John Motson Has Died

TuffLuff

Barry Davies and John Motson - Ali and Frazier of their times. When I listen to commentators today, who think that only thing to do is shout I realise just how nuanced and talented their generation were. Even Hugh Johns, Brian Moore, Alec Weeks, Gerald Sinstadt put the current mob to complete shame.

Motty, David Coleman and Dicky Davies were the voices covering so many great moments in my sporting youth. So sad.

Motty, Pitch side, in his sheepskin coat holding the microphone with condensation fogging the air as he did interviews and previews. Wonderful fond memories, an icon of another age. 

Edited by jono

Was honoured to meet him outside Pride Park a few years ago and of course he was sheep-skin coated. Even though he was running to his car to get some vital kit prior to his MOTD broadcast, he stopped and spent 10 minutes chatting to us and allowing us to take pics with young Will & Edward. A thrilling memory for me and in those 10 minutes he recounted a Brian Clough anecdote and conveyed very great affection for the old Baseball Ground which he described as an icon of the game. Proper GOAT. 

Legendary commentator.
Legendary voice.
Legendary stats nerd.
Legendary coat.

The voice of TV football, back when TV football actually mattered to me, and affected my life.

...And to anyone watching, but who missed his ultimately classic but heavily nuanced reference to Buchan, and the 39 steps back in '77... Shame on you!  ?

Sleep soundly Motty (If I may be so informal to such a legend!).
And thanks for playing such a big part of my love for football.
xxx 

#gutted

Always loved the way, during commentary, if there was an excuse to shoe-horn a Derby County reference into a remark then he would take it.

Not just because it was nice to hear as a Rams fan, but also quite lovely that you knew he was doing it as a way to reach out to his son, who he no doubt spent long hours/days away from whilst working

RIP Motty