then he tinkered with the team and we finished 7th.

I for one, was gobsmacked that he was appointed with a 4 year contract, getting rid now or later this season will cost the club (financially). I will still follow and support the team and hope we do get promotion come the end of the season, but this manager needs to have a plan B when his high press energy game with 3 CB's is'nt working in certain games.

That’s never going to happen; Paul Warne is the definition of a one trick pony.

8 hours ago, LittleEatonRam said:

Plus Barnsley, Charlton, Preston, Millwall, Southampton and Hull were all beaten by lower league opposition tonight (the latter by Donny despite being managed by the idolised Liam Rosenior). 

Wonder if their fans are all having nervous breakdowns as well?

Probably not because the majority of them (Hull aside) had excellent opening day results in the league against decent opposition and didn’t need a cup win to try and raise their fans spirits.

4 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Who would want a war chest to spend and have failed spectacularly in their most recent jobs. 

Wilder didn’t have a war chest to spend and Sheffield United when he got them out of league 1.

Yes, managers fail but both mentioned have also built reputation through previous achievements. 

Wilder plays a style and formation that would suit the current squad which is why I’ve mentioned his name. 

Edited by 8Leeds

26 minutes ago, Kernow said:

At least the third attempt at a reactionary thread last night took off.

I understand the concern behind threads like this (and the other ones!) because we have been pretty ordinary for a while (not just this season) and nothing in the noise coming out of the pre-season camp prepared us for how ordinary we’ve been early doors - even the frustration over incomings, which Warne referred to several times.

That said, has anyone bothered starting a thread entitled (pun intended): “Are Rams fans the most entitled supporters in League 1 and if so why?”

I’m interested in how much of it is down to factors like our club history… size of fanbase… or even the calibre of players we’re currently deemed to have… or something else? I do wonder sometimes how things might have been if we’d had to limp through last year with similar restrictions on our playing staff to the year before - perhaps a relegation battle in League 1, and maybe the same fans’ spirit as when we were all up against it together in the Championship, grateful for any point and every effort from the players (which is not to say we’ve seen the same effort necessarily over the last season-and-a-bit!)

It feels like a sizeable proportion of our fanbase simply can’t tolerate a false start like this one, and have to fit it to a narrative in which we are doomed to certain failure unless we change everything immediately. We may well be heading for that failure, but would any other League 1 team’s fans react in this way? Or is it partially an illusion of social media (we’re really only a small subset of all DCFC fans)?

What makes us “special”?

2 minutes ago, 8Leeds said:

Chris Wilder jd Dean Smith are free at the minute. Just saying

Well don’t.

Whether we all like it or not, I think there is zero chance of Warne being sacked (or leaving by mutual consent or whatever it’s labelled) for at the very least the next three months unless we happen to lose pretty much every game in that time.

I’m not particularly happy about Saturday’s game (fortunately I didn’t go last night) but it’s way too early to talking about changing managers.

I’m not saying we’ll do the same or suggesting the circumstances are the same (I don’t know how similar they are) but I did remind folk on another thread about Plymouth’s start to last season. Lost their first league game, then lost at home to a relegated Championship team in the EFL cup, only picked up 3 points from their first three league games and their third game was a 5:1 hammering at Charlton (albeit they did have a player sent off when it was only 1:0).

8 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

To be fair, I wasn’t expecting him to be sacked for at least another few months. But that after match interview, wow. He genuinely might have lost the dressing room.

Who we bringing in next then who have you got in mind 

2 minutes ago, Shuff264 said:

Just to give another angle to this, if you take our last 20 games in all competitions our record is:

6 wins, 5 draws, 9 losses.

That would be 23pts, which after 20 games last season would have us 18th.

If you take our last one game we'd be on zero points that would put us bottom 

Ps other pointless stats are available 

I can't believe the over reaction to the interview. Especially from some posters who I normally agree with.

He called a few players out. Said they looked disinterested, head turned etc. A lot of the usual suspects would be moaning if he ran out the usual platitudes about 'unlucky, we go again Sat'.

I'm sure in the dressing room, on the training ground this week etc he will be working his way round them, getting them in the right frame of mind for Sat.

Two disappointing performances is a bit of a worry. Him pointing it out isn't an issue for me.  Obviously a lot of people disagree but he knows how the players will react and will live and die by that which I'd prefer to him just accepting poor performances and glossing over them. He took his own responsibility  and drew attention to how poor it all was - not sure why anyone would be opposed to that.

Saw a post earlier in the thread saying '3 of the 4 goals were individual mistakes' which is true but its the reasons behind why the players are making such elementary errors that needs worming out whether that's just a lack of match sharpness due to inadequate games pre season or something dressing room related but equally no fan looks at the table after a poor season conceding 75 goals say and goes 'yeah but 55 of those were mistakes so actually we finished 2nd'. Whatever the reason, the team is clearly lacking in certain areas severely and if there are questions over desire and/or character too, that doesn't bode well 2 games or 30 games into a season