Martyn Waghorn - signed a 1-year deal

trekkie_ram

1 hour ago, BPV said:

Think he comes across as a great bloke, and absolutely gave his all for us at times, especially that Wednesday game. 

However, if this is where we’re at in terms of signing attacking players it’s a pretty scathing insight to our recruitment at the minute.

I’d be absolutely fine with him as a 4th choice option, but with Washington yet to feature in a friendly, he’d be our 2nd choice going into the start of the season.

To say we needed another good striking option even before we lost Mcgoldrick, it’s really not looking all that promising going into this season. Obviously there’s still a few weeks left to bring players in, but it’s unlikely to be anyone of any real top quality is it? 

Yeah feels like we got the defence and wing back positions broadly sorted and since then it's all gone very flat and the names pretty uninspiring. It's been a transfer window of two halves...

Just now, vonwright said:

Yeah feels like we got the defence and wing back positions broadly sorted and since then it's all gone very flat and the names pretty uninspiring. It's been a transfer window of two halves...

I think Waggers is one of the better options I have heard…

15 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I didn't hear that in Warnes interview at all... I did hear that he knew Waghorn was without a club and still lived in the area so offered him use of our training facilities without any strings attached....

Why not do that earlier on in pre season though? He’s been a free agent all this time.

6 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I think Waggers is one of the better options I have heard…

Yeah I wouldn't mind if he signs. Was quietly hopeful we might have had a bit of money to sign someone younger. Completely understand why Warne has prioritised the defence but seems odd we've sold Knight (and Bielik for that matter) but are scratching around for older, out-of-contract forwards

Edited by vonwright

Similar vibe to Washington. I'm fine with him coming in, he strengthens the squad, known quantity, great for player morale in the dressing room... Just, please, for the love of Stimac, NOT as our marquee signing. 4th choice is fine, but we really need someone with pace yo get excited about.

25 minutes ago, jono said:

Sign Waggy, give Brown and gentle and increasing introduction, play to Collins strengths, Bird higher up, Sibley finding his mojo and (injury crisis apart) we will go up. 

Oooops quite a lot of things need to go right* come to think of it 🤣

*Defence is sorted .. we are going to be the meanest m*****k**s this season. Love the look of our back line. 

maroon kits?
maestro keys?
minted kids?

Give us a f***in' c*ue!   😉

2 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Have you listened to Warnes interview? It's on a thread on the main forum.

Would be easier if you had rather than answer piecemeal questions in isolation.

Yeah. Have you read my point earlier?

I don’t believe it’s a case of doing him a favour or because he’s Fozzies mate. How ridiculous. Do you actually believe that? 

20 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Have you listened to Warnes interview? It's on a thread on the main forum.

Would be easier if you had rather than answer piecemeal questions in isolation.

You can listen to the interview and still ask those questions.  

Does seem a bit chaotic and disorganised if we end up signing someone cos they turned up to play a testimonial for their mate and were the best option available to us.

Like others have said though we could do a lot worse as 4th choice.

Edited by Blondest Goat

1 hour ago, BPV said:

Think he comes across as a great bloke, and absolutely gave his all for us at times, especially that Wednesday game. 

However, if this is where we’re at in terms of signing attacking players it’s a pretty scathing insight to our recruitment at the minute.

I’d be absolutely fine with him as a 4th choice option, but with Washington yet to feature in a friendly, he’d be our 2nd choice going into the start of the season.

To say we needed another good striking option even before we lost Mcgoldrick, it’s really not looking all that promising going into this season. Obviously there’s still a few weeks left to bring players in, but it’s unlikely to be anyone of any real top quality is it? 

I don't think it's a scathing insight into our recruitment. More on what's available.

Our recruitment so far has been very good.

It sounds to me like he's a last resort if we can't get anything over the line.

I think Huddersfield/Rhodes is similar to the Collins/Cardiff situation. The player needs paying up if they the club wants them out. If they don't offer the player something acceptable then that player can't go anywhere. 

If we don't manage to sign someone permanently. Then I would hope we'd bring Waghorn in and a young striker on loan. Potentially a Stansfield/Coburn type.

If you had told me three weeks ago that Waggy was an option I wouldn’t have believed you. The first 7 signings all made sense, brought quality to the squad and created a buzz in the fan base. 

then we sold Bielik and Knight alongside this for decent money so hopes were high 

Fast forward three weeks and I’m hoping Waggy does sign and do you know what - I’d like Dobbin back too!!

If Waggy was a cheap option and Thomson/Kane could fill in at left wb .. would love another maybe even Rhodes as an option off the bench in a tight game or a loanee.

these plus sibs/barks and NML should see us do well

i think we will have more time in the attacking third with the defence and smith in midfield to nullify more attacks than last year and with bird more advanced

just pray we get two forwards in soon before I have to start adding to the twitching thread