Max Bird

FlyBritishMidland

2 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I too think it is good for his footballing education to have played under Warne, and he will have learnt something from him and his style of play, and similarly from his time with Lampard (brief) and Rooney too. I think Bird looks at his best and is more effective though when playing in a more controlled passing way that Wassall, Cocu and Rosenior offered.

Is another year of Warne going to help his development - no.  The way we have either had to play or chose to play over the last 2 seasons has not played to his strengths. Is another year with Warne going to help Derby - yes. Good player, and it seems to me a fine, committed young man.

He will end up playing somewhere higher than Derby and Hull, and higher than Knight, in the football pyramid.

Higher than where we are now. I agree that he is our best player. in pre-season, this has been by a country mile.  

17 minutes ago, ramboy63 said:

If he goes it will be 100% wages,if you believe what is reported at present he is on 7K a week,Hull are reportedly offering £20-25K a week

Agree with you that Hull is no more than a mid table team and you can say the same in Knight going to Bristol,but its a stepping stone up as it stands and we have no right to think we will get promoted this season in the first place

Even if we do offer a extension to his deal i doubt we can anywhere close to what being put on the table at Hull

I'd find it unlikely a league 1 player with no other offers and a year on his contract would be offered that level of salary to be honest.  It doesn't really matter what he's offered anyway unless they pay a bigger fee to the club regardless.  If he wants to leave tell him he can have parity on his wages at his new club and we'll have the difference if that was the case. Put another 1.5 million on the fee.  We pander to players leaving like we have no choice.  Need to stop that b*******.

For me, there's little doubt that of those who remain from last season, Max is by some way the most technically accomplished. And many of us fans have long suggested that he looks better higher up the pitch. With a very solid looking defence now in place, it appears that's precisely how PW is planning on playing the lad and I honestly think Max is looking sharper than at this stage in any season I can recall. 

As for the transfer speculation, if there's even an ounce of truth to the Hull bid rumour, then Max won't be going there. They are not suddenly going to find an extra £2.5m +++ and more importantly, if Warne is to meet expectations this season, he has to ensure Max stays. 

A final thought would be that it's worth remembering that Max loves this club and has always been rock solid in his aim to be successful right here, at Derby. I'm probably kidding myself (as I'd hate the alternative), but my hunch is that he'll extend but with an escape clause that's fair to both parties, should we fail to secure promotion again this season. 

3 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

For me, there's little doubt that of those who remain from last season, Max is by some way the most technically accomplished. And many of us fans have long suggested that he looks better higher up the pitch. With a very solid looking defence now in place, it appears that's precisely how PW is planning on playing the lad and I honestly think Max is looking sharper than at this stage in any season I can recall. 

As for the transfer speculation, if there's even an ounce of truth to the Hull bid rumour, then Max won't be going there. They are not suddenly going to find an extra £2.5m +++ and more importantly, if Warne is to meet expectations this season, he has to ensure Max stays. 

A final thought would be that it's worth remembering that Max loves this club and has always been rock solid in his aim to be successful right here, at Derby. I'm probably kidding myself (as I'd hate the alternative), but my hunch is that he'll extend but with an escape clause that's fair to both parties, should we fail to secure promotion again this season. 

The problem for us is the acceptance of the new reality; 'every player has a price', is now, 'every player has a price we don't like'.

If any team in championship wants to buy a league 1 player enough it's going to happen. We're comparatively skint to every club in the championship, sadly this means we cant drive much of bargain beyond refusing the first few feeler offers, then it's up to the player. 

We have to be smart with recruitment and accept if we do unearth someone good they will leave. 

40 minutes ago, dantheram said:

The problem for us is the acceptance of the new reality; 'every player has a price', is now, 'every player has a price we don't like'.

If any team in championship wants to buy a league 1 player enough it's going to happen. We're comparatively skint to every club in the championship, sadly this means we cant drive much of bargain beyond refusing the first few feeler offers, then it's up to the player. 

We have to be smart with recruitment and accept if we do unearth someone good they will leave. 

Yep , I’m pretty certain warne will not want bird to leave , if he goes it will be because the club need it to happen and given who the owner is and his reason for buying us last minute then I’m not going to be critical of either him or warne 

Began reading Page One then saw 13 pages already so duck that, I’m out for a meal and drinks at Seven. I mean Max is decent but if Hulls the biggest to come sniffing?  Man City Man Utd or Liverpool then yeah he’s a prize asset but Hull best offer….. £2m yes please. 
Go Do It GIF by Saturday Night Live

36 minutes ago, SKRam said:

Began reading Page One then saw 13 pages already so duck that, I’m out for a meal and drinks at Seven. I mean Max is decent but if Hulls the biggest to come sniffing?  Man City Man Utd or Liverpool then yeah he’s a prize asset but Hull best offer….. £2m yes please. 
Go Do It GIF by Saturday Night Live

Why bring Harry and Megan into this 🤷🏻‍♂️

Don’t think we need to jump to conclusions after one game but that was a very Max Bird performance which was a shame. 

He’s technically better than most players at this level, he just doesn’t execute it very well at all. 

Hoping he can shake off the pre-season cobwebs soon but he’s not the only one. 

3 minutes ago, inter politics said:

The balance wasn't great and none were great but thought Bird was the best of the 3. I worry if Warne is the right manager for younger players.

Can’t remember Bird doing much. Played a nice through ball to Collins who put it in row G but otherwise anonymous.

54 minutes ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

Sell and move on didn't do nothing today! Ryan Woods would improve us alot over bird! Offers f all 

A bit harsh on Bird IMO. I’m not sure many players were on top of their game today.

I thought he has looked amongst our best players in preseason and I’m hopeful he’ll prove as valuable as the season progresses.

1 hour ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

Sell and move on didn't do nothing today! Ryan Woods would improve us alot over bird! Offers f all 

Yes i look forward to Ryan Woods being made to play as a number 10 behind someone with the intelligent movement of Collins in front of him 

If I were Max I would be off to Hull pdq, a Manager and Assistant who know him well and no doubt appreciate his attributes.

Let me say that Max Bird is NOT a number 10, but he is a very good defensive midfielder with the vision to play a killer pass.

I don’t understand why we would try to convert him into an attacking, pressing number 10. Play your best players in their best position- it’s not rocket science!

On 02/08/2023 at 16:27, dantheram said:

How come warn says we dont need to sell then.

1 hour ago, inter politics said:

Not saying he was anything special but Smith and Hourihane didn't exactly pull up any trees.

Yes, I wonder if there was a bid in for either of these two that the replies would be the same? You could ask why there aren't bids in for Smith and Hourihane but there is for Bird?