Chrissy Martin

AdamSumnerDCFC6

2 hours ago, Thierry Ennui said:

How do you feel about Jason Knight winning just as many free kicks in the same way?

Don't really understand why people are against this transfer other than the sole reason that he might compromise our pressing system. Which is a big reason, admittedly, but personally I'd love him as an option, especially with very little noise anywhere about other players coming in. I picture the ball sticking to him as our other players fly forward, and I get excited.

There are times when a player exaggerates to draw the attention of the ref to a foul. Fair enough, part of the game. And some refs need reminding !  Martin did it too often, when it would have been better to stay on his feet.
I don’t like “gamesmanship” in the first place but accept that some defenders push the boundaries - this sort of thing is the counter effect. Martin got a name for it with refs and fans. Ok that’s his style and ethic. I don’t have to like it though. Knight is entirely different. No he’s not driven snow, but he is a far more honest player. I like sportsmanship and nothing will change that ever. Playing the game the right way is more important than winning to me. 

3 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Anyone remember how happy they were when Sam Rush gave him a megabucks contract whilst he was still on loan at fulham and they wouldn't let him come back so we signed Dave-factor Nugent as well? Whatever happened to that team..................

Funny that. Everyone has different views and memories. Those early days with Nuge were great for me. He was a huge smile and breath of pout free fresh air. Time has passed now, but he was a Warne player if ever there was one. That hat trick and the whole demeanour/ body language. Loved Nuge even though he lost his touch towards the end. Cracking bloke and a real sportsman.  

10 minutes ago, jono said:

Funny that. Everyone has different views and memories. Those early days with Nuge were great for me. He was a huge smile and breath of pout free fresh air. Time has passed now, but he was a Warne player if ever there was one. That hat trick and the whole demeanour/ body language. Loved Nuge even though he lost his touch towards the end. Cracking bloke and a real sportsman.  

I wasn't having a pop at Nugent, it's was the ridiculus nature of the whole situation with Fulham, Martin, contract and then we sign another player anyway.

I'd say Nuge was a good servant of the club and, yes, his infections nature was why I think of him as "Dave-factor" becuase, well, my mate Dave....

19 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

really?

remember when HE was 1st choice striker in 2014/15 and got injured and we played Russell (or Bent) up front on his own and we ended up dropping to 8th in the league on the last day?

I would suggest he adds "DEPTH" to the squad. Whether Warne wants him or not is a different conversation.

But that was 8 years ago.  That's nigh on 50% of a professional footballers career.  And it's not even the first 50% of his career.  He was already 40% through his career back then!  Arguably in his prime... 8 years ago.

In Footballer years, Chris Martin is now "A spritely 82 year old"!  ?

19 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

But that was 8 years ago.  That's nigh on 50% of a professional footballers career.  And it's not even the first 50% of his career.  He was already 40% through his career back then!  Arguably in his prime... 8 years ago.

In Footballer years, Chris Martin is now "A spritely 82 year old"!  ?

Was he even a sprightly 25 year old? ?

Edited by richinspain
Added emoji

On 26/01/2023 at 10:03, duncanjwitham said:

We had a pacey option down the centre (Osula), and we never really used him, because he couldn't do anything else that a modern striker needs to do. He was quick, and he could dribble and finish, and that was about it.

We mainly are playing 1 up front, and even when we play Collins and McGoldrick together, they're far from a traditional front 2.  So any striker we bring in has to be able to play as a lone striker, which means they have to be able to do at least a few out of: being a physical presence up front, occupying defenders, holding the ball up, linking the play, winning headers etc.  Otherwise you're basically toothless up front and your entire system doesn't work.  There's a reason why small, quick strikers (think Michael Owen, Jermaine Defoe types) barely exist in modern football (as regular starters anyway) - they can't play up front on their own, and if you play a front 2, you get outnumbered somewhere else. 

So if we want a pacey option, we're looking at Ivan Toney types - big, strong, physical and quick at the same time.  And good luck finding one of those for free in January.  Any player that's big, strong and quick and can score goals is going to be playing regular football somewhere already.

And for what it's worth, we have bags of pace in the team already - 4 quick wingers, and the likes of Knight and Sibley breaking from deeper.  What we need is craft in the final third (i.e. someone to actually play passes or create opportunities for those guys).  We only really have McGoldrick, plus Bird and Hourihane from deeper.  A striker that can either hold the ball up, or drop off and play passes, would make a much bigger difference than another guy that can run quickly.

Good post - the answer isn’t Chris Martin 

On 26/01/2023 at 20:07, jono said:

I agree he had a great attitude but he was way past it when Derby signed him and hardly ever looked like a scoring as I remember it but I suppose memories can fade ?. One of Lampard's worst decisions in footballing terms appeared to be when he decided to keep Nugent but release Cameron Jerome when he had been terrorizing defences at the back end of the season prior ?. Nothing wrong with hard work and honest endeavour but there has to be some end product too and I don't recall alot of that at his time at Derby. Alot of the end product and good years were seen in a Leicester shirt against us unfortunately?

5 minutes ago, chelloram said:

I agree he had a great attitude but he was way past it when Derby signed him and hardly ever looked like a scoring as I remember it but I suppose memories can fade ?. One of Lampard's worst decisions in footballing terms appeared to be when he decided to keep Nugent but release Cameron Jerome when he had been terrorizing defences at the back end of the season prior ?. Nothing wrong with hard work and honest endeavour but there has to be some end product too and I don't recall alot of that at his time at Derby. Alot of the end product and good years were seen in a Leicester shirt against us unfortunately?

He never had a goal ratio better than 1 in 3 over the whole of his stays anywhere, not even Leicester or Preston. 20 in 46 games for Leicester in their promotion season was his best return and ratio in one season. But there was so much more to his game than scoring and in his first season and a half for us he was great imo. He loved scoring against Forest and winding up their fans too ? 

On 26/01/2023 at 20:07, jono said:

Nugent was the key to unlocking Vydra. That march up the table just before Christmas (and just before the wheels came off) was sublime.

2 hours ago, chelloram said:

Again, we all have different perceptions. My memory (could be defective ?) is that Nugent started very well and then became and also ran and then dropped of a cliff. Jerome worked hard but scored nothing at first but then got in to his stride and was way more dangerous at the end of his spell than he was at the beginning. ? Any stat men want to analyse it ?