Martyn Waghorn - signed a 1-year deal

trekkie_ram

Think he comes across as a great bloke, and absolutely gave his all for us at times, especially that Wednesday game. 

However, if this is where we’re at in terms of signing attacking players it’s a pretty scathing insight to our recruitment at the minute.

I’d be absolutely fine with him as a 4th choice option, but with Washington yet to feature in a friendly, he’d be our 2nd choice going into the start of the season.

To say we needed another good striking option even before we lost Mcgoldrick, it’s really not looking all that promising going into this season. Obviously there’s still a few weeks left to bring players in, but it’s unlikely to be anyone of any real top quality is it? 

It’s a bit farcical that Waghorn plays in a testimonial and then Derby realise he might be worth a punt. He’s been a free agent for weeks. Why didn’t we invite him in then? It’s no secret what he offers as a player. I thought Warne/recruitment had a list and went through the list one by one. For me, it’s not a great sign for our recruitment team. 
I’m not against Waghorn signing, but the process seems bizarre and without much planning. 

Sign Waggy, give Brown and gentle and increasing introduction, play to Collins strengths, Bird higher up, Sibley finding his mojo and (injury crisis apart) we will go up. 

Oooops quite a lot of things need to go right* come to think of it 🤣

*Defence is sorted .. we are going to be the meanest m*****k**s this season. Love the look of our back line. 

15 minutes ago, enachops said:

It’s a bit farcical that Waghorn plays in a testimonial and then Derby realise he might be worth a punt. He’s been a free agent for weeks. Why didn’t we invite him in then? It’s no secret what he offers as a player. I thought Warne/recruitment had a list and went through the list one by one. For me, it’s not a great sign for our recruitment team. 
I’m not against Waghorn signing, but the process seems bizarre and without much planning. 

I didn't hear that in Warnes interview at all... I did hear that he knew Waghorn was without a club and still lived in the area so offered him use of our training facilities without any strings attached....