Chrissy Martin

AdamSumnerDCFC6

36 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

If he's still 'got it' and his physical attributes don't really matter because they're outstripped by his technical ability and overall nous, then why don't Bristol want him anymore? Anyone know? They haven't changed manager, and Pearson seemed happy to play him to good effect previously.

Most likely to get him off their wage bill. Are they not walking a financial tightrope atm? I suspect he'll be on decent wages due to the fact they signed him for no fee. 

22 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Sitting here watching the game saying “Martin would have scored that” out loud after every chance

By my calculations we’ll win 12-0 most weeks. Something for the Martin-doubters to think about.

Well it's the sort of game where we'd have had more freekicks in the final third. And whilst you're being sarcastic if you can't see that Martin would be better up front than Collins... ?

On 23/01/2023 at 10:10, Boycie said:

I’d rather talk about the Legend that is Chrissy rather than the old black n white tv days of Clough n Dave tbh.  He was a much better footballer than Francis Lee. 

I'm glad someone finally said it. A lot of people hail old players as 'legends' but overlook martin. If you compare Martin's goal scoring record for Derby to someone like Colin Todd, Peter Shilton, Roy McFarland, Brian Clough and other 'legends', it's really no contest. 

Just now, wixman1884 said:

I'm glad someone finally said it. A lot of people hail old players as 'legends' but overlook martin. If you compare Martin's goal scoring record for Derby to someone like Colin Todd, Peter Shilton, Roy McFarland, Brian Clough and other 'legends', it's really no contest. 

What is the point of that nonsense?

12 minutes ago, David said:

Scary thing is, some of you lot would probably know and what TV channel he’s watching. 

I hope he shuts his curtains and leaves nothing confidential in his bins that can be swiped. 

Any real CM fan knows that he doesn't watch TV. He has trouble with (being) static. 

23 hours ago, duncanjwitham said:

The way I see it, Martin can do most of the stuff Collins currently does well for us (being a physical presence up front, occupying defenders etc), and most of the stuff McGoldrick currently does well for us (dropping off the front, finding space, linking the play up etc).  If he's within our wage budget, and if he's still reasonably fit (by his own standards), then I think it's an absolute no-brainer to get him back.  I think the most likely thing to stop us getting promoted this season is McGoldrick being unavailable for large periods (through injury/lack of fitness/whatever), and Chris Martin potentially solves that problem in one fell swoop.

The key to our recent success has been the wingers and CMs getting into goal scoring positions. McGoldrick's link up play has been vital in bringing those players in to play. There haven't actually been that many goals scored due to the pace of one of our CFs.

There aren't many CFs who do the linking of play better than Martin, who would prove to be a useful backup to McGoldrick. The McClaren side wasn't actually too dissimilar to what Warne is trying to implement (although there is a a difference in the range of passing). When you have wingers and AMs buzzing around a CF, it doesn't matter if the CF can run the 100m in 10 seconds or 10 minutes.

3rd choice CFs rarely are the complete package. They'll be missing at least 1 of the following: pace, finishing, link up play. Missing the link up play will be the most detrimental to the team in the event of McGoldrick being out for any significant length of time.

8 minutes ago, David said:

Has there been proof of any official interest yet?

Well we’ve had a journo we’ve not heard of before saying there is interest. Just Warne usually gets asked or there would be a denial or whatever.

——-

Edit: Just went back and checked and that wasn’t what the journalist said. My mistake!

——

Not really too fussed if it happens or not btw, can see where it might work but probably want to see us get more out of Collins.

Edited by TuffLuff

8 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

The problem with Martin is that if he plays one of his lovely lay offs on the half way line, there’s no way he’s going to be in the box for the next 8 seconds or so and he won’t be a target for the wingers.

That’s why Bristol City want rid.

I think it's more to do with them being cash-strapped and wanting his (and others) wages off the books.

16 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I think it's more to do with them being cash-strapped and wanting his (and others) wages off the books.

Played the full 90 of the first 3 games, scored 1 then fell out of favour. He’s only played 90 minutes once in November since….I would suggest that says he’s just not been in Pearson’s plans for whatever reason rather than money.

Doesn’t make sense not to play him if you’re paying him anyway, especially when near the foot of the table if he’s still as good as some of you are suggesting….unless he’s on some ridiculous appearance fee and bonuses.

Out of contract in the summer as well, so not like he has 2 or 3 years to run and been told by upstairs he really needs to be pushed out, if that was the case, would have done it in the summer and not started the games. Was well documented back then they may struggle with FFP. 

Bristol City have yet to receive any bids for striker Chris Martin, who has fallen out of favour at Ashton Gate. The 34-year-old has been linked with a move away with several League One clubs interested including his former team Derby County, though they do already have a striker in a similar mould in James Collins. 

“No idea,” said Nigel Pearson when asked if Chris Martin could leave the club at the end of the month, with any senior departures going a way towards helping fund new additions.

“It depends on whether somebody is interested and whether he wants to go. As it stands at the minute, our players that are contracted to us and with us will be with us until somebody else is interested. If somebody else is interested there is a decision to be made but there are three parties involved in that – two clubs and a player.”

Martin has not played for City since coming on as a substitute against Stoke City in mid-December, and has been absent from the last seven match-day squads. The former Crystal Palace striker is out-of-contract at the end of the season, after his deal was extended by a year last year after activating a clause based on appearances and goals. 

https://www.bristolworld.com/sport/football/bristol-city/bristol-city-transfer-news-with-striker-on-the-move-and-defender-reuniting-with-manager-3998520

16 minutes ago, David said:

Played the full 90 of the first 3 games, scored 1 then fell out of favour. He’s only played 90 minutes once in November since….I would suggest that says he’s just not been in Pearson’s plans for whatever reason rather than money.

Doesn’t make sense not to play him if you’re paying him anyway, especially when near the foot of the table if he’s still as good as some of you are suggesting….unless he’s on some ridiculous appearance fee and bonuses.

Out of contract in the summer as well, so not like he has 2 or 3 years to run and been told by upstairs he really needs to be pushed out, if that was the case, would have done it in the summer and not started the games. Was well documented back then they may struggle with FFP. 

I would have guessed that another appearance could possibly trigger a contract extension. However your next post says something similar was activated last summer. 

Therefore I concur with your conclusion that his time is most definitely done there as he is almost certainly out of their plans for other reasons/reason than money. 

I have to say I'm surprised he's stayed there as long as he has under the Ostrichs' stewardship.