Sheffield Wednesday (A) Sun 7th May, 12:00 KO

9 hours ago, Zag zig said:

I like that, made me chuckle this morning, kind of gallows humour, it’s only a game, one yesterday, had we had 11 men, we might of won.

Trying to think of a phrase to look forward to next year, how about “build back better”, feels catchy, might have heard it somewhere else mind.

Build Back Better is not a good model to follow!

4 hours ago, Diego said:

I tell you what got my goat about that incident is how Fozzy and others didn’t go surrounding the referee. He just gently enquired to the ref. Just sums our soft underbelly up this season.

We’ve got to be a lot smarter in the dark arts of league one next season. 

He'd have been booked. As should all the ref botherers, but they don't wear a Derby County shirt so will never be booked for it.

1 hour ago, Carnero said:

I find it hard to believe that replacing Plymouth, Ipswich and one of Sheff Wed/Barnsley/Bolton/Posh with Reading, Blackpool & Wigan will make the division stronger!

I heard one correspondent on the Rams Daily podcast suggesting our team should have got automatics this year... we'd have needed 99 points FFS!!! 😂

If you add in the points we might have got for all the penalties against us that shouldn't have been, all the penalties we should have had but were denied, all the offside goals scored against us, and the goals we score which were wrongly ruled offside, we'd probably have been  top of the league by an unassailable margin.

6 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

We needed a goal, but even before getting in at half-time and regrouping, he took off one of his likely scorers/creators in Sibley. Absolute madness

I was all for sibley starting. But he was poor first half. And he’s done very little since Warne started paying him up front. He’s now had many chances which he has failed to take 

6 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Then, I cannot believe the people on here claiming it was a penalty. Seriously? On first viewing it was an obvious dive. You all need to take a long hard look at yourselves. Why would anyone be so eager to justify the referee making a clear and obvious error in the biggest match of his sorry life? To give a penalty the referee should always be sure

I’m not sure many at all are claiming it was a penalty.  It was undeniably soft at best. But to my eye it looked like a pen in real time and the ref only has one chance

And the refrain that “to give a penalty the ref should always be sure” ? Where does this come from ?  I’m sure it’s not what the baby refs are told at their FA training. Maybe some of the refs on here can tell what they actually are told 

19 hours ago, Diego said:

I tell you what got my goat about that incident is how Fozzy and others didn’t go surrounding the referee. He just gently enquired to the ref. Just sums our soft underbelly up this season.

We’ve got to be a lot smarter in the dark arts of league one next season. 

I fear you are right but I absolutely hate the 5hithousery they call "dark arts" witha vengeance. Feigning injury, surrounding the ref, preventing the quick taking of free kicks, corners and throws by kicking the ball away or running away with it. Once a decision has been given against your team, you leave the ball alone. You do not stand right in front of the ball so the kick can't be taken. It's against the Laws of the game so why don't refs stamp it out.

18 hours ago, PistoldPete said:

The only question I have is.. is the ball in play? Jostling before the ball is played is quite common. 

Bit of both, in fairness. At the start of the pushing, the ball isn't in play but it's still taking place when the kick is taken.

You can't get away with punching an opponent when the ball is out of play. Neither can you wrestle him to the floor. The only difference is that, if the ball isn't yet in play, no foul can be given. However, a card can. 

I remember, 1 or 2 seasons ago, against the red dogs, we had a corner at the North end of PP. Curtis was thrown to the floor. Not a penalty as the ball wasn't yet in play. However, a card was warranted but wasn't forthcoming. Get refs to card these cheats and it will stop inside a couple of weeks.

21 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

If you add in the points we might have got for all the penalties against us that shouldn't have been, all the penalties we should have had but were denied, all the offside goals scored against us, and the goals we score which were wrongly ruled offside, we'd probably have been  top of the league by an unassailable margin.

A slight exaggeration I make it about 20 points deficit due to dodgy  ref decisions. Mind you about the same last season so we should still be in Championship without the ref anti Derby bias. 

On 08/05/2023 at 11:12, Millenniumram said:

Cry more. I actually backed the appointment of Warne based on his record, it was only after a few months in having seen the way he plays football that I turned against him. You will too, once you realise he ain’t ever going to succeed here. 

I remember when I was ridiculed for criticising Mel. That turned out well.

You’re entitled to your opinion and we are entitled to disagree with your posts and opinions. it’s called democracy. I personally think warne is doing a good job in difficult times hope that helps.

7 hours ago, MadAmster said:

I fear you are right but I absolutely hate the 5hithousery they call "dark arts" witha vengeance. Feigning injury, surrounding the ref, preventing the quick taking of free kicks, corners and throws by kicking the ball away or running away with it. Once a decision has been given against your team, you leave the ball alone. You do not stand right in front of the ball so the kick can't be taken. It's against the Laws of the game so why don't refs stamp it out.

Often times when talking about match officials people will say that they have a really difficult job - which they do. But might I suggest that much of the "difficulty" they have brought on themselves. Hey have been "thigh-swishing" instead of dealing with the offences as they happen. They allowed shirt-grappling and body-bumping during open play because it was at the start relatively mild, but once players knew they could get away with it the offences started to become much more significant. This developed into the WWF we see for every free-kick and corner which has reached epic proportions. If refs simply blew for a foul and brandished appropriate cards it would soon stop, because teams would quickly find themselves one or two players down. 

And so it went on, with the falling like flies at the slightest contact - which originated with the Italians, to which we said "that's not coming here". And it didn't until we started bringing foreign players here en masse - the two Argentinians at Spurs was where the bridgehead was breached, and now we have th Italians and everyone else plying their trade, and the Brits seeing what was going on and saying "in for a penny, in for a pound" and now they are all doing it. All it needed was a tough stance from the refs, but they whimped out yet  again. And with the American attitude of "I'll sue you for that, and if there's nothing I can sue you for, I'll sue you for that instead" means that refs daren't leave a player writhing on the floor for fear of him being genuinely injured and needing life-saving treatment. observant coaches noted that this often disrupted the opposition's momentum, so it was coached into the players from day one. And a recent development, which I hadn't seen until only a month or so ago is that if two players go down injured, neither of them has to leave the pitch once treated.

We hd a double or even triple whammy on Sunday. First the non-penalty, with the striker bleeding to death from the sniper shot that pole-axed him then sneering at Davis when he was sent off. Then later in the game Fozzy was wrestled to the floor in the area, with the video and still shots showing his shirt halfway up his back, but apparently not a foul. Instead, as he struggled to his feet the Wednesday defender "fell" over him, and it was a free-kick to Wednesday. At the same time Dobbin was being manhandled off balance, again in full view of the match officials, but again nothing given. So  a penalty awarded for virtually no contact at all, and no penalties given for clear and blatant physical contact. 

If the refs had balls, things might be different, and their job would instantly be a lot easier. Apart from the authorities "leaning" on match  officials in order to achieve pre-determined objectives. Not that the FAor the EFL are corrupt, of course. Heaven forfend such a suggestion!

I'll just go and wash my mouth out with milk and honey!

36 minutes ago, islandram said:

You’re entitled to your opinion and we are entitled to disagree with your posts and opinions. it’s called democracy. I personally think warne is doing a good job in difficult times hope that helps.

I hate to be a pedant but I assume you mean freedom of speech rather democracy? We’re not electing anyone.