This run we're on, as good as it is....

Day

The run is automatic promotion form but given the start we had we need better than automatic promotion form. The annoying thing is of the six draws we’ve had we should probably have won them all. Even the Sheff wed game we could have won. 

I think we will finish in the play offs. That’s what I said at the start. But autos still a slim chance you never know. 

5 hours ago, roboto said:

All I took away from the original post is that we're now seeing automatic promotion form, but have a bit of ground to make up after a slow start to the season (understandable).

Hopefully, we've had our sticky patch and others will hit theirs in the second half of the season.

COYR

Sadly our best run of the season, unbeaten these last 12 league games with 6 wins and 6 draws, is some way off automatic promotion form (for this season). What I think @David is trying to say is that even this is not good enough. Both Plymouth and Sheffield Wednesday have averaged rather better than this for the entirety of the season so far, not just a dozen matches. To match them we would need to win 18 of our remaining 21 games. Hoping one of them does have a sticky patch and Ipswich fail to capitalize, we will still need to win 14 or 15 of the remaining matches, so that's winning at least 2 out of 3 rather than the 1 out of 2 we've done during our best spell. I think there is still a possibility, but it will be really, really tough.

COYR indeed!

57 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Sadly our best run of the season, unbeaten these last 12 league games with 6 wins and 6 draws, is some way off automatic promotion form (for this season). What I think @David is trying to say is that even this is not good enough. Both Plymouth and Sheffield Wednesday have averaged rather better than this for the entirety of the season so far, not just a dozen matches. To match them we would need to win 18 of our remaining 21 games. Hoping one of them does have a sticky patch and Ipswich fail to capitalize, we will still need to win 14 or 15 of the remaining matches, so that's winning at least 2 out of 3 rather than the 1 out of 2 we've done during our best spell. I think there is still a possibility, but it will be really, really tough.

COYR indeed!

Pretty much this.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

COYR indeed!

6 wins and 6 draws is 24 points from 12 games.. if averaged over a season is 92 points. Has any team not got promoted automatically with 92 points or more? Answer  I think is no.. not in League One or Championship anyway.

Form has been too poor at the start of the season for top 2. Realistically I think we can target 3rd, end up the form team of the playoffs who noone wants to face. Sure, lets make it interesting and keep the chase on for as long as possible...they shouldn't get the luxury of not having to look over their shoulders. I always felt we'd rue some of those inexplicable draws with Rosenior at the start of the season as suspected the squad would click eventually. Personally hope Sheff Weds and Ipswich get top 2 if we don't, get the 2 other biggest clubs out the league and reduce our long term competition. Plymouth may just be having one of those seasons everything clicks but could just as well finish mid table next year if they miss out, rather we're the undisputed biggest club in the league with the most resources if we're still in L1 next season. And would back us for the title then!

The fact there is even a thread debating our chances of getting automatic promotion and a 12 match unbeaten league run is still nothing short of miraculous given where we were in the summer and at the start of the season. I expected a season of mid table stability at best.  
Obviously, this might still end up being the case if we can’t keep our current standards up but that seems unlikely. A play off place would be the realistic aim now and that would be amazing (although I hate the playoffs).   Otherwise just enjoying the run while it lasts with no real expectations of challenging (it’s the hope that kills you anyway).

21 hours ago, Jourdan said:

We have effectively had two pre-seasons and you could probably count as many as 15 points lost due to the subsequent hiccups and slow starts under both Rosenior and Warne.

It has taken us time to build consistency, a team spirit and structure, and confidence. The top three have been consistent from the off and deserve credit for that.

We have to accept we are where we are and we should be content with a strong finish, a play-off position, and going into them playing with confidence.

Top two is too big an ask, but it’s a good target for Warne and the players to set themselves internally. We’d much rather aim for 2nd and finish 3rd than aim for 5th and finish 7th.

Always enjoyed your posts Jourdan and this is one doesn't disappoint.

I'm nodding away, and it's not even nap time ?

2 hours ago, PistoldPete said:

6 wins and 6 draws is 24 points from 12 games.. if averaged over a season is 92 points. Has any team not got promoted automatically with 92 points or more? Answer  I think is no.. not in League One or Championship anyway.

The point is after well over half the season Plymouth remain on course for 99 pts and Wednesday for 97.  A quick Google shows it's rare but 92 points is sometimes not enough for automatic promotion from League One. 

9 hours ago, Phoenix said:

Why do so many think Plymouth will falter?

Plymouth have overachieced so far.

xG puts them somewhere around 8th.

They have the worst defence out of all sides in the top 6.

Thry dont win many by more than a single goal, which suggests it would tske much to change for their results to suffer considersbly. Only occured 4 times since August.

They have a small squad and have been fortunate not to have many long term injuries so far.

They've lost one of the best players in the league this month.

Think Wednesday will grind their way up, have experienced players now, Plymouth keep thinking they’ll fall away  but they keep getting results and see them and Ipswich getting enough to keep us just enough behind unfortunately, a few poor draws burton Morecambe Shrewsbury Exeter Fleetwood etc will cost us but let’s be Frank at the start we had next to nothing so anything in the top 12 would of been a great achievement personally! 

Without stating the bleed1ng obvious. Warne has got us where we are with a fully inherited team. We are all aware that in the Jan window we can only get freebies and loans, where as others can spend. So what Warne has will be the pick of those who do not have a team.

What Warne does have is a team of bandits/ dirty dozen built by Rosenior who managed to get a good few players he should have had no right to persuade to play in league one.

We are playing good football and moving in the right direction. This will help when trying to talk those players who are available and think they are still at championship level, to drop into league one and get on the might Rams rolling band wagon.

Top 2 would seem a long way off, but I for one would have taken a top six place this time last year, hell I would have just been happy with still being a football club. 

COYR

13 minutes ago, Andicis said:

xG is surprising pretty good at appraising over a long number of games and isn't often wrong. In individual matches it means nothing though.

It is wrong though, above says they are around 8th when in the real world where actual goals count they are top of the table. 

Points, wins, promotions, relegations are not decided on some rogue "expected" stat. 

At this point we're just creating meaningless stats for stats sake.