Genuine question. Am I being a prude???

Weird one, you want to say no as you are surrounded by kids, yet 100 yards away you have a few thousand belting out songs with all kinds of fruity language. 

If you want to protect kids ears from words you would rather they didn’t repeat, a football ground isn’t really the place to go I’m afraid.

Saying that, the fan in question should really know better and purchase a ticket in a more suitable stand so it’s not directly into the ear of a minor.

9 minutes ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

Appreciate the feedback. I was with 2 young children yesterday and guy in nearby area was giving it some.

What would you do in this instance? 

Challenge him

Put up with it

Report it to club

I'd approach a steward who would look uninterested, and I'd go sit down and quietly fume. 

You don’t realise how bad the language is until you take a child to the ground. 
All you can do is tell the child to ignore the rude words.

You won’t get it stopped so don’t get over anxious about it.  Or if you can’t ignore it, keep away, kids understand it’s wrong if you explain it to them.  They’ll hear the same language in the playground at school at some time and you won’t be there to sort that out.

14 minutes ago, Boycie said:

You don’t realise how bad the language is until you take a child to the ground. 
All you can do is tell the child to ignore the rude words.

You won’t get it stopped so don’t get over anxious about it.  Or if you can’t ignore it, keep away, kids understand it’s wrong if you explain it to them.  They’ll hear the same language in the playground at school at some time and you won’t be there to sort that out.

True. But it's not really the right thing to do, to ignore that the Family Area isn't the place for adults to be rude idiots. So add in telling the child that the person doing the inconsiderate swearing shouldn't be behaving like that as it's not appropriate.

The point of the family area is that you respect the families who sit there, in my opinion. The one at fault is the person shouting and should not be surprised to be asked to calm the language down. 
In the stadium as a whole, I explained to my kids when they were little about the places and people who do not want to hear it, as you just know they use that language with their mates. 

1 minute ago, Ewe Ram said:

The point of the family area is that you respect the families who sit there, in my opinion. The one at fault is the person shouting and should not be surprised to be asked to calm the language down. 
In the stadium as a whole, I explained to my kids when they were little about the places and people who do not want to hear it, as you just know they use that language with their mates. 

Having a family area in a football ground is like having a no pissing area in a swimming pool.

Which bit is actually the family area?  Not entirely sure now.  We are in the north stand lower about halfway between the corner and goal, with goal to our right.  Is that the family area?  I do occasionally let rip with a little Anglo Saxon ( I did yesterday at their number 6). It’s not something that I do constantly through the game though and most games I don’t, although there are a few around us that do.  The north stand (especially the lower) has always been pretty relaxed and easy going both in the seats and in the concourse, and the people tend to be either older folk or multi generational families like ours, not so many groups of “boisterous” lads.  I guess that there is more being in or the near the family area than the fruity language rule?

For myself I do try and restrain myself, but like I said occasionally I do slip.  I have taken my lad since he was 4  (he is now 14). It has had no negative effect on his language,  I told him from an early age that he was not to use the words he heard, and he doesn’t, he plays on a Sunday, and his mates certainly do, but he doesn’t (other than what I would describe as Ronald Weasley swear words ?)

I agree with David’s comment that if you don’t want young kids exposed to such language at all, then a football stadium isn’t the best place to be, however you can’t protect them forever…

22 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

Do they do the bounce in the family area? Maybe someone needs a bleeper button for every swear word.  

There are translations…

“if you don’t JUMP and bounce”

“Your supporters come in ships”

etc, etc…