Genuine question. Am I being a prude???

This does remind me of something that might make you all smile (I think I might have mentioned it before, but…)

My mum who is now well into her 70’s had never been to a football game until very recently.  For some reason she decided to come along for a game.  Despite her age I can say that she is a little naive.  She is quite the prude too.

We had a bit of a shuffle around in the seats as my daughter had a ticket too and my lad sat with her a few rows in front.

One of the opposition sent the ball screaming over the bar, and a bunch of lads around her started making the ️ gesture.  And she joined in!  Hilarious, she had absolutely no idea, my lad just turned round and rolled his eyes..????

Incidentally, she has been to a few games since as she really enjoyed it.  What is more we have never lost at a game she has been to.  If we make the playoffs the family will be buying her a ticket…

14 minutes ago, Andrew1 said:

One of the opposition sent the ball screaming over the bar, and a bunch of lads around her started making the ️ gesture.  And she joined in!  Hilarious, she had absolutely no idea, my lad just turned round and rolled his eyes..????

Comedy Gold...does you Mum now know?

On the subject of swearing at a football match, it reminds me of a 'proper' English gentleman who used to sit in the 'A' Stand at the BBG. He was the most biased one eyed Derby fan that I have ever known, he could have given B4 some lessons. Every ref was the worst ref ever, no Derby player ever committed a foul and every tackle on a Derby player should have been a sending off. But his complaints were very strictly old school with a continuous tirade of "you hound referee", "you bounder, referee", "show us your red shirt, referee", "where's your glasses, referee?"  etc, etc.

However, during one particular match, the referee was having a stinker and our dear friend was getting more and more angry, until he finally burst and came out with "referee, refereeee, you're a, you're a, you're a BAST*****************************************D!!!!!!!". The crowd all around him in the 'A' Stand suddenly went quiet and looked at him. He sensed this and shamefully, looked around at everybody looking at him, before spouting "well he is!". 

I think exposure to bad language is inevitable for young people. They will come across it on TV, in the street, in playgrounds, in classrooms. A football ground won’t be the first place they hear it or indeed the last.

They are not going to be shielded from it by sitting in a particular part of the stadium either. I grew up sitting in the North and East stands and have taken in a game from every part of the stadium. You hear it everywhere. 

I think you have to explain what’s right and wrong and then give them some agency and let them police themselves. If you overdo it, they are more likely to play up.

I started going to the football on my own when I was 11 and it never did me any harm.

Everyone always comments on how nice, polite and well-mannered I am. Everyone, except my mother! ?

4 hours ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

Appreciate the feedback. I was with 2 young children yesterday and guy in nearby area was giving it some.

What would you do in this instance? 

Challenge him

Put up with it

Report it to club

Remind him it's a family area in a non challenging way. Do it in a way that allows him to save face, suggest that Derby make you want to swear etc

1 hour ago, The Last Post said:

Comedy Gold...does you Mum now know?

Yes she does, she just laughed when we told her.  She really didn’t know.

I distinctly remember as a 7 or 8 year old on the park, I was telling some older kids that my dad had took my bike off me a few days before for something I did wrong.  The said sniggering “ask him and do this” (making the gesture).  With no idea what it meant off f I toddled to see Dad.

Between the park and my house the gesture had turned from that into the rather more static “ok” or “perfect” gesture.  At which my dad (somewhat bemused) let me have my bike back.  The kids on the park didn’t believe their eyes as I went whizzing by… ?

12 minutes ago, Andrew1 said:

Yes she does, she just laughed when we told her.  She really didn’t know.

I distinctly remember as a 7 or 8 year old on the park, I was telling some older kids that my dad had took my bike off me a few days before for something I did wrong.  The said sniggering “ask him and do this” (making the gesture).  With no idea what it meant off f I toddled to see Dad.

Between the park and my house the gesture had turned from that into the rather more static “ok” or “perfect” gesture.  At which my dad (somewhat bemused) let me have my bike back.  The kids on the park didn’t believe their eyes as I went whizzing by… ?

Yes I did the same gesture as you as a novice 15 year old at my 1st job, We were told there will be some VIPs and we were to welcome them, So with a static gesture I gave the OK sign then all started to wave, Well so did I...that static gesture turned into...well you know.

The female VIP looked at me and pointed to her boss with a smile ?

8 hours ago, Jourdan said:

I think exposure to bad language is inevitable for young people. They will come across it on TV, in the street, in playgrounds, in classrooms. A football ground won’t be the first place they hear it or indeed the last.

They are not going to be shielded from it by sitting in a particular part of the stadium either. I grew up sitting in the North and East stands and have taken in a game from every part of the stadium. You hear it everywhere. 

I think you have to explain what’s right and wrong and then give them some agency and let them police themselves. If you overdo it, they are more likely to play up.

I started going to the football on my own when I was 11 and it never did me any harm.

Everyone always comments on how nice, polite and well-mannered I am. Everyone, except my mother! ?

Mum's know best !!!

11 hours ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

The family area is called that fir a reason. Yes some of the songs are a bit ripe but standing and shouting f****** have em us not right.

If you want to do that you can sit in another area.

Like I say I'm no prude but there is right and wrong

The songs just go over your head i think and dont really bother me. We sit in the family seats and on tuesday luckily my 5 year old grandson didnt attend, but behind us sat 4 youths late teens i think and they were coming out with f_ c_  words. I did turn round and politely said it wasnt on in the family bit. They wernt quite as bad after and they wernt season ticket holders, well they wernt there sat anyway, but if they are and carry on i will report them.

50 minutes ago, Kathcairns said:

The songs just go over your head i think and dont really bother me. We sit in the family seats and on tuesday luckily my 5 year old grandson didnt attend, but behind us sat 4 youths late teens i think and they were coming out with f_ c_  words. I did turn round and politely said it wasnt on in the family bit. They wernt quite as bad after and they wernt season ticket holders, well they wernt there sat anyway, but if they are and carry on i will report them.

Just to clarify, the f word dosnt bother me, you hear it everywhere these days, but i hate the c word.

I grew up watching derby in the east stand corner sitting next to a terrific fellow called Dave and on the other side was Mick from Grimsby. I'd heard all sorts of language from sitting in that area and it never did me any harm, all it takes is a reasonable explanation to the kid and everything should be fine. But, if you're in the family area people should be mindful of that i think. Not that you can't swear but that it should be a rarer occurrence than if you're in other areas. I would suggest it is less you being a prude than someone having bad manners. 

13 hours ago, David said:

Weird one, you want to say no as you are surrounded by kids, yet 100 yards away you have a few thousand belting out songs with all kinds of fruity language. 

If you want to protect kids ears from words you would rather they didn’t repeat, a football ground isn’t really the place to go I’m afraid.

Saying that, the fan in question should really know better and purchase a ticket in a more suitable stand so it’s not directly into the ear of a minor.

I’m sure @Owd minerlikes it in the ear!