This run we're on, as good as it is....

Day

48 minutes ago, JfR said:

Wednesday vs. Argyle is the next match for both of the top two, so if we win at Port Vale we'll gain ground on at least one of them.

We play Morecambe at home on the same day so should gain points.

Need be beat Port Vale (A) & Cheltenham (H) in our games i  hand to have any chance of closing the gap on top 2

On 16/01/2023 at 23:11, uttoxram75 said:

Our wafer thin squad, especially in defence coupled with injuries and suspensions will probably stop us winning enough games to make top 2.

I don't think we'll be far though and can you imagine Hillsborough if we have a chance.....what a day that will be!

Worst case scenario, 3 trips to Wembley for a Play Off and FA Cup double!

Think we showed we've got depth today. Curtis had a great game considering he's played next to no games, is about 59 years old and has the knees of Paul Mcgrath...???

Just had a look at the odds, strange how favoured Ipswich are given how the table stands so far.

If we win our game in hand (one you'd expect us to win at home to Cheltenham), then we're a point behind Ipswich with the same games played. To finish top 6, we're 1/7, they're 1/250. Even if we lost that game and were 4 points behind, that's quite the difference.

On 18/01/2023 at 08:49, ramsbottom said:

Our unbeaten run has been impressive, it's just that Ipswich, Weds, and Plymouth's have been equally so.  Until one of those 3 have a wobble and we close to within a few points I'm not overly concerned about the gap.  I'm concentrating on the gap we have to 7th.  Keep that gap and I fancy us against anyone over 2 legs in the playoffs.  Yes it would be nice to grab an automatic spot, but too many draws have left us with a mountain to climb.

Too many draws? We have drawn 8 games, the top 2 have drawn 7, Ipswich currently above us have drawn 9. It's not losing that gets you points.

2 hours ago, littleover ram said:

3 above us keep winning too is the problem.

We need 2 teams to collapse and to keep this form up for the rest of the season for automatics

Play offs are realistic though. But they’re  cup games…

Ipswich are having a bit of a downturn in form . Just need Wednesday and Plymouth to join their club ???

On 16/01/2023 at 21:55, David said:

I don't unfortunately. 

That said, if you had offered me a place in the play offs back in August, I would have laughed then snapped your hand off.

The job that Clowes, Rosenior, Warne and all the coaches has been incredible to get us into the position we are now. Still a lot more work to do to secure that play off spot though.

That’s a bit harsh, he only asked you a question!

On 18/01/2023 at 07:56, David said:

It is wrong though, above says they are around 8th when in the real world where actual goals count they are top of the table. 

Points, wins, promotions, relegations are not decided on some rogue "expected" stat. 

At this point we're just creating meaningless stats for stats sake. 

Actual results aside, xG is probably the most useful stat in the whole of football.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

13 hours ago, littleover ram said:

3 above us keep winning too is the problem.

We need 2 teams to collapse and to keep this form up for the rest of the season for automatics

Play offs are realistic though. But they’re  cup games…

Ipswich lost on Saturday so we could well finish third. Top 2 is a big ask but we could e quite close if we keep this form up. 

19 minutes ago, David said:

Troll.

Not even on the windup. It blows stats like shots, shots on target, possession, etc, out of the water. And yet people don’t turn their nose up at those ones.

But if you keep pushing me I’ll tell you about the joys of expected assists…

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

26 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Not even on the windup. It blows stats like shots, shots on target, possession, etc, out of the water. And yet people don’t turn their nose up at those ones.

But if you keep pushing me I’ll tell you about the joys of expected assists…

Because shots and shots on target are actual attempts on goal, actual.

Not oh we expect because you're there, doesn't actually take into account the defence or the keeper who could be having a good or bad game.

Nor does it factor in if you have Mbappe or Dobbin in that position.

It's an absolute nonsense stat that the hipsters will try and use to show how they should have won. Behave.

The team that is more clinical with their chances and put the ball in the net wins. It's really that simple.

17 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

@Ghost of Clough will have something up his sleeve I’m sure

So good, you can’t even find the stats yourself!

Can’t wait to see these anyway, not only can they tell you how many goals you should have expected to score in the game, they can now predict the future!

Bookies must be crapping themselves now that football has become so predictable.