Genuine question. Am I being a prude???

Its funny you dont really notice it until you take your kids! But not good in a specific family area. If its a one off in heat of moment would let it go but if someone persistent out of character with rest of the area would probably report them.  
Always going to get it at football but its everywhere these days, especially school snd online, so are you not going to take them out? At least at football its humorous usually.
We're obsessed with supporting dcfc and have brought both my sons from age of two. Personally I hate swearing for the sake of it. Now mine are old teenagers.  They have always understood to make up their own word for "those" songs (as do I actually!). And we have always had the "what you hear in football stays at football" or you dont go rule. And have always laughed with them at one-off rants - there is nothing my youngest likes more than someone randomly standing up for a mad out of character rant. Similarly his favourite moment was a young kid standing up ranting about someone being a "scallywag".  
Mine havent grown up to swear generally in life so dont stress about it too much as you'll spoil it for yourself. There's often enough to be stressed about on the pitch!

12 minutes ago, Andrew1 said:

Which bit is actually the family area?  Not entirely sure now.  We are in the north stand lower about halfway between the corner and goal, with goal to our right.  Is that the family area?  I do occasionally let rip with a little Anglo Saxon ( I did yesterday at their number 6). It’s not something that I do constantly through the game though and most games I don’t, although there are a few around us that do.  The north stand (especially the lower) has always been pretty relaxed and easy going both in the seats and in the concourse, and the people tend to be either older folk or multi generational families like ours, not so many groups of “boisterous” lads.  I guess that there is more being in or the near the family area than the fruity language rule?

For myself I do try and restrain myself, but like I said occasionally I do slip.  I have taken my lad since he was 4  (he is now 14). It has had no negative effect on his language,  I told him from an early age that he was not to use the words he heard, and he doesn’t, he plays on a Sunday, and his mates certainly do, but he doesn’t (other than what I would describe as Ronald Weasley swear words ?)

I agree with David’s comment that if you don’t want young kids exposed to such language at all, then a football stadium isn’t the best place to be, however you can’t protect them forever…

Seats are clearly marked as family area and behaviour should be commensurate with those present.

I find it astounding that comments such as they shouldn't go to football. They are both football mad so why should I stop them going because individuals decide to behave unacceptably in the area they are seated

9 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Its funny you dont really notice it until you take your kids! But not good in a specific family area. If its a one off in heat of moment would let it go but if someone persistent out of character with rest of the area would probably report them.  
Always going to get it at football but its everywhere these days, especially school snd online, so are you not going to take them out? At least at football its humorous usually.
We're obsessed with supporting dcfc and have brought both my sons from age of two. Personally I hate swearing for the sake of it. Now mine are old teenagers.  They have always understood to make up their own word for "those" songs (as do I actually!). And we have always had the "what you hear in football stays at football" or you dont go rule. And have always laughed with them at one-off rants - there is nothing my youngest likes more than someone randomly standing up for a mad out of character rant. Similarly his favourite moment was a young kid standing up ranting about someone being a "scallywag".  
Mine havent grown up to swear generally in life so dont stress about it too much as you'll spoil it for yourself. There's often enough to be stressed about on the pitch!

They are my Grandchildren so I can't really accept what I 'maybe" would if they were my own. Also it's not an isolated incident.

I'll stick to my guns on this one but I'm very suprised by some of the responses

I am in the North Stand and have my lads and now grand children with us. I like to join in the occasional chant but use duck instead of the f word not that it makes a difference to what the GK’s are hearing. As a family we don’t usually swear and I think that is what is the key influence on the kids. Occasionally there have been random possibly coked up supporters buy tickets near us and behave as such but usually they haven’t lasted much beyond half time. 

There are some nonsense songs such the Collimore one and ones that relate to fighting that need to go but generally I have no concern about the impact on my GK’s they have too many positive role models around them and it is no bad thing for them to understand that other people don’t behave or think like our family does.

Edited by Sufferingfool
Spelling

3 minutes ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

Seats are clearly marked as family area and behaviour should be commensurate with those present.

I find it astounding that comments such as they shouldn't go to football. They are both football mad so why should I stop them going because individuals decide to behave unacceptably in the area they are seated

I think you have a right to expect anyone sitting in the designated family area to watch their language and, if they ignore requests to stop, perfectly entitled to report them. You're going to get audible swearing from adjacent sections and most certainly all round the stadium for certain songs, but that's different to having someone nearby using the worst swearwords aggressively and persistently. Everyone should be cut some slack at particularly tense moments, but that's all imo. 

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

You don’t realise how bad the language is until you take a child to the ground. 
All you can do is tell the child to ignore the rude words.

You won’t get it stopped so don’t get over anxious about it.  Or if you can’t ignore it, keep away, kids understand it’s wrong if you explain it to them.  They’ll hear the same language in the playground at school at some time and you won’t be there to sort that out.

You’re not still visiting school playgrounds & swearing at the kids are you @Boycie? ?

Just now, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

I am not saying that they should not go to football, you have twisted my words.  What I am saying is that if you are that concerned that they may hear some bad language and it bothers you that much that it may not be the best place to be.  However I was always able to explain to my lad why he should not use the words and he doesn’t. Restricting the behaviour of others is no excuse for your own handling of situations.  Football is a pationate game, and passions can run high, which is how I aways explained it to my lad, and he understands the difference between swearing in that context, or in humour, against those that use it as a form of punctuation or to intimidate.

Your original question was am I being prudish?  I think possibly yes, they are almost  certainly being expose to such words at school, and you just don’t know it.

My biggest concern was that I was in the family area and just didn’t know it.  Now I do know I am not I won’t feel quite so guilty about my odd slip…

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but all kids are going to swear.

Where they learn that is unimportant, but as a parent you should explain to your child that there is a time and place for everything. They will hear swearing at a football match, whether that's from a nearby fan of from 10,000 singing fans.

My advice is to be a parent and deal with it in a low key way rather than making a massive issue out of it.

1 minute ago, Loughborough Ram said:

Where they learn that is unimportant, but as a parent you should explain to your child that there is a time and place for everything. They will hear swearing at a football match, whether that's from a nearby fan of from 10,000 singing fans.

My advice is to be a parent and deal with it in a low key way rather than making a massive issue out of it.

Spot on

1 hour ago, David said:

Weird one, you want to say no as you are surrounded by kids, yet 100 yards away you have a few thousand belting out songs with all kinds of fruity language. 

If you want to protect kids ears from words you would rather they didn’t repeat, a football ground isn’t really the place to go I’m afraid.

Saying that, the fan in question should really know better and purchase a ticket in a more suitable stand so it’s not directly into the ear of a minor.

I know it doesn’t make any sense at all but there is, in my mind, a subtle difference between a crowd of people 100 yards away singing songs with profanities than an individual a yard or two away shouting out the same words.

I would take my grandsons to a match, if they lived locally, and cringe when the songs started up - hoping they wouldn’t quite make out all the words from that distance. I would feel a whole lot more uncomfortable if an individual nearby used one of the words.

16 minutes ago, Loughborough Ram said:

Plenty of adults aren't keen on swearing either. But this is along the same lines of standing in seats. There's a reason that people chose to sit in the Family Area, there are different rules/expectations. It's not about where people 'learn' to swear.

2 hours ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

Appreciate the feedback. I was with 2 young children yesterday and guy in nearby area was giving it some.

What would you do in this instance? 

Challenge him

Put up with it

Report it to club

I have sat in the same seat at Pride Park since we moved there. About six seats away sits another guy who has been there from the start too. There had never been a problem until a few years ago when he suddenly started to shout the F word. Someone nearby texted the club about it during a game. Quite soon a senior steward arrived, monitored what was happening and then went to speak to the guy discreetly. Job done, normal service was resumed and there's never been a repeat since.

But just as an aside, I am 70 now but I went to school in an area that could hardly could be described as deprived. By the time I started junior school I was hearing the F word regularly every break time on the playground. I was hearing the same in the boys enclosure at the BBG. Have things got better or worse amongst our young since then?

Edited by Brailsford Ram

I can understand a slip in the heat of a game to which the said user of the word might realise straight away , be embarrassed and apologise, but to continually use that language around kids is not good , I would not approach him , I would point out to the children it’s the kind of behaviour that’s not acceptable and quietly report him,

2 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

Yeh them teachers shouting...get your f***ing coats on you little cnuts it's raining

Can live with that but getting them to join in with duck the Tory scum is crossing the line in my opinion

Edited by Archied

1 hour ago, CBRammette said:

Same here, I’ve been taking my son since he was three, he’s grown up used to people swearing, but I never really made a big thing about it. He’s now 23 and I know he swears with his mates when I’ve heard him online, but doesn’t swear in front of his mum, or when we’re at social gatherings etc. so it’s never been a problem. Funnily enough I don’t really hear him swear at football (apart from in songs). although it’s usually going on around us. I’m the same really, I swear when I’m at work occasionally with people who do the same, but I wouldn’t dream of it in other situations.

Edited by curb