Martyn Waghorn - signed a 1-year deal

trekkie_ram

6 minutes ago, valakari said:

Lets hope they start earning their money...its not rocket science..find someone that is capable of scoring 20+ goals in League 1...make sure they work hard and are a decent human being...oh and don't costalot!!!

Who would have thought it could be so simple? Ever thought of becoming a football manager yourself?😀

9 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

No director of football.

Head of Recruitment - Mark Thomas

Head of Scouting Operations - Jon Howard

Thanks. Was just trying to figure out how transfers work at the club.

At Man Utd for example ETH would give Murtaugh a list of players he wants then it would be upto Murtaugh to negotiate the price with the club, agree the contract with the player etc. 

If the deal fell through or if the transfer was backed out of as the asking price was too large for the club or the player wage demands were too high they all would be laid at the door of Murtaugh not ETH.

Not sure why then the comments about the incoming transfers this summer would then be a reflection on Warne.

28 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Thanks. Was just trying to figure out how transfers work at the club.

At Man Utd for example ETH would give Murtaugh a list of players he wants then it would be upto Murtaugh to negotiate the price with the club, agree the contract with the player etc. 

If the deal fell through or if the transfer was backed out of as the asking price was too large for the club or the player wage demands were too high they all would be laid at the door of Murtaugh not ETH.

Not sure why then the comments about the incoming transfers this summer would then be a reflection on Warne.

Warne said in one of the earlier interviews that Stephen Pearce (and possibly Thomas) handle the negotiation/money side of things.

Seems very much a collaborative approach of Warne, Thomas and scouts identifying and settling on targets, the player if available then meets Warne and sits the “do you like our training facilities/how much will you laugh at my dad jokes” test, if they pass said test it’s passed onto Pearce to sort the money side of things….or something along those lines. Gone are the days of Clough/Taylor or Fergie at United sorting it all out pretty much single handedly. 
However, Warne is the public figurehead and has final say, so it’s unfortunate but likely that if recruitment doesn’t meet fan approval the blame would be laid at his door. Same as if the players aren’t performing at a club it’s often the manager who takes the blame. 

40 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Warne said in one of the earlier interviews that Stephen Pearce (and possibly Thomas) handle the negotiation/money side of things.

Seems very much a collaborative approach of Warne, Thomas and scouts identifying and settling on targets, the player if available then meets Warne and sits the “do you like our training facilities/how much will you laugh at my dad jokes” test, if they pass said test it’s passed onto Pearce to sort the money side of things….or something along those lines. Gone are the days of Clough/Taylor or Fergie at United sorting it all out pretty much single handedly. 
However, Warne is the public figurehead and has final say, so it’s unfortunate but likely that if recruitment doesn’t meet fan approval the blame would be laid at his door. Same as if the players aren’t performing at a club it’s often the manager who takes the blame. 

I get that if Warne identifies targets , his recruitment team then get them in and they then underperform then Warne ultimate carries the can for this.

What I was alluding to was if Warne passes a list of targets on and his recruitment team then fail to get any of them in as the player doesn't fancy dropping down a division, their wages are too rich for us, other clubs are in for them etc then why should Warne be then judged on this?

This could be near to the scenario we are in at the moment with us seemingly struggling to get in a guaranteed 20 goals a season striker for free on wages which sit within our budget. Maybe it's because too many of the factors are mutually exclusive too when you add them as filters to give a final search of.....zero. 

If people also think that Warne should be persuading players to come here just through sheer force of personality and if he can't then this is a slight on him as a manager then this is naive at one extreme and prejudiced at the other..... 

Edited by Tyler Durden

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

I get that if Warne identifies targets , his recruitment team then get them in and they then underperform then Warne ultimate carries the can for this.

What I was alluding to was if Warne passes a list of targets on and his recruitment team then fail to get any of them in as the player doesn't fancy dropping down a division, their wages are too rich for us, other clubs are in for them etc then why should Warne be then judged on this?

This could be near to the scenario we are in at the moment with us seemingly struggling to get in a guaranteed 20 goals a season striker for free on wages which sit within our budget. Maybe it's because too many of the factors are mutually exclusive too when you add them as filters to give a final search of.....zero. 

If people also think that Warne should be persuading players to come here just through sheer force of personality and if he can't then this is a slight on him as a manager then this is naive at one extreme and prejudiced at the other..... 

At this level there is no such thing as a guaranteed 20+ goals a season, its difficult to get that at every level. 

Nobody last summer thought McGoldrick would get 20+ goals & most would have thought if a player did it would have been Collins who is on our books still & has hit 20+ goals at this level.

For context, last season only 3 players got 20+ league goals in the Prem & in the Champ then 5 in League 1.

I’d not be too bothered by waghorn maybe even wickham on a free too 

then maybe look for a few loans. I’ve come to the realisation I’ve got to lower my expectations especially how restricted we are because if we didn’t have the restrictions I’d guarantee we’d probably fork out the odd £400-500k. 

I don’t expect us to be automatics but anything less than top 6 I think Warne will be under pressure maybe another season where we have no restrictions and that would be roughly three seasons to look at progression which I think is enough in modern football to know where you’re heading 

48 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

At this level there is no such thing as a guaranteed 20+ goals a season, its difficult to get that at every level. 

Nobody last summer thought McGoldrick would get 20+ goals & most would have thought if a player did it would have been Collins who is on our books still & has hit 20+ goals at this level.

For context, last season only 3 players got 20+ league goals in the Prem & in the Champ then 5 in League 1.

Look at Colby bishop didn’t score many then got two 10+ seasons at Stanley got a move to Pompey and scored 20 last season. 

with the right style , full team contributions I don’t see why Washington Collins or even waggy if we sign him couldn’t get 15+ in league 1

1 hour ago, Gerry Daly said:

Oh well at least we have a different player to talk about now. We have switched from Jordan Rhodes to Martyn Waghorn. Our cup runneth over  

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjUnfX157GAAxXrSkEAHXAnDg0QwqsBegQIGhAG&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D_CtdYqVK_R4&usg=AOvVaw009vhBznmVOql6IKR9M2Zm&opi=89978449