Martyn Waghorn - signed a 1-year deal

trekkie_ram

6 minutes ago, Ramslad1992 said:

Call me an old romantic but sign him up! That game against Wednesday he was immense and his reaction towards the end of the game and afterwards was superb.

Exactly the kind of character our club deserves. We could do a hell of a lot worse than Waghorn as a back up striker. 

100% couldn't have said it any better.

2 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

Has he played in League 1 before? Maybe the level will suit his game. 

Nope. Though some would argue Scottish Premiership/Championship could be comparable or worse. If he signed it would be his first season in league one, therefore I’m confident he’d score 25 like McGoldrick last season.

I may have been in the pub 👀 still wouldn’t be against him signing up for a year. 

49 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I was so pleased when he left. Hated the points squandered by his poor finishing. At the death he had one good game for us, but for me it's not enough. Nowhere near. I don't get the calls to bring failed players back so they can fail for us again. I'd hope we could find someone better.

You have to question what on earth this Mark Thomas, recruitment fella, has been brought in for?

For us to then bring Waghorn back.

Waghorn for me was a Johnny Russell that you ordered from Wish.

13 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

You have to question what on earth this Mark Thomas, recruitment fella, has been brought in for?

For us to then bring Waghorn back.

Waghorn for me was a Johnny Russell that you ordered from Wish.

I don’t think there was much in terms of Waghorn and Russell, the latter just happened to play in better teams for the most part. 

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a player miss as many good opportunities as Russell, excellent at getting in behind but struggled in one on one situations. 

In fact, Russell only scored 4 more goals than Waghorn for Derby and he played 80 more games. Surprised me that has, to be honest.

Waghorn could sign on small wages , he could sign pay as you play ,it’s clear he’s he’s a free not on massive money , if he wants to pull on a rams shirt and warne thinks he can help towards promotion then I’m happy for him to sign and I actually think he could do a decent job in div one in a warne team if fit and injury free , for me sign him and look for the best number 10 attacking mid with flair we can find and we look very decent

7 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I don’t think there was much in terms of Waghorn and Russell, the latter just happened to play in better teams for the most part. 

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a player miss as many good opportunities as Russell, excellent at getting in behind but struggled in one on one situations. 

In fact, Russell only scored 4 more goals than Waghorn for Derby and he played 80 more games. Surprised me that has, to be honest.

It's almost like one was a winger and the other a CF who took penalties.

I would take him as clearly we have no more than a few beans to spend which I still find bizarre.

I'm not sure if that is down to restrictions or monies made available by the board.

I would find it a sensible plan D as its obvious we had other irons in the fire which have most probably stalled as their clubs demanded a fee in excess of £100k.

I fully expect us to use the loan market to get a youngster or 2 with pace. Of those we signed last season one was a 7/10 setting aside he couldn't hit a cows ar$e with a banjo. All the others ranged from a 5/10 down to a 3/10.

We must do better this time around.

Not a Russell fan for the reasons already given.

Wasn't really a Waghorn fan either, but, this is League 1, so i would expect him to be a decent player at this lower level.

I would sign him, i think he would be a positive influence and he wants to be here....unlike others mentioned recently!

Edited by valakari
Typo

As a last resort, I would sign him.

I loved his work rate, his determination to come back from his depression which takes a lot of guts. Can take a set piece if needed. His finishing though? Horrendous.

His free kick against Forest in lockdown era was unbelievable. One of the best goals against the Red Dogs. Because it wasn't with a crowd I think it gets overlooked. I think we massively overpaid for his services (shock horror). The amount of chances we created and he kept missing at vital moments in games was so frustrating. I do think though with a strike partner like Collins, his strengths might shine through. 

Is he better value for money than Jordan Rhodes? I think so. I just think we need to be more smart with recruitment and maybe hold on for a younger talent later in August when the teams above organise their squads. Everyone panicking over not signing another striker I think is jumping the gun. Good loan players won't be available until a ball is kicked.

8 hours ago, Ambitious said:

What a stat that is, I honestly never realised that either.

I can’t believe people are slating his finishing so much. It wasn’t perfect by any stretch but it seems to be badly exaggerated here. 

Going on the standard of absolute puddings other teams had upfront last season against us and their finishing I’d suggest Waggy would be one of the better finishers in the division. 

Bare in mind our best player last season was referred to as David mcgoal draught by his own fans earlier in his career…

7 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I can’t believe people are slating his finishing so much. It wasn’t perfect by any stretch but it seems to be badly exaggerated here. 

Going on the standard of absolute puddings other teams had upfront last season against us and their finishing I’d suggest Waggy would be one of the better finishers in the division. 

Bare in mind our best player last season was referred to as David mcgoal draught by his own fans earlier in his career…

Not necessarily against signing Waghorn in our current situation but he's not in the same class as McGoldrick, who would have improved even the Clough/McClaren side

2 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

its not about who is better though it’s about how good they are compared to the level.

Yes Ilson! Perspective is key to all this. Is Waghorn the best striker we’ll ever have? No.
Is Waghorn a capable squad addition to a league one side needing depth in their forward line? Yes.