Genuine question. Am I being a prude???

On 19/02/2023 at 08:13, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

Is it acceptable for use of the F word in the family area????

Sensible answers only pls.

Not being a prude but it's not realistic to expect to go to the footy and not hear bad language, even in the family area. The guy is clearly an inconsiderate dick though so maybe talk to a steward / the club and get him re-located?

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Not being a prude but it's not realistic to expect to go to the footy and not hear bad language, even in the family area. The guy is clearly an inconsiderate dick though so maybe talk to a steward / the club and get him re-located?

I disagree. Surely that's the whole point of the family area. A section of the ground where you should reasonably expect to only hear language that most people would consider acceptable in front of young children. 

Of course it all depends on how you define "bad language" but if I was in that area I wouldn't expect those around me and my family to shout out some of the stronger words you might hear in the more boisterous areas of the ground.

Edited by Tamworthram

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

I disagree. Surely that's the whole point of the family area. A section of the ground where you should reasonably expect to only hear language that most people would consider acceptable in front of young children. 

Of course it all depends on how you define "bad language" but if I was in that area I wouldn't expect those around me and my family to shout out some of the stronger words you might hear in the more boisterous areas of the ground.

I am afraid you will get it anyways mate.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

So when there's 20,500 singing 'f*** the EFL', casting doubt on the ref's heritage, or chanting about Nate's wang, how does being in the family area prevent kids hearing stuff you'd rather they didn't? That was the point I was making.

4 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

So when there's 20,500 singing 'f*** the EFL', casting doubt on the ref's heritage, or chanting about Nate's wang, how does being in the family area prevent kids hearing stuff you'd rather they didn't? That was the point I was making.

I’ve mentioned this before and, whilst I know it makes no sense, it feels as is there is a subtle difference between a crowd of people at the other end of stadium singing a song and an individual sitting near by shouting out some obscenity. 

I agree, if you takes kids to a football match you can’t prevent them hearing such songs but you should reasonably expect those sitting in the family area showing a little more restraint.  

3 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

If kids can watch the overgrown brats on the pitch with their gobbling off at the officials and their cheating, a bit of swearing should be the least of your problems.

They can’t hear what the players are saying to the ref though can they? And watching a player cheat on the pitch doesn’t really compare with someone sitting near by shouting out some of the stronger swear words we hear. I don’t have a problem with my grandson seeing Grealish go down like he’s been shot but, I would feel a little uneasy if the person sitting next to him started shouting out one of the strongest examples of industrial language. 

34 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

They can’t hear what the players are saying to the ref though can they? And watching a player cheat on the pitch doesn’t really compare with someone sitting near by shouting out some of the stronger swear words we hear. I don’t have a problem with my grandson seeing Grealish go down like he’s been shot but, I would feel a little uneasy if the person sitting next to him started shouting out one of the strongest examples of industrial language. 

It is completely the opposite for me. Dishonesty is worse than swearing.

43 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I agree, if you takes kids to a football match you can’t prevent them hearing such songs but you should reasonably expect those sitting in the family area showing a little more restraint.  

I think my original post makes this very same point ?‍♂️

4 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

The guy is clearly an inconsiderate dick though so maybe talk to a steward / the club and get him re-located?

7 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

I think my original post makes this very same point ?‍♂️

I think they heard 1000s of times now think is be denying to join in with the chants that's all fun of going to football let kids decide which chant to join in with.

21 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I’ve mentioned this before and, whilst I know it makes no sense, it feels as is there is a subtle difference between a crowd of people at the other end of stadium singing a song and an individual sitting near by shouting out some obscenity. 

I agree - and whilst other comments to the contrary are fair... I think what we are really talking about (and where we can perhaps agree) is not the colourful chants or a justifiable 'FFS' cry of despair from time to time - but the grown man who thinks its ok to venomously froth at the mouth and chops off all match in front of 5-6 year olds in the family area. Personally I find that behaviour in the designated kids zone to be blisteringly ignorant, embarrassing and a wee bit pathetic.

I'm planning on taking my youngest to her first match very soon, I'd hope sitting in the family corner is somewhere I can guarantee she can avoid those gobby types and not be put off by them.

37 minutes ago, Skin em Ted said:

I agree - and whilst other comments to the contrary are fair... I think what we are really talking about (and where we can perhaps agree) is not the colourful chants or a justifiable 'FFS' cry of despair from time to time - but the grown man who thinks its ok to venomously froth at the mouth and chops off all match in front of 5-6 year olds in the family area. Personally I find that behaviour in the designated kids zone to be blisteringly ignorant, embarrassing and a wee bit pathetic.

I'm planning on taking my youngest to her first match very soon, I'd hope sitting in the family corner is somewhere I can guarantee she can avoid those gobby types and not be put off by them.

I agree, it's not so much what they are saying as the anger, that rattles me. 

1 hour ago, Skin em Ted said:

It’s this exactly .