This run we're on, as good as it is....

Day

Reeled in Ipswich a bit as you say. Their recent record is 1 win in 5 with three draws on the spin? With them to come here, a game in hand and a seven point deficit - they're catchable with a good second half to the season.

Sheffield Wed look the pick of the division to me, and I think we gave them too much of a start. I reckon they'll push on and win it.

Plymouth showed down here they're a good side, although Whitaker was the catalyst for them and they'll miss him. 14 points, with 2 games in hand? Big ask, but...

They've got a couple of winnable games next up (Accrington and Cheltenham), before they go to Sheff Wed at the end of the month. If we want to have a chance, we need to step up and win these next two tricky games against Bolton and Pot Vale. If we maintain the gap and they go and lose at Hillsborough, we'll have the chance to go 11 behind with two games in hand and a visit to their place to come. They'd be feeling the heat over their shoulder from Sheff Wed and that creates tension...it could be on, but for me these next two are key for us to drag ourselves into the hunt.

Edited by Needlesh

Our wafer thin squad, especially in defence coupled with injuries and suspensions will probably stop us winning enough games to make top 2.

I don't think we'll be far though and can you imagine Hillsborough if we have a chance.....what a day that will be!

Worst case scenario, 3 trips to Wembley for a Play Off and FA Cup double!

Being considered in the automatic race is a huge achievement in itself.

We’re too far off the automatics race but I think we’ve shown we’re just as good as the top three that have been running away with it all season.

If Warne can find another gear with the right January signings, we may well still be within touching distance with a handful of games to go but Weds, Ipswich and Plymouth are all very good as well. I can see one of them being catchable but the odds are so against us with three sides being that many points ahead 

We have effectively had two pre-seasons and you could probably count as many as 15 points lost due to the subsequent hiccups and slow starts under both Rosenior and Warne.

It has taken us time to build consistency, a team spirit and structure, and confidence. The top three have been consistent from the off and deserve credit for that.

We have to accept we are where we are and we should be content with a strong finish, a play-off position, and going into them playing with confidence.

Top two is too big an ask, but it’s a good target for Warne and the players to set themselves internally. We’d much rather aim for 2nd and finish 3rd than aim for 5th and finish 7th.

3 hours ago, David said:

Last defeat was against Ipswich on Friday 21st October.

By the end of play on Saturday 22nd October, the gap between:

Derby and Sheffield Wednesday who are currently in 2nd place, 9 points.

Derby and Plymouth who are currently top of the table, 14 points.

Today, January 16th, the gap between: 

Derby and Sheffield Wednesday is 11 points.

Derby and Plymouth is 14 points.

Whatcha talkin bout Willis?

Well, this 12 league game unbeaten run has done absolutely nothing to reduce the gap between ourselves and the top 2 as only 6 were wins.

We're still flying, but so are these two, we need to get even better to break into the top 2.

We do have a game in hand over Sheffield Wednesday, 2 over Plymouth and 21 games in to chase them down.

On a positive note, we were 13 points behind Ipswich following that defeat, we are now 7 points behind them with a game in hand. 

I’m fairness, although it’s been 12 games unbeaten in the league. We drew a lot to begin with and we are now on a three game winning streak, that ultimately has to continue to have a chance of automatics now. Draws aren’t good enough, we need to go on a run of picking up 8/9 wins from the next 10 league game to give ourselves a good chance. 

……. And isn’t it just wonderful that reading all these posts, we are in such a positive mindset. Happy days at Pride Park and DCFC. Whatever we forecast it’s so so encouraging and making football such a pleasure right now. Like PW has said there will be wobbles but look at us, we feel it’s doable, bring on the Wanderers ?

Edited by SKRam
Look not lol

10 hours ago, David said:

Well, this 12 league game unbeaten run has done absolutely nothing to reduce the gap between ourselves and the top 2 as only 6 were wins.

We're still flying, but so are these two, we need to get even better to break into the top 2.

We do have a game in hand over Sheffield Wednesday, 2 over Plymouth and 21 games in to chase them down.

On a positive note, we were 13 points behind Ipswich following that defeat, we are now 7 points behind them with a game in hand. 

But the best route to the championship is via St Pancras and the metropolitan line 

10 hours ago, David said:

But on the plus side, @i-Ram & @Boycie have hardly felt the cold this season, so there's that, I suppose.

When we polled this ages ago, I think I said top 6.  We're nicely cemented there at the moment and considering where we were, that's nothing short of amazing.  If not for a poor start, we'd be at worst 3rd but that's moot really. Top 2 is doable, and I expect Plymouth to falter, but in reality I can't see us achieving it due to our lack of depth, unless Warne does something amazing in the remaining 14 days of the transfer window . 

But you never know.  3rd for me is definitely on the cards regardless if we maintain our form, then win at Wembley to the sound of 40,000 Rams singing "are you watching {insert villain(s) of choice}".

It’s hard to catch teams when there are so many poor sides in the third division because the better sides will struggle not to win 

we are trying to catch teams with two ageing centre forwards in Collins and McGoldrick - they have done well considering we had five players under contract in August and with all our imposed restrictions