Sheffield Wednesday (A) Sun 7th May, 12:00 KO

One of reasons I don’t post much is the board not banning other clubs posters just winding people up. and let’s be honest a lot of our so called poster need to look in the mirror and say my personal opinions are just that . would any of them relish being manager and reading crap some write on here fact is our seasons over get over it move on and up. remember the days we thought we were going out of existence. 

Haven’t read through this thread since 11.30 yesterday. My two penneth, for what worth, is that we played well, deserved something - at least the point - but were let down yesterday by our 3 players of the season:

1) Mendez Laing looked shot. I think I could have done more with the ball than he did, and I am 61.

2) McGoldrick’s miss just before half time was shocking. He tried to be cute, with a worldy chip, but he just needed to put his boot through it a yard either side of Dawson.

3) Wildsmith lacked bravery or nous with that Davies pass back.  He should have been putting his boot through that ball. It was a poor pass back yes, but it was at worst a 50 50 for Wildsmith and he could have done so much better.

Not a Warne fan, but didn’t think he did too much wrong yesterday. Davies was unlucky to be penalised for his pull back, and the dismissal was a terrible way to end his playing career at the club.

I still think this season has been a failure. We should have got in the top 6, and looking at Wednesday yesterday, if we had we could have had a stab at Wembley.

Ahh well. It’s only football, not life and death. Up the Rams!

14 hours ago, jono said:

I’m not too down. It’s a pity but in reality we were short of pace, power and finishing up front, short on numbers in general and short in wide defensive positions. Small squad with a few quality players. Nearly made it and they all worked their socks off. I just hope we can keep Cashin, Knight and Wildsmith. Pretty sure Didsy will stay for an Indian summer because of the locality and he’s clearly enjoyed himself. To those not liking the football, truth is there isn’t a Warneball yet. There were games where we played long and ugly - and looked lousy at it. There were also games where we did tippy tappy and looked more than respectable. We have in all those games looked hungry which you need if you want to succeed. 

Ack .. you know what, I am looking forward to pre season, transfer chatter and planning for the next phase of our recovery. 

If we look at the hand of cards we had 12 months ago I’d say we played them as well as could be expected. I am not quite as edgy about players being nicked for rock bottom prices because the market and the game has changed since Covid. Unless a prem or parachute club wants someone I don’t think there is as much money around as folk think. 

I guess all will be revealed in the fullness of time. COYR

For some reason, I am with you on this and don't feel as down as I should. I get the feeling that we could have been exposed in the Championship, although I would have taken a promotion in a heartbeat.

Warne's neck is on the line this summer, as he is expected to bring in the right sort of players for not only a promotion bid but an automatic promotion bid. 

Nearly time to switch to the transfer part of this forum. I look for to it, as for players and getting scammed. That would be a certain Pole playing for that second Birmingham team, we will get peanuts for him in comparison to what we have paid. 

I think we have about nine departures this year. Warne had his phone on charge, he will not get any peace this summer. 

COYRs

Have you seen this man? Wanted by police, last seen in Sheffield area.

I’ve finally managed to force myself to watch the highlights from the game.

Regarding the penalty, obviously a very poor back pass from Curtis and I suspect Wildsmith was perhaps a little gentle as he didn’t want to risk giving away a penalty himself.

Sadly (very) in modern football it seems you only need to make the slightest contact for a penalty to be awarded and Curtis shouldn’t have given the ref a decision to make but, that dive was just embarrassing.

IMG_0476.jpeg

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

Haven’t read through this thread since 11.30 yesterday. My two penneth, for what worth, is that we played well, deserved something - at least the point - but were let down yesterday by our 3 players of the season:

1) Mendez Laing looked shot. I think I could have done more with the ball than he did, and I am 61.

2) McGoldrick’s miss just before half time was shocking. He tried to be cute, with a worldy chip, but he just needed to put his boot through it a yard either side of Dawson.

3) Wildsmith lacked bravery or nous with that Davies pass back.  He should have been putting his boot through that ball. It was a poor pass back yes, but it was at worst a 50 50 for Wildsmith and he could have done so much better.

Not a Warne fan, but didn’t think he did too much wrong yesterday. Davies was unlucky to be penalised for his pull back, and the dismissal was a terrible way to end his playing career at the club.

I still think this season has been a failure. We should have got in the top 6, and looking at Wednesday yesterday, if we had we could have had a stab at Wembley.

The only thing possibly in Wildsmith’s defence is that the Wednesday player was very close and he may have thought if he went in too aggressively he’d give a penalty away himself. 

1 hour ago, Woodley Ram said:

For some reason, I am with you on this and don't feel as down as I should. I get the feeling that we could have been exposed in the Championship, although I would have taken a promotion in a heartbeat.

Warne's neck is on the line this summer, as he is expected to bring in the right sort of players for not only a promotion bid but an automatic promotion bid. 

Nearly time to switch to the transfer part of this forum. I look for to it, as for players and getting scammed. That would be a certain Pole playing for that second Birmingham team, we will get peanuts for him in comparison to what we have paid. 

I think we have about nine departures this year. Warne had his phone on charge, he will not get any peace this summer. 

COYRs

At least we have more time to sort out transfer dealings 

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

Sums it up I think. A bit harsh on Mendez Laing, maybe but I haven't seen you play to be fair. 

One of the many very annoying things about yesterday was that in the two games against Wednesday this season although they just beat us on aggregate, (0-0 at PPS and 1-0 yesterday) we were the better teams in both games. The ref made a double howler first in awarding the penalty and secondly in the sending off. Without that I think we would have won yesterday and probably beaten Wednesday in the play offs too.

Yet another chapter in the long story of near misses over the last 10 years. 

7 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

The contrast between these last paragraphs demonstrate a selective one-eyed approach - every allowance for Rosenior none for Warne.

There have been unreasonable expectations of both of them but we will never know what outcome we would have seen if the Owner had made a different decision regarding a permanent replacement for Rooney

Not sure you appreciated the context of the post tbh - an assessment of the various 'hands' managers were dealt, set against the expectations at the time they were appointed and factors that had an effect on whether they could carry out the remit presented to them or not. 

The stuff about the treatment and attitude towards the managers from fans is a side issue. However it's a bit rich trying to claim that my I'm the one making different allowances for different managers, that's exactly the opposite of what the post was. Anyway... 

What unreasonable expectation has there been on Warne, exactly? 

He knew exactly what he was taking on when he agreed to be our manager. The play-offs were an achievable target and one he set for himself. Nothing unreasonable there.

Has it been perfectly set up for him to achieve success? No, but it rarely is (only Lampard has had that luxury).

The only unexpected bumps in the road I can think if to stop him achieving his aim of a top 6 finish have been the recall of Osula & the Bird being injured for a few weeks. Are these big enough setbacks to have made a play-off spot unachievable? I wouldn't have said so, but maybe you disagree.

He came in after a lot of the hard yards were already done, that's simply a fact.

There are issues with the make-up of the squad that he has had to contend with, and the fact that it isn't 'his' squad made it more difficult for him but - once again - this was all known to him before taking the job. My last post (and this one) was looking at the unexpected situations that presented challenges to overcome, so course it wasn't full of allowances for Warne.

He has the comfort of a 4 year deal and the support of a patient chairman, and a fanbase who'd largely have been happy with a top 10 finish this season before a ball was kicked. The vast majority of people are happy to see him given time to make the squad his own and have another crack (or two) at it.

There is a bit of disquiet that he has failed to achieve what he set out to do this season, but nothing like the amount of anti-Warne sentiment certain people keep trying to perpetuate.

Edited by Kokosnuss

12 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

summarising comments

They dropped us down to league one 

We thought we’d go back up
But we’re just flat track bullies
So we are staying put

Delayed ole oles 

I like that, made me chuckle this morning, kind of gallows humour, it’s only a game, one yesterday, had we had 11 men, we might of won.

Trying to think of a phrase to look forward to next year, how about “build back better”, feels catchy, might have heard it somewhere else mind.

34 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Cry more. I actually backed the appointment of Warne based on his record, it was only after a few months in having seen the way he plays football that I turned against him. You will too, once you realise he ain’t ever going to succeed here. 

I remember when I was ridiculed for criticising Mel. That turned out well.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Have you seen this man? Wanted by police, last seen in Sheffield area.

I’ve finally managed to force myself to watch the highlights from the game.

Regarding the penalty, obviously a very poor back pass from Curtis and I suspect Wildsmith was perhaps a little gentle as he didn’t want to risk giving away a penalty himself.

Sadly (very) in modern football it seems you only need to make the slightest contact for a penalty to be awarded and Curtis shouldn’t have given the ref a decision to make but, that dive was just embarrassing.

IMG_0476.jpeg

Yet Forsyth nearly had his shirt pulled off him when we had a corner but was penalised for standing back up and bringing down the player that fouled him.

9 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Cry more. I actually backed the appointment of Warne based on his record, it was only after a few months in having seen the way he plays football that I turned against him. You will too, once you realise he ain’t ever going to succeed here. 

I remember when I was ridiculed for criticising Mel. That turned out well.

To be fair Millenium, you criticise absolutely everything so by laws of averages you were bound to be correct eventually. 

36 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

I like that, made me chuckle this morning, kind of gallows humour, it’s only a game, one yesterday, had we had 11 men, we might of won.

Trying to think of a phrase to look forward to next year, how about “build back better”, feels catchy, might have heard it somewhere else mind.

Making dcfc great again