Ipswich v Derby (A) Matchday Thread - ‘and it’s live’

i-Ram

4 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

Really don’t get all the vitriol I’m seeing online.

I said exactly the same after the Man City game. I have all the time in the world for a manager that tries to play good football. If the manager actively chooses to play terrible football, because he thinks it will help him win, but then loses anyway, then he deserves all the criticism coming his way.

3 minutes ago, Oldben said:

I ask the question, is our team terrible.

Is pw terrible, he got Rotherham promoted 3 times from this league, so I'd have thought we would be doing better.

If the issue is the tactics, how's that possible, considering he got Rotherham promoted 3 times from this league.

We've only played a few games under Warne so we shouldn't jump to conclusions.

The immediate problem in my opinion is the system. We're playing a 352 with players who do not suit the formation. It's square pegs in round holes again. We just look lost at times. To play that system you need proper wingbacks, we don't have any.

He is obviously a good manager, getting a club like Rotherham promoted 3 times isn't luck. The squad we have also has good players. But maybe not the right combination of players at this time for what Warne is trying to do.

16 minutes ago, vonwright said:

It's bizarre. Sixteen shots to three in a game we were 'chasing' for half an hour. No shots on target for us, and we never looked like having one. Eleven corners to three. In what world is that an evenly balanced game? 

It's just like the 'officials conspiracy' crowd. The referees aren't the problem here. 

They didn’t look like scoring though. We gifted them the goal. Wildsmith wasn’t threatened, they didn’t create much of note. The stats are irrelevant, they created very little. So in that respect it was even. I’d have settled for a 0-0. The moment you concede in these games a half decent performance looks terrible as we had zero attacking threat.

27 minutes ago, Rev said:

I didn't think tonight was so bad, against probably the best side in this league. 

Cigarette paper between them and us, we came out second best due to an individual mistake.

Think that is an overly positive view. I thought Derby looked really poor. Couldn’t string passes together, individual errors, Another penalty given away. Thought it was a very disappointing performance, no threat at all apart from from 85 mins on wards. 

We need to get to January in and around the top 6 and all Warne can do at the moment is work with what he's got.

Barkhuizen worked fine at wing back in the other 2 away games, but it didn't tonight. That's just how it goes sometimes.

Who plays right back in a 433? Smith? Knight? Chester? That's the dilemma. Because we decided not to sign a right back. 

We had an off night in terms of attacking threat, but Wildsmith did not have a save to make either (other than the penalty that was never a penalty). We've got to apparently the second best team in this league and handed the game to them on a plate. 

We're 2 points off 4th with a game in hand. The next 3 games we need to be aiming for 9 points. 7 at the very least.

So by MK Dons away we could be sat comfortably in the top 6.

The squad is so short at the moment though, we all know it. Warne knows it. 

We need full backs, wingers, a centre mid at least in January. Because we're an injury from NML and Barkhuizen from not having a winger at the club. Sounds like Barkhuizen has tweaked his hamstring too.

Also. Please take Bird out of this team. He's offering us absolutely nothing. So lightweight, doesn't put a tackle in, passing is absolutely hideous.

Next game I'd Davies and Barkhuizen are out. Then I'd go:-

Wildsmith

Chester Cashin Roberts 

NML.       Smith.         Forsyth

Hourihane Knight

Osula.  Mcgoldrick 

19 minutes ago, vonwright said:

It's bizarre. Sixteen shots to three in a game we were 'chasing' for half an hour. No shots on target for us, and we never looked like having one. Eleven corners to three. In what world is that an evenly balanced game? 

It's just like the 'officials conspiracy' crowd. The referees aren't the problem here. 

Today we weren’t good enough I’ll admit… BUT the referees are a massive problem. The amount of bad decisions is ridiculous. (Granted me occasionally get the benefit)

I just don't think our teams as good as some folks like to think it is.

The quicker they realise that then the sooner the acceptance will come of what's a realistic target for this season. 

On what I've seen since the summer then Top 10 pushing the playoffs with this group should be reasonable.

Anyone even contemplating automatic promotion need to get a grip.

6 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:
10 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Will that be next season from League two, well we are currently 8 points off relegation and an unlucky 13 off automatic promotion this season.

If you think we're going to get promoted automatically this season with that group of players then you need to give the crack pipe a rest for a while 

You need to read my statement again Tyler, it was a reply to another which stated "Warne would get us promotion but not this season" I was taking the mick by stating we would get promotion from League two, at the same time pointing out we are closer to a relegation place than an automatic promotion place.

37 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

We can't blame the refs. The odd penalty going against you happens, but five in three matches suggest were making a habit of making crap tackles in our own area on a regular basis and giving the refs a decision to make.

It's a more fundimental problem than bad refs. 

"Giving the refs a decision to make" doesn't mean they have to make the wrong one four times out of five. Ok all those four pens were missed or saved.. but what if we had been awarded four extra penos for nothing? .  

10 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Will that be next season from League two, well we are currently 8 points off relegation and an unlucky 13 off automatic promotion this season.

I'm not a betting man but if I were, I'd put money on Derby NOT being relegated. We may be 13 points of the automatic promotion place but, we're still only 1 point off the play offs (4 at worse after the weekend). For the record, I'm not saying we'll make the play offs but to be talking about relegation at this stage is pessimistic beyond belief. We may only be 8 points off the relegation zone but there are 15 teams below us.

Just now, Mckram said:

I get he had preferred style of players, but Rosenior even admitted that they lost a lot of players from the takeover dragging on.

Warne and Rosenior have very different styles. Even if Warne adopts a new style of play to suit the players, that isn’t going to happen in 6 games or whatever it’s been.

I just wish fans would give him this season as a minimum without getting on his back. I’m so fed up of new managers and everyone thinking that will solve everything. 

I’m not suggesting Warne leaves, or that I want him gone, but I think some questions can be raised about how he is setting us up. NML and Barks as wingbacks seems counter productive and leave us exposed and stops them being effective further up the pitch. Surely fozzy or Robert’s should be in one of those spots. We have really technical players in midfield, but we are just bypassing them - bird had some of the lowest number of touches for any player on the pitch. It is a worry to me that he is seemingly setting us up like his Rotherham team when we don’t have players suited to that. He needs more time, but right now I don’t think he’s getting the most out of the tools at his disposal and that is concerning. 

6 minutes ago, Mckram said:

I get he had preferred style of players, but Rosenior even admitted that they lost a lot of players from the takeover dragging on.

Warne and Rosenior have very different styles. Even if Warne adopts a new style of play to suit the players, that isn’t going to happen in 6 games or whatever it’s been.

I just wish fans would give him this season as a minimum without getting on his back. I’m so fed up of new managers and everyone thinking that will solve everything. 

We have to give him at least the season…….whether he does well or not.

1 minute ago, Tyler Durden said:

I just don't think our teams as good as some folks like to think it is.

The quicker they realise that then the sooner the acceptance will come of what's a realistic target for this season. 

On what I've seen since the summer then Top 10 pushing the playoffs with this group should be reasonable.

Anyone even contemplating automatic promotion need to get a grip.

We just need to make sure we're in and around the top 6 going into the new year.

There's no reason we can't make the playoffs at the end of the season. I think that should be the expectation.

Top 2 looks unrealistic at the moment but I'm not writing anything off.

5 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

"Giving the refs a decision to make" doesn't mean they have to make the wrong one four times out of five. Ok all those four pens were missed or saved.. but what if we had been awarded four extra penos for nothing? .  

I’m with Warne on the penalties being awarded. 

Ref doesn’t give it, 7 second delay, THEN the linesman waves his flag like a madman after players surround him. That’s what is most frustrating.

Not losing any sleep to losing to Ipswich away, expected to and we did. Principal concern is how boring that was, I didn't watch large parts of the second half, was reading the online newspaper in preference. Not laying into Warne, it is clearly noticeable we have a different style of play but some similar issues upfront, woeful decision making and poor final pass/cross. It is frustrating to watch a team that always threatens to produce but rarely delivers. I think Warne will come good next season. I am starting to think we might be overrating some of the players we have here though, even Bird and the likes aren't looking like the world beaters we thought they would in L1. 

6 minutes ago, vonwright said:

We signed good players for this level - some really good players. I assumed the point was to play them in a system that got the most out of them, and also suited the young players we'd managed to keep (and who had played that way for years), with a view to getting promoted either this season or (at the latest) next? I certainly didn't realise they were 'bodies through the door' whose job was to simply keep us in this league until Paul Warne arrived, sold them all, and the 'real' rebuild began!

Hourihane, NML, Barkhuizen, McGoldrick - all of them could easily have been playing a level above League One. They aren't 'bodies through the door', and it's insulting to them (and Rosenior and Clowes for that matter) to suggest otherwise.

That’s fair enough. We shall see how the season pans out and who remains next year.

I said bodies through the door to show we signed how many players in a short space of time whilst missing out on targets. We must have spoken to over 30 players in the summer at a guess and I bet that’s still lower than the reality.

We played a side tonight that have been in league 1 how many years and have an established team.

Have we ever started that combination of 11 players together that started tonight…I’d say probably not.