Is Warne living on borrowed time?

2 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Wilder is off the back of a failed job. With a club like Derby in League One, there’s only one real way you don’t fail, given our current restrictions that’s a big risk for someone.

If you look at the other clubs around our size to get “stuck” here for multiple seasons, Ipswich had Paul Lambert then Paul Cook. One hasn’t managed since, the other is in the National League.

Sunderland had Phil Parkinson and Lee Johnson. One dropped into the National League and the other is in Scotland.

It’s not an easy job and it risks hindering the progress of a manager’s career if they don’t succeed.

I get that it’s a difficult situation to put yourself in but Wilders had a couple success denting jobs recently and a job like this could be a way to polish his name again if it works (if it doesn’t he’ll be a York City next 😂). He’s never going to come here and we probably couldn’t afford him but I’d love to see what he’d do with with squad.

9 minutes ago, 8Leeds said:

What do you mean “well don’t” it’s a forum, the whole point is to make comments and I’ll continue to do so. Up until I say something that goes against the forum rules I have as much right to my comments as you do.

You really want to give three months? By that time the season could be gone.

I want Warms to succeed but his comments last night gave me the impression of someone that is completely out of his depth. Yes, he’s managed and been successful in this league before but he’s never done it at a club with such a large fan base and with such a level of expectation.

What also concerned me from the little I saw or last night is the same issue that happened on Saturday, a massive defensive gap which any half decent team will exploit, happened again.

I don’t care what formation he picks, I care how he chooses to apply it and so far, all be it from two games, but t hasn’t been impressive at all and the problems are blatantly obvious.

I don’t think we should be talking about alternative managers quite yet.

Of course I don’t want to give away three months. I’m just saying most sane people (IMO) think he needs to be given a reasonable period of time this season before sacking him. I accept and understand many will point out that he was also here most of last season as well and we failed to even get into the play offs. This was obviously a big disappointment but it’s not as if we missed it by a mile and finished mid table or below. This season needs to build on last with definite progress in terms of our league position and whilst I’m concerned about what I saw on Saturday (and have heard about last night), it’s too early to panic and look at changing our manager again.

Regarding comparing us to Rotherham, yes we are a bigger club by pretty much every measure but, in league one, we both had/have the same objectives - get out of it ASAP.

1 minute ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Spent money at Boro took them from top 6 contenders to fighting down the bottom, went in at Watford temporarily and did nothing although hard to hold that against him. He’s not the manager now he was at Sheff U. 

He’s still the same manager, he just doesn’t have the same reputation. 

He spent very little in his first season at Sheff U, spent reasonable amount the next year after promotion and didn’t break the bank in the first year of the Prem. 

7 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Rather accurate though, not sure who you think you are, but if he wishes to repeat it, over more and more threads, he is more than welcome.

He has my permission to carry on playing the same record.

Would someone please explain the "Brent" joke to me as I've lived in the Netherlands since 1984 and have no idea what it is... thanks in advance...

8 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

A badly managed workforce is far more likely to make personal mistakes than a well managed one. However, yes, some mistakes are inevitable no matter what.

What matters then, is whether you've managed your team well enough that an individual mistake from one of your workforce doesn't totally undermine the solid work done by others.

If you've built & managed your team well and everyone understands and is suited to their roles, one worker's mistake can easily be covered for, and your operation will continue to run smoothly, despite this hiccup.

If you've just thrown a workforce together with little thought for their individual skills, and managed them poorly to the point where nobody really knows what they're supposed to do or what they're supposed to do doesn't suit their skills, then that individual mistake is far harder to recover from and productivity will grind to a halt. That's where we are under Warne right now.

Wow, what a load of corporate speak.

Of course the workforce has been thrown together, that's the nature of a new season. Hopefully after a few more games, individual mistake will be covered, but for now, they are the difference between a slow start and a terrible start.

1 minute ago, Shuff264 said:

This was broadly my point, yes its only 2 games into the season but Warne has managed us for 46 now.

We cant afford to start slowly either, after 20 games last season the final top 6 were all inside the top 8.

Results seem to ebb and flow.

First 7 - 1 ppg

Next 18 - 2.22 ppg

Next 13 - 1.08 ppg

Next 6 - 2 ppg

Last 3 - 0 ppg

5 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Would someone please explain the "Brent" joke to me as I've lived in the Netherlands since 1984 and have no idea what it is... thanks in advance...

Ricky Gervais’ character in the office is a hapless manager who believes he’s better than he is and makes terrible jokes that never land. He thinks his staff all like him, they don’t. 
Some people are drawing that comparison to Warne. 

32 minutes ago, bucktwo said:

If their heads have been turned they must be unhappy with where they are ? That's the worrying bit for me , perhaps the style of football? perhaps the fitness regime ? perhaps the cultural environment?

It seemed from the RD interview, listened to by the OH, that the players are confused by what the staff are asking of them? I can't bring myself to listen to so much waffle atm - one of Warne's problems is not his honesty but his inability to keep his mouth shut! Being honest doesn't mean saying everything!

3 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Ricky Gervais’ character in the office is a hapless manager who believes he’s better than he is and makes terrible jokes that never land. He thinks his staff all like him, they don’t. 
Some people are drawing that comparison to Warne. 

Good summary and I think it goes even further than that: even the delivery of certain lines is sometimes unerringly similar!

26 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

Phobia of a taxi ? 
Dreadful performance last night, but we are still 3-4 players short. Can’t be judged until we have a full squad unfortunately.

Oh please, the Sky Sports News clip of their first goal showed more of the build up to the goal, defenders were all over the place - at the time I said I'd never seen defending like it! We've got a full defence, but still they can't do what Warne wants, can he not get that?

1 minute ago, jameso said:

Good summary and I think it goes even further than that: even the delivery of certain lines is sometimes unerringly similar!

I mean, I’m not of that opinion, but can see why some are. As I’ve said elsewhere, I don’t think any conversation about his strengths and weaknesses professionally needs to boil down to personal comment. 
I’m also aware that my voice is quieter in the room currently so am happy to leave those with louder concerns than mine to voice them. 

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Oh please, the Sky Sports News clip of their first goal showed more of the build up to the goal, defenders were all over the place - at the time I said I'd never seen defending like it! We've got a full defence, but still they can't do what Warne wants, can he not get that?

And 4 of the 5 defenders (5/6 if you include Vickers) were Warne signings this season.

Warne's out of his depth here. This isn't Rotherham mate, we are a bunch of self-entitled babies who are used to winning every single game we ever play. He's not used to playing in front of 30k people grumbling and going quiet because we conceeded.

Why aren't we spending loads of money and continuously changing managers. It's a proven formula.

Just now, ariotofmyown said:

Warne's out of his depth here. This isn't Rotherham mate, we are a bunch of self-entitled babies who are used to winning every single game we ever play. He's not used to playing in front of 30k people grumbling and going quiet because we conceeded.

Why aren't we spending loads of money and continuously changing managers. It's a proven formula.

We are spending lots of money - we have a good budget.

Im not saying we will, but if things dont improve massively from last night we could quite easily lose our next 4 games, they're all tough, and then I just don't see any way that Warne stays, id like to be proven wrong but I'm just going off what I saw last night 

28 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

He holds his position, receives and makes passes. He’s a ‘tidy’’ footballer.

The issue we have is he is one of three pretty similar midfielders and that doesn’t work.

Agreed last night he was looking to find space but often was then not given the ball as we went wide with everything. Yes he got knocked off the ball once or twice but so did everyone first half they looked hungrier fitter and had easily sided our style of play. Bird was not at fault for this and once Fozzy, Thompson and Ward came on then their willingness to move and get involved helped Bird.

I unashamedly love Fozzy and if we could clone him so he played wing back and centre back (and as a target man up front) then all would be well!