Martyn Waghorn - signed a 1-year deal

trekkie_ram

8 hours ago, NG2Ram said:

Please no, a player whose second touch is invariably a tackle is not the calibre of player we need at the current time no matter how desperate we are.

We're still under a business plan, so if it takes signing Waghorn to not end up where we were last January after Osula returned, then Waggy it is. I also think this is his level currently.

6 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I'm reading a lot about back up strikers.  I thought the bloke from Rotherham, who is supposed to run around a lot but has a dodgy knee was the back up.  We could do with someone who can start games and get goals.

Collins ??

13 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

Collins ??

When he signed, I suggested that his heading ability would probably be his main asset.  Didn't see much off that last year .  I could see him get 12-15 depending on using that more.  We still need more goals though and desperately need more pace in midfield and up top. We also still need a bit more muscle in midfield for certain games where it's tight and a battle needs to be ensued. Some horrible s******** in the Eustace/Morsy mould.

1 minute ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

When he signed, I suggested that his heading ability would probably be his main asset.  Didn't see much off that last year .  I could see him get 12-15 depending on using that more.  We still need more goals though and desperately need more pace in midfield and up top. We also still need a bit more muscle in midfield for certain games where it's tight and a battle needs to be ensued. Some horrible s******** in the Eustace/Morsy mould.

Yes, I’m hopeful Collins will get more goals than last year but I don’t expect more than perhaps 15.

He will operate far more effectively if he has a partner in the box. 

Last season, it was either him or McGoldrick in the box with the other creating.

That’s why I think Godden would have been perfect.

The fact we haven't succeeded or even seemed to try to sign some of the players touted is a little concerning. Warne said about he'd rather have 3 really good strikers instead of 4 ok ones..  but all I've seen is back up options.. where is our main talisman? 

For the record I think we've signed well with what we have, but I don't understand how our "decent budget" hasn't been used to get the right target through the door.

Love waggy but he's not prolific. Washington sounds like a workhorse but again, not prolific, and Collins? Am I missing something or being over critical?

I feel like Alfie May, Nombe, Godden etc would of been perfect, but Rhodes and Waggy? Not convinced at all personally.

15 minutes ago, SK47 said:

The fact we haven't succeeded or even seemed to try to sign some of the players touted is a little concerning.....

We're now reaching unheard of levels of bed-wetting - unless you're part of Warne's inner circle (and it seems no-one on here is), then you have absolutely no idea whether we've been after any of the rumours - it's nothing more than fans speculating. If you're needing to wash your sheets because we don't seem to have been in for any of these players (without knowing whether we have or not) then it might be advisable to leave the forum alone for a few days - it really can't be good for your mental health to stress about whether we've seemed to try to sign a player that we may not even have been interested in....

11 hours ago, Ambitious said:

In fact, Russell only scored 4 more goals than Waghorn for Derby and he played 80 more games. Surprised me that has, to be honest.

Waghorn didn't have the disadvantage of having Tom Ince on the opposite flank to him, thus being absolutely starved of the ball to the point he may as well not have been on the pitch for most of those games.

3 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

I can’t believe people are slating his finishing so much. It wasn’t perfect by any stretch but it seems to be badly exaggerated here.

Indeed it's odd. I'd be willing to bet some of those slating Waghorn's finishing are the same people unhappy that we haven't gone in for Sam Smith, even though Waghorn's conversion rates in his first 2 seasons here were very similar to what Smith's has been in League One for the past 2 season.

Edited by Kokosnuss

1 minute ago, Kokosnuss said:

Indeed it's odd. I'd be willing to bet some of those slating Waghorn's finishing are the same people unhappy that we haven't gone in for Sam Smith, even though Waghorn's conversion rate in his first 2 seasons here were very similar to what Smith's has been in League One for the past 2 season.

and, might I add, at a higher level too.

I don't quite understand the level of despair this potential signing is getting. We clearly aren't in a position to be splashing big wages or fees, and that naturally pinches the player pool. Prolific no9s cost the money we aren't prepared to part with for one reason or another.

31 minutes ago, SK47 said:

The fact we haven't succeeded or even seemed to try to sign some of the players touted is a little concerning. Warne said about he'd rather have 3 really good strikers instead of 4 ok ones..  but all I've seen is back up options.. where is our main talisman? 

For the record I think we've signed well with what we have, but I don't understand how our "decent budget" hasn't been used to get the right target through the door.

Love waggy but he's not prolific. Washington sounds like a workhorse but again, not prolific, and Collins? Am I missing something or being over critical?

I feel like Alfie May, Nombe, Godden etc would of been perfect, but Rhodes and Waggy? Not convinced at all personally.

Godden would get 20 goals in this league.  My feeling is that A-  He'd get a one year offer on better money than we can pay from a team who need to stay in the championship or maintain a safety first mid table slot, or sitting out his last year with some game time in much nicer grounds. B-  He'd take up a whole lot of wage, if he was interested, from an injury risk viewpoint.  He's become more broken down as the years progress.  To be fair however, that's a risk with all these ageing players including one we've just signed who's recovering from a knee op.

26 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

We're now reaching unheard of levels of bed-wetting - unless you're part of Warne's inner circle (and it seems no-one on here is), then you have absolutely no idea whether we've been after any of the rumours - it's nothing more than fans speculating. If you're needing to wash your sheets because we don't seem to have been in for any of these players (without knowing whether we have or not) then it might be advisable to leave the forum alone for a few days - it really can't be good for your mental health to stress about whether we've seemed to try to sign a player that we may not even have been interested in....

Bit harsh. I think people are just expressing legitimate concern that we haven't been able to bring in a first-choice striker who looks likely to score a decent amount of goals. We all know that's something we lack.

None of us know who Warne has or hasn't been in for. Ultimately we judge the window (and Warne) by who he manages to get through the door. And at the moment we still look very light up top, and are hearing lot of noise from the club about how difficult it is to sign players and how little money we have. 

Maybe that's a negotiating tactic and maybe Warne has an ace up his sleeve. If so, great. But we don't know that either, and fans are entitled to express concern based on the situation right now. 

5 minutes ago, vonwright said:

Bit harsh. I think people are just expressing legitimate concern that we haven't been able to bring in a first-choice striker who looks likely to score a decent amount of goals. We all know that's something we lack.

None of us know who Warne has or hasn't been in for. Ultimately we judge the window (and Warne) by who he manages to get through the door. And at the moment we still look very light up top, and are hearing lot of noise from the club about how difficult it is to sign players and how little money we have. 

Maybe that's a negotiating tactic and maybe Warne has an ace up his sleeve. If so, great. But we don't know that either, and fans are entitled to express concern based on the situation right now. 

maybe it was a bit harsh, but to see someone state "we haven't succeeded or even seemed to try to sign some of the players touted" just shows how ridiculous this feeding frenzy has got - if we've been in talks but failed that's one thing (though we probably wouldn't know as Warne is keeping things close to his chest), but to be upset that we don't seem to have tried to sign someone we haven't even been formally linked with is taking things to the extreme....

53 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Waghorn didn't have the disadvantage of having Tom Ince on the opposite flank to him, thus being absolutely starved of the ball to the point he may as well not have been on the pitch for most of those games.

He did have Lawrence and to an extent Wilson as well, though.

53 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Godden would get 20 goals in this league.  My feeling is that A-  He'd get a one year offer on better money than we can pay from a team who need to stay in the championship or maintain a safety first mid table slot, or sitting out his last year with some game time in much nicer grounds. B-  He'd take up a whole lot of wage, if he was interested, from an injury risk viewpoint.  He's become more broken down as the years progress.  To be fair however, that's a risk with all these ageing players including one we've just signed who's recovering from a knee op.

You don’t know Godden would get 20 goals but would be a decent signing 👍

4 minutes ago, strawhillram said:

I’d be happy with Waggers and bring through younger players from the U21s. The club needs to spend money prudently for a few years and also  sell to buy.

I think if we got Waghorn it would complete the "spine" of the team. We should then look for loanees to add a bit of extra sparkle and pace.

IF Waggy signs then he will have shown enough in training and friendlies to convince Warne he is worth a place in the squad. That is good enough for me. There is no doubt that Warne knows what is needed to build a team to get out of this league and can do so with a very limited budget. For what it’s worth If he is fit enough then I think Waggy could be very effective alongside Collins in this team.

51 minutes ago, vonwright said:

Do we have a director of football at the moment? Genuine question.

Or does Warnes role encompass all of these activities as well as scouting etc

5 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Do we have a director of football at the moment? Genuine question.

Or does Warnes role encompass all of these activities as well as scouting etc

No director of football.

Head of Recruitment - Mark Thomas

Head of Scouting Operations - Jon Howard